Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
How not nice is this? (Giving MM in shul)

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 12:14 am
We moved recently and really only know people through shule. Three people invited us for a Shabbos meal so they obviously get MM, we know where they live.
Its so sad to me to go from preparing 100 MM to just 3! We live to far from our old place to go deliver there.
We would like to give some of the others who were friendly to us in shule. Honestly we don't even know their whole names (on Shabbos we were introduced so quickly we cant remember) to try and find it online.
Can we bring the MM to shacharis and give it to them after davening - giving them the burden of carrying it home?
Should we just buy tzedaka cards and give them?

seeker

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 1:21 am
Definitely fine to bring to shul and give there. I have some friends/acquaintances who I wouldn't generally have time to go to their homes but I know I'll usually see them at megillah reading so I bring mm for them there. I've received that way as well. It's totally a thing .

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 1:25 am
Maybe you can ask the rebettzin or one person whose number you know to give you some addresses and names of others? I would make the effort to go to their houses, if possible, rather than bring to shul.

effess

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 1:41 am
We bring mm to Shul every year. Even though we know their addresses.
It’s so fine where I live.

DrMom

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 1:43 am
I'd definitely bring some mm to shul. Whomever you wind up sitting next to in Megilla reading gets one. Lucky them!

Elfrida

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 1:55 am
Make sure to put your name and phone number on the card, so they can be in touch with you afterwards.

essie14

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 2:06 am
It's totally acceptable in more than 1 community I've lived in.

amother
Chicory

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 6:32 am
For sure you can bring to shul! Put your contact info and make sure your name is clearly on the package. And maybe bring extra so you can give other ppl you meet on the spot - that might make some more friends for you in your neighborhood!
We started giving all our neighbors even though they didn't know us, and by the next year (and since), we all give each other and it was such a nice way to bring achdus here.
Hope you get settled easily in your new place!

amother
Cappuccino

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 9:30 am
I wouldn’t do that. You aren’t going to make for everyone and then it will be weird -
Who are you going to give and who won’t you ?
Also where I live it’s not a thing to bring to shul and if it’s not a thing in your new neighborhood then you will feel strange.
When new people move in we always make sure to bring them MM even if we haven’t had a chance to meet them yet, especially if they moved in the winter time.
I’d prepare some at home so if ppl come you have some to return. I wouldn’t bring to shul.

amother
Rainbow

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 10:58 am
This depends on the community and you’re new so you don’t know your community yet.
I wouldn’t think it’s not nice if someone gave me mm at shul but no one does it where I live. You don’t want to make people shlep a bunch of mm’s home and it might feel awkward giving to some people not others.
The rebbetzin is your best help here. Call her and ask for names and addresses. I’ve asked my rebbetzin things like you know the woman with the brown sheitel who has two little girls and sits all the way on the right side in the second row and sometimes wears glasses, what’s her name?

Mother1010

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 11:03 am
Absolutely, bring it to shul.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 19 2024, 12:38 pm
Elfrida wrote:
Make sure to put your name and phone number on the card, so they can be in touch with you afterwards.

Great idea!! Thanks. Imamother was worth the entrance fee!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics