Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Is zachor read before megilla on Purim day?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 23 2024, 3:21 pm
if I didn't hear it on shabbos

amother
Whitewash

Post Sat, Mar 23 2024, 4:16 pm
amother OP wrote:
if I didn't hear it on shabbos

No, but there is an opinion that hearing the Megillah fulfills the mitzvah or zecher amalek just like hearing zachor would.

Elfrida

Post Sat, Mar 23 2024, 4:16 pm
Generally speaking, no. A few shuls might do it specially. The leining Purim morning is from Shemot, about the actual milchamah with Amelek.

The next time you get a chance to hear it will be parshat Ki Tetzei, in the summer, as part of the regular leining.

amother
Tuberose

Post Sat, Mar 23 2024, 8:33 pm
This is shul and community dependent. In many shuls in my neighborhood, yes . You’d have to post your location for us to know if they do in yours

Tzutzie

Post Sat, Mar 23 2024, 8:39 pm
So it's a strong minhag but not halacha according to dh and sefer Diverei Yoel. I guess you can ask you lor.
If you missed it you can hear it end of the year when it's part of the weekly torah portion.

I did hear it. But there have been 2 times I didn't.
You do what you can. The rest not up to us.

amother
Bellflower

Post Sat, Mar 23 2024, 9:07 pm
You can read it from a chumash if u can’t get to shul. It was pouring here so people stayed home and read it from a chumash. It’s from parshas ki seitza and the leining purim morning is from beshalach (I think) so it wouldn’t count

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sat, Mar 23 2024, 9:30 pm
amother Bellflower wrote:
You can read it from a chumash if u can’t get to shul. It was pouring here so people stayed home and read it from a chumash. It’s from parshas ki seitza and the leining purim morning is from beshalach (I think) so it wouldn’t count

The leining DOES count. I was told you can be yotzei Zachor if you hear krias haTorah on Purim
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note