Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Allergy friendly vacation

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 16 2024, 7:00 pm
We almost never go on vacation, it is too hard with life threatening (anaphylactic) allergies.

We do go on vacation and bring our own food, but it is such a big stressor before going and also limits us (has to be somewhere we can get to with the food still cold, somewhere with a fridge, not for too long so we don't run out of food) and also ruins the mood for the non-allergic people in the family who want to eat at a hotel or restaurants.

Anyone have ideas for an allergy friendly vacation that does not involve us bringing our own food?

DrMom

Post Sat, Mar 16 2024, 7:34 pm
To what are you allergic?

amother
Tan

Post Sat, Mar 16 2024, 9:58 pm
We always bring our own food. Most hotel rooms have a mini fridge. We use coolers with ice or icepacks during the day.

It really works. Nobody complained from my crew--The the longest we did was 4 days.

amother
Snow

Post Sat, Mar 16 2024, 10:13 pm
If you are willing to do something a little different, how about an RV camping trip? We do it every summer. It’s a lot of work to pack all the food but you have a fridge and kitchen on board and it’s easier to prepare food than in a hotel.

amother
Moonstone

Post Sat, Mar 16 2024, 10:42 pm
What about an airbnb in Orlando? You'll have a full kitchen, and the vacation experience is not food and restaurant focused.

amother
Black

Post Sat, Mar 16 2024, 11:18 pm
BH we don’t have allergies but we always take our own food from home when vacationing. Restaurants are so expensive and kids hate having to behave. I’m sensing that it’s more the mental load of the allergies that’s hard, because so many people who keep kosher are accustomed to bringing food from home and it’s not that big of a deal. Key is making sure everything is frozen solid when you leave.

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 12:13 am
amother OP wrote:
We almost never go on vacation, it is too hard with life threatening (anaphylactic) allergies.

We do go on vacation and bring our own food, but it is such a big stressor before going and also limits us (has to be somewhere we can get to with the food still cold, somewhere with a fridge, not for too long so we don't run out of food) and also ruins the mood for the non-allergic people in the family who want to eat at a hotel or restaurants.

Anyone have ideas for an allergy friendly vacation that does not involve us bringing our own food?

Not sure what your allergies are but we have travelled all over with our own food. We've taken long road trips that take 2-4 days to reach a destination. We pack food on ice, in coolers, replacing ice as needed. We only take what we can't buy while away. Mostly meat and dairy items (we keep CY) and buy eggs, fresh fruit, veggies, etc. wherever we end up. I have a set of travel pots and pans. We stay in Airbnb places with full kitchens.
It can sometimes be stressful for me - sure, eating out instead of cooking feels way more like a vacation - but on the other hand it allows us to go anywhere we want and not be limited to places with kosher populations. It is definitely doable.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 12:53 am
We spent a week and a half in New Hampshire last summer and brought almost all our own food. We supplemented locally with fruits and veggies and some snacks, but we brought all major meal components with us, including for Shabbos. We stayed in an Airbnb with a full size kitchen so we had plenty of fridge and freezer space and we triple wrapped everything before using the oven. Ask your own rav, but we also kashered the microwave to use as well.

It takes a lot of pre-planning and work ahead of time, but we ate well on vacation. Some things we brought completely cooked and they just needed to be defrosted and warmed up. Other things we prepped ahead and froze raw and cooked them fresh, like marinated tilapia or chicken cutlets. We brought disposable grills and barbecued once a week with frozen hot dogs, burgers, and chicken.

You can go somewhere with restaurants and take turns going out and staying home. I have a nephew with anaphylactic allergies and my sister cooks and brings along food when they go on vacation. Some nights my brother in law takes the other kids out to eat while my sister stays at their Airbnb with the kid who is allergic and any younger kids who might not behave at a restaurant, and sometimes my sister takes the older kids out on her own while her husband stays back with the other kids. That way not everyone is "deprived" because of the one child with restrictions.

Frumwithallergies

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 1:09 am
I have travelled through Europe and Israel with family members (including myself) with anaphylactic allergies to peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, chickpea, kiwi, eggs and dairy. I brought along pots and pans and made sure I could kasher the kitchen. Alternative, I have brought single and double burners with me. We usually eat simply when we travel. But sightseeing and making memories makes everything worth it

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 1:12 am
We've traveled to more than one place with limited kosher food.
I cook beforehand and bring fully frozen suppers - chicken, Meatballs, ziti, pepper steak. Also cold cuts can be frozen.
If you live in the US and are traveling within the US, you can get kosher bread and snacks and cheese and obviously eggs and fresh fruit and vegetables anywhere.
I order knives and cutting boards and foil plans and whatever other utensils we need on Amazon and have them arrive the day before we get there.
You can buy a cheap Betty crocker as well.
We stay in an airbnb with full kitchen. Kasher the stove and oven. Double wrap everything in foil.
Lots of vegetables at every meal.
We make the attractions the main event, not the food.
I don't know what your allergies are, obviously, but if there's any way you can buy treats, it will make the trip special. Ice cream, candy, chocolate, etc.
Even if you find something available online, order it and have it sent to your airbnb.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics