Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Missed Megillah reading. Am I yotzei listening only tomorrow
Previous  1  2

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 7:33 am
amother Ebony wrote:
Why don't you read it yourself? Do you have a kosher megillah?

Most people don't have a kosher Megillah at home, and even if you do, it is unlikely that a person would be yotzei leining from a Megillah scroll without preparation. There are far too many words that when mispronounced would change the meaning and invalidate the leining.

Brit in Israel

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 7:39 am
amother Daisy wrote:
Wow, you are all sound so mean and judgemental instead of giving her advice and being nice about it. Op, did you end up hearing Megillah?

So don't come on imamother to ask if something is ok if you don't want people to say no. The comments aren't mean they are just answer ops question and giving advice on what to do.

seeker

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 9:10 am
amother Daisy wrote:
Wow, you are all sound so mean and judgemental instead of giving her advice and being nice about it. Op, did you end up hearing Megillah?

There are quite a number of helpful suggestions here.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 10:06 am
My yeshivish rabbi just said on Shabbos in shul that women don’t have to listen to megila because it’s about a war and women don’t participate in war.I was also surprised

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 10:07 am
amother Azure wrote:
My yeshivish rabbi just said on Shabbos in shul that women don’t have to listen to megila because it’s a at and women don’t participate in war.I was also surprised

Are you sure he wasn’t talking about Zachor?

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 10:18 am
amother Lime wrote:
Are you sure he wasn’t talking about Zachor?

Actually someone told me. You might be right. Maybe it’s zachor

teachkids

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 10:19 am
amother Azure wrote:
My yeshivish rabbi just said on Shabbos in shul that women don’t have to listen to megila because it’s a at and women don’t participate in war.I was also surprised

This is about zachor. Gemara and poskim are very clear women are just as chayav in Purim as men (except maybe the alcohol)

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 10:22 am
amother Azure wrote:
Yes

I think you should verify. Women are exempt from megilla because it is a mitzvah asei shehazman grama, however like shofer it was accepted upon themselves that it is now considered obligatory. Zachor women are exempt because we do not have the mitzvah of mechias amalek (we don’t go out to fight). It was accepted to some extent; which is why some hold it is obligatory and some hold that it was never formally accepted and therefore not

teachkids

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 10:23 am
amother Lime wrote:
I think you should verify. Women are exempt from megilla because it is a mitzvah asei shehazman grama, however like shofer it was accepted upon themselves that it is now considered obligatory. Zachor women are exempt because we do not have the mitzvah of mechias amalek (we don’t go out to fight). It was accepted to some extent; which is why some hold it is obligatory and some hold that it was never formally accepted and therefore not

Again misconseption- mitzvas aseh shehazman Grama doesn't apply to Purim because we were part of/ brought the miracle. We're totally chayav in megillah like a man.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 10:28 am
Thanks for your responses everyone.
I ended up listening to Megillah last night.
This is such a headache for me every Purim but it worked out this time.

amother
Clematis

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 10:40 am
amother Gold wrote:
I once heard Megillah at night, but then had a baby in the daytime. My husband tried to lean for us, but he does not really know how. The baby was born in the late morning/ early afternoon and it was the last thing on my mind at the time.

I believe a woman within three days of childbirth is patur from everything

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 11:25 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks for your responses everyone.
I ended up listening to Megillah last night.
This is such a headache for me every Purim but it worked out this time.

Kol hakavod!

L'fum tzara agra....

A Freilichin Purim!

(Ran out of English words so I used 3 other languages)

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 12:56 pm
amother Violet wrote:
So sad when we forget what the really important mitzvahs are for Purim and instead spend it driving around to teacher to give MM etc….

Like all of a sudden Purim is a big charidy campaign, and teacher/rebbe project instead of a Yom Tov!

Again, it should be on the community and each individual to make sure that everyone gets to perform the basic mitzvah of the day.

Make your rav aware if you’re having an issue!

While that may be true, it’s also true that the mitzvah of Megillah has somehow been elevated to the level of the most important mitzvos, like shabbos and mikvah. There’s no real reason but just take it for granted without actually thinking about it.

To begin with, Megillah is Derabanan. Also there are so many mitzvos that people aren’t as careful with, but suddenly with Megillah, everyone is so meticulous (to the point that they’ll proudly embarrass/give nasty looks to other women to make sure they don’t “ruin” it).

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 1:10 pm
Muktzeh is also derobannon....
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics