Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Video about dangers of drinking
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Impatiens

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 11:34 am
amother Catmint wrote:
The most respected rov in our city gives a short halacha shiur a few mornings a week in my son's yeshiva.
He told the boys that they should not be getting drunk. They can drink a little wine and be yotzei.
That was very powerful, because ds heard it from someone whom he is me label from.

Sorry but he should not be advising KIDS to drink. ANY AMOUNT.
1. It is illegal for them to buy wine.
2. It is illegal for a non parent to give them alcohol.
3. It is dangerous.
4. It can lead to greater addiction.
5. Kids don't know when to stop.

I could go on.

Alcohol consumption before age 26 is problematic as the brain isn't fully formed. But the earlier they consume, the worse outcomes.

amother
Impatiens

Post Sun, Mar 17 2024, 11:39 am
amother Daylily wrote:
I woke up when my dd was two months old to noises and she was choking on her own breastmilk/vomit too. Bh I woke up and patted her, put her upright and she then vomited all over me but it was one of the scariest moments in my life. Her face was blue it was so scary.

This is scary. But in a bigger child/adult one doesn't necessarily check on them while asleep. They also could pass out on the front lawn of some stranger (I have seen a kid throwing up on Purim outside).

Alcohol makes them pass out. They can black out and be hard to wake up. It also makes them vomit. The combination is deadly.

No one should be getting drunk. And no child should be drinking any amount!!! Their body size, metabolism, and tolerance means that even a small amount could get them drunk. The whole rule of thumb for how many drinks an hour before reaching .08 doesn't work for kids. ANY amount is illegal.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 3:24 pm
https://youtu.be/QalnisJfHEw?s.....PBrr_

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 5:37 pm
amother OP wrote:
How do you suggest I do that? Lock him in his room for Purim?

The first year my son was in yeshiva, I told him on purim I was coming to the yeshiva to check on him. If he was at all tipsy I was dragging him out of there by his ear-in front of all his friends. BH I didn't need to embarrass him.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 6:05 pm
amother Pansy wrote:
An enemy is better than a dead child

It isn’t either or. A good parent educates their child, not keeps them on a leash.
If he still refuses to commit, then he can be punished.
At one point you can no longer lock in your child. So why not teach them?
I just don’t get the harshness to op, we’re all on the same page, she’s trying to educate her son and keep him safe.

chanatron1000

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 6:11 pm
Educating a child is important, but you can't fast forward their brain development. Sometimes it is necessary to take charge until they are ready to be responsible for themselves.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics