Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Making your own wine from grape juice

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 1:59 pm
I saw a few videos on YouTube that it is fairly simple to make your own wine from grape juice. Just add sugar and yeast and wait 15 days and you have wine. Did anybody ever try? Did anybody hear ever ever try with Kedem as it contains sulfites.

effess

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 2:06 pm
I’m not a wine maker. So I might be showing off my ignorance.
I can’t see how grape juice that has already been pasteurized and preservatives added, would become wine. I believe the pasteurization process stops the juice from fermenting.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 11 2024, 2:14 pm
effess wrote:
I’m not a wine maker. So I might be showing off my ignorance.
I can’t see how grape juice that has already been pasteurized and preservatives added, would become wine. I believe the pasteurization process stops the juice from fermenting.

I thought the same thing, but if you look online, there’s a whole Movement of hobbyists that are making wine from Welch’s and it’s also pasteurized. They even make fruit wines from apple juice in the same process as I described above also pasteurized that you have to add your own yeast. It would be pretty cool if it actually works. I just don’t see the Welches grape juice having the sulfites as opposed to the Kedem.

amother
Electricblue

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 8:11 am
Why would you want to do this?! If you think it will taste like wine... I'm sure it wont. It will taste like fermented grape juice! If it were so simple then everyone would be doing it. But dont let my negativity stop you. I would be fascinated to find out how it goes!

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 10:23 am
My sons did this a few times using juice squeezed from fresh grapes. Results were mixed. The likelihood of contamination by rogue microorganisms is high and the results reek like the dumpsters behind greasy-spoon eateries. OTOH they've also produced a decent bottle or two. As an activity for the fun of it, to educate your children, and for bragging rights, like making your own butter from heavy cream, it's worth doing once or twice. As a way of saving money by stocking your shelves with good wine for the price of grape juice, dream on. To do it right you need more equipment than just a big jar and some juice.

Amarante

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 10:25 am
I am sure it would taste bad but might be fun.

FWIW family legend is that my great grandmother made wine during Prohibition as well as some form of schnapps - otherwise known as bathtub gin.

amother
Clover

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 1:43 pm
You want yeast added to your drink?
Its bad enough we use it in bread products.

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Mar 15 2024, 3:04 pm
No legend, my grandmother made wine from raisins. My dad didn't tell me if it was any good. It may have tasted like rotgut for all I know. My husband's grandmother made wine from the cherries that grew on a tree in her yard. Every so often a bottle stopper would shoot out as the pressure of the fermentation gases overcame the friction of the stopper. Hubby also never told me if it was any good.

Elfrida

Post Sat, Mar 16 2024, 10:52 am
My father was quite a serious hobbyist at wine making, and we used to have all kinds of equipment around the house. He made real grape wine a few times (from grapes, not grape juice) but preferred to experiment with all kinds of fruit and vegetables. He normally got good results.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics