Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
The land of stories series

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 6:32 am
My 10 year old son is plowing through these books and I’m a little clueless as to the content. Would you all say that these books are appropriate for him?

ak123

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 7:03 am
Depends what you’re comfortable with. The earlier books have some light romance, but I believe later on in the series there is a same sx couple if I remember correctly.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 8:34 am
Oh wow did not know that. Thank you

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 8:46 am
Any idea about Percy Jackson? I’m not concerned about the mythology part. More tzinus like things

amother
Caramel

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 8:51 am
amother OP wrote:
Any idea about Percy Jackson? I’m not concerned about the mythology part. More tzinus like things

I'm not sure why you're ok with literal avoda zara but are nervous about potential kissing scenes What

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 8:53 am
Anyone?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 1:30 pm
Bumping this up hopefully get a response before shabbos

LiLIsraeli

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 1:39 pm
Land of Stories also has some language that I'd prefer my kids didn't read before a certain age. B*st*rd was one that I remember seeing in the first book.

amother
Garnet

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 3:00 pm
Oh no. I did not know about the same socks reference. What book is that in?
I don’t want my 10 yr old daughter to read that

amother
Sage

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 3:24 pm
There's gay stuff in the next series after, iirc.

imthatawesome

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 3:33 pm
I only read the earlier land of stories books which are fine. Can’t speak for the later ones. The first series of Percy Jackson is mostly fine. Minus the whole thing of gods having sx with pretty much everyone. It’s written in a mostly PG way. The second series of Percy Jackson are not appropriate. They discuss same-sx relationships, and I believe our slightly more explicit about sx in general, bordering PG-13.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 3:42 pm
Any ideas for good long series that are clean? Not worried about minor flirty stuff but since he reads so quickly, I need to start getting ideas

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 4:06 pm
amother OP wrote:
Any ideas for good long series that are clean? Not worried about minor flirty stuff but since he reads so quickly, I need to start getting ideas

The unwanteds by Lisa Mcmann. Never finished the series but the first 5 books were definitely clean. Can’t imagine the rest wouldn’t be
The false prince (ascendance series) Jennifer Nielsen
The thief series - Megan Whalen turner - involves multiple gods but clean series.
The palace of laughter - Jon Berkeley
Alex rider series - Anthony Horowitz
Jinx series - sage blackwood
The vengekeep series - Brian farrey
The sisters Grimm - Michael Buckley

imthatawesome

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 4:09 pm
Alcatraz vs the evil librarians (highly recommend this one) by Brian Sanderson
Merlin series by TA baron

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 4:23 pm
Wow thank you so much! Have a great Dhabbos!

amother
Caramel

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 4:44 pm
amother Rose wrote:
The unwanteds by Lisa Mcmann. Never finished the series but the first 5 books were definitely clean. Can’t imagine the rest wouldn’t be
The false prince (ascendance series) Jennifer Nielsen
The thief series - Megan Whalen turner - involves multiple gods but clean series.
The palace of laughter - Jon Berkeley
Alex rider series - Anthony Horowitz
Jinx series - sage blackwood
The vengekeep series - Brian farrey
The sisters Grimm - Michael Buckley

The thief series is literally my favorite series ever and I highly recommend it but I want to point out in case ppl are super particular: there are no explicit sx scenes but it mentions the king sleeping in the queen's bed, "kissing her like a man kisses a wife," etc. but nothing further than that.

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Mar 22 2024, 4:54 pm
amother Caramel wrote:
The thief series is literally my favorite series ever and I highly recommend it but I want to point out in case ppl are super particular: there are no explicit sx scenes but it mentions the king sleeping in the queen's bed, "kissing her like a man kisses a wife," etc. but nothing further than that.

I adore the thief series!! It’s my all time favorite! I can reread it a thousand times over. It’s so brilliantly written
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics