Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Please don't bring babies or young children to megillah
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 7:36 am
pause wrote:
And it's only applicable if reading from a klaf, not from your handheld picture-adorned megillah booklet.

That's not true. Up to half can be said not from the klaf if someone misses any words.

amother
DarkGreen

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 7:37 am
All this stress makes me so relieved that DH leins for us!!! Our leining took an hour, with a break to change the baby's diaper (it was clean before we started). My 3yo needed a drink of water and fell off his chair once, but DH just waited 30 seconds before continuing. Otherwise everyone behaved beautifully.

doodlesmom

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 10:05 am
Every community has an obligation to set up a system where everyone can hear Megillah.

If this is arranging a few readings, readings in private homes, babysitters for those in need, kids readings etc…..

And I think most communities have options, it’s just that people would rather just get over it so that they can start their Purim fun…..

amother
Poppy

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 11:21 am
amother Mint wrote:
The part about it being a community's responsibility to make sure that there are megillah readings that children, the literal future of our people, can be at and that people can hear.

What upsets me is hearing people rant and rave about the kids when in reality the issue is the set up, not the kids. Our kids should be able to hear megillah AND the adults should be able to be yotzei megillah. A community that values children will ensure that both happen.

This isn’t true. There is no responsibility to make sure children below the age of chinuch are at Megillah.
This isn’t where the focus of our community should be.

amother
Crocus

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 12:04 pm
This year I stuck my 3 year old in a stroller in the hallway. Well 1/3 into the megillah she needed the bathroom. Thankfully another mother was outside waiting for her husband to take over child care. Lesson learned. I used a babysitter for the second reading.

patzer

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 1:41 pm
Just came here to add this ... if you're attending a megilla reading (as an adult), please double-check and triple-check to make sure that your cell phone is either turned off or silenced! No matter how lovely your ringer medley is, no one wants to hear it in middle of megilla.

amother
NeonPink

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 5:43 pm
amother Brickred wrote:
Where do you all live? Where I live I just saw a spreadsheet with many shuls having readings for multiple times, ones for kids and ones without kids.

Also how do you not have anyone to babysit? Where is your husband???

I live in a place where there are only two Orthodox shuls and one of those is questioable, and the megilah readings were at the same time. Baby sitters are super hard to come by, and they also need to hear megillah. We usually watch each others kids when needed, but we all need to hear megillah.

B"H the kids were great and no one minded - it's a family event! People understand that we want the kids to be involved and this is a great way for them to ❤️
Page 9 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 Recent Topics