Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
What do we do with all the stuff dd accumulated in seminary

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 9:35 pm
She brought two big suitcases when she arrived at the beginning of the year. She bought more stuff and I sent her also. Dh wants us to ship some stuff back. Is there a possibility to ship stuff to America? Does it worth it? I think she should just give away a lot of her clothes and other stuff. Wwyd.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 10:08 pm
Is she going to wear her uniform skirts after seminary? Will she wear the tops they require? If not, leave it. If yes, then you have to decide the cost benefit. Will it be cheaper to ship it back or will it be cheaper to buy new?

paperflowers

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 10:12 pm
A lot of people will leave things like seforim and linen for girls coming next year. Some of her clothing will probably not be in the best condition by the time the year is over and can get thrown out in Israel instead of waiting until she gets home to throw it out. She can choose to donate some of her clothing in Israel instead of bringing it home, but it depends on if she will wear it or not once she gets home.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 10:22 pm
In case she wants to ship something how can she ship it and how much is it?

amother
Stoneblue

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 10:49 pm
I think you're better off finding someone who's traveling with only one suitcase and pay the fee of $100 to bring a 2nd one!

amother
Magenta

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 11:10 pm
Can she pay for a 3rd suitcase?

Honestly the clothing is ruined in Israel. I am not a picky person and wore things that got discolored etc in seminary. Farthest thing from a JAP. Quite the nerd actually. But I brought stuff home and ended up tossing almost all of it. Once I compared the whites from Israel to the whites here... it was very gray.
Plus girls don't tend to wear uniform clothing when they get back.
Try to get her to throw stuff out. Donate it. While I believe in only donating stuff I would wear, the standards are different and at least when I went the Israelis loved the American clothes. Even the worn stuff.

amother
Poppy

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 11:42 pm
At the end of my seminary year a lot of girls donated to a local gemach. Uniforms, leftover school supplies. Clothing didn’t really get ruined. But definitely some shoes were worn that I left them. Also left a few cheap dresses/sweatshirts that I bought for cheap and knew I wasn’t going to wear at home.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 11:48 pm
amother Magenta wrote:
Can she pay for a 3rd suitcase?

Honestly the clothing is ruined in Israel. I am not a picky person and wore things that got discolored etc in seminary. Farthest thing from a JAP. Quite the nerd actually. But I brought stuff home and ended up tossing almost all of it. Once I compared the whites from Israel to the whites here... it was very gray.
Plus girls don't tend to wear uniform clothing when they get back.
Try to get her to throw stuff out. Donate it. While I believe in only donating stuff I would wear, the standards are different and at least when I went the Israelis loved the American clothes. Even the worn stuff.

Thanks. She probably will need to get rid of a lot of stuff. Btw isn’t very difficult to fly with 3 suitcases?

essie14

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 2:44 am
Does she expect to wear the clothing?
I doubt it and I'd tell her to donate or throw away.
Sefarim and Linen, she should leave for someone coming next year.
I don't remember bringing home a lot of stuff from seminary. We all threw most of our clothes away. They weren't worth keeping.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 7:37 am
If she is coming home for Pesach,a lot of people bring a bunch of things home then.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 11:16 am
amother Cadetblue wrote:
If she is coming home for Pesach,a lot of people bring a bunch of things home then.

I booked her the flights to America for pesach but she might stay in Israel for pesach. She also going on the Poland trip in June. they only allow one check in suitcase on the trip.

amother
Valerian

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 12:00 pm
amother OP wrote:
I booked her the flights to America for pesach but she might stay in Israel for pesach. She also going on the Poland trip in June. they only allow one check in suitcase on the trip.

Can she send some things back with friends who are coming back to the US for Pesach, for pay if necessary?

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Mar 12 2024, 12:51 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks. She probably will need to get rid of a lot of stuff. Btw isn’t very difficult to fly with 3 suitcases?

Not at all. Luggage trolleys
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info