Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
People feeling left out. - MM
Previous  1  2

amother
Lotus

Post Mon, Mar 18 2024, 7:36 pm
I would be quite happy giving just 1 or 2 decent MM but I dont have any close friends in my town.
It has become a thing to give to the neighbors on the block - so I did that, originally only a few Jews and now there are more & more...
There is one older not religious woman we became friendly with as newly married - so we always go around to her to give MM.
Then some of the other community members give me - so I need to reciprocate.
Then we go and give to the Rabbi & Rebbetzen - special one for them.
Then we have to give to the school Rabbis and teachers.
Then the children need to give to at least some of their friends...
So we end up making... never enough, and sit travelling in the car all day while the kids / DH runs in & out.
I try to end up with as few MM as possible so I'm not left with loads of garbage.
I hardly spend any time with anyone and then it comes to the seuda and we are just sitting alone at home, maybe 1 other person. Its a bit depressing. Getting few MM is the least of the issue.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 4:22 am
Thank you so much for the reminder. Just messaged a single lady who lives near us to invite her to our seuda.
She often declines my invites and doesn't like going out, but I'll try.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 6:19 am
I think it's beautiful that you're so caring and if there's a way to keep it up without stressing you out, that would be ideal.
The giving out early idea is fantastic. I have several people who have done that to us and I never mind it. I actually think it's very smart and I'm touched that they took the time to come out to us.
I send MM to teachers the last day of school before purim with my kids. I had students who did that when I was a teacher, so I do the same now. It's the easiest, just as appreciated, and means that I don't have to go anywhere to deliver to teachers.
We send the kids out to deliver MM to all the neighbors in the mornings. Then each child is allowed to choose 2 friends they want to deliver to.
Another idea - if you write a purim poem - is to mail it out to some friends who don't live as close along with a nice note saying how you decided to stick to ppl in the neighborhood for delivery because of the chaos, but you're thinking of them and can't imagine not seeing them, so you're sending a piece of MM instead.
It's really the thought that counts, not the nosh. So if you can think of a way to convey that without having to show up, that would be great. You might still have to go to the lonely people, but I'm sure there are some friends you can cut out and send them your love instead and they won't be hurt at all.

amother
Crimson

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 7:35 am
Can you send them an invitation to come to you on Purim? Maybe make a pre seudah thing, with some finger food etc

They feel remembered and you don’t have to go anywhere.

justforfun87

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 9:32 am
amother Lotus wrote:
I would be quite happy giving just 1 or 2 decent MM but I dont have any close friends in my town.
It has become a thing to give to the neighbors on the block - so I did that, originally only a few Jews and now there are more & more...
There is one older not religious woman we became friendly with as newly married - so we always go around to her to give MM.
Then some of the other community members give me - so I need to reciprocate.
Then we go and give to the Rabbi & Rebbetzen - special one for them.
Then we have to give to the school Rabbis and teachers.
Then the children need to give to at least some of their friends...
So we end up making... never enough, and sit travelling in the car all day while the kids / DH runs in & out.
I try to end up with as few MM as possible so I'm not left with loads of garbage.
I hardly spend any time with anyone and then it comes to the seuda and we are just sitting alone at home, maybe 1 other person. Its a bit depressing. Getting few MM is the least of the issue.

Yes, the running around sucks the joy out for me. Your list seems like our list. Just the kids friends and teachers that they HAVE to go to is already overwhelming.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 9:43 am
For the past few years I get a phone call or text from one of my daughter's friends mother asking if they can come by taanis esther afternoon to deliver. They deliver a bunch before purim (not the mitzvah, but still makes people happy) and save a few core for purim itself. So I make sure to prepare a few mishloach manos early for the few who might show early.

amother
Buttercup

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 9:47 am
How many are on your list?
Can you invite them to an open house during the Seuda
In otherwards- have a station of some food and drinks that they can come in serve themselves and enjoy the festivities
Of course if it’s 200 ppl it may be impossible
OR-
You could send out Purim donation cards to these ppl, through the mail.
At least they’ll know someone was thinking of them
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics