Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Ideas to save money when making a simcha

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 1:34 pm
This is my second post for ideas for families to save money when making a simcha.
For those who wish to check my first one, I posted it on December 14th.

Someone has suggested to us that we add cloth serviettes to our existing Gemach of tumblers, wine glasses etc. Does it already exist? If yes, would anyone know if there is a big range of colours to choose from. We are always happy to hear other suggestions for items that would be a help for those hosting a Simcha.

Thank you.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 2:12 pm
Gemachs are amazing and save people money only if they have the time to pick up and drop off.

If a Gemach wants to help out a larger segment of the community, provide pickup and drop off services

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 04 2024, 2:24 pm
I live in a large jewish community so for many people it only takes five minutes or less to drive to where the Gemach is located so collecting the items works out fine for everyone.

Mother1010

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 7:05 am
I found that just limiting your list of people was the best way for me to save lots of money.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 11:49 am
amother Sienna wrote:
Gemachs are amazing and save people money only if they have the time to pick up and drop off.

If a Gemach wants to help out a larger segment of the community, provide pickup and drop off services

Wow, no gemach I have ever heard of offers drop off and pick up. It is definitely saving you money even if you have to pay an uber there and back. If not, just buy it yourself.

It does bother me when gemachs charge a significant amount of money to use, real gemachs may take a deposit in case of damage but then give it back if not. This kind of gemach for serving pieces and decor has saved me so much money and allowed me to make beautiful simchas with the pretty things that make it feel extra but the budget just didn't stretch for.

amother
Honey

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 11:51 am
My issue with gemachs is the limited windows for return. A ball hasimcha needs a day or two to recover before returning.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 4:17 pm
We have a glasses gemach and we don't insist on a fast return of the items borrowed unless we need them back fast because somebody else is using the glassware the next day for their Simcha.

We also don't charge at all for using our glasses but we do ask for a deposit against breakages.

We are lucky because when we lend out the glasses most people don't ask for their deposit back which helps the gemach expand and help more families hosting a Simcha.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics