Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Do you tip Walmart delivery?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Daffodil

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 10:44 pm
amother Alyssum wrote:
I did tip at least a small amount. Then our finances tanked. It's buying the kids a bag of apples or tipping the delivery person. I choose the apples.

(The USPS, Fedex and Amazon drivers, who shlep equally or more heavy packages to my porch, don't get tipped. And the Walmart delivery driver is not picking out my groceries, just driving them to my house. And they do get paid for this. Admittedly not that much, but it is a paying job.)

It’s really expected to tip for delivery because it’s an extra service.

amother
Daffodil

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 10:45 pm
amother Alyssum wrote:
No, there are workers in Walmart that do that. And they offer pickup for free, no Walmart+ subscription needed.

On instacart the shopper does the delivery too.

amother
Alyssum

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 10:54 pm
amother Daffodil wrote:
On instacart the shopper does the delivery too.

Right. That's why Walmart+ is not the same as Instacart. And the subscription pays for the deliveries.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Mar 24 2024, 11:06 pm
I dont tip...I have walmart plus because I dont own a car, but can't really afford to tip ..

KollelMommy

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 1:28 pm
amother PlumPink wrote:
Walmart or not Walmart - someone's labor is someone's labor - it's worth the same as if they're delivering from Walmart, Target, or Bloomingdale's. If you're saving money buying from Walmart, all the more so, use those savings to tip your shopper or delivery person appropriately.

For grocery shopping/delivery, I always tip 20%, or $10 minimum for a smaller order. If I order heavy items like bottled water or multiple 12-packs of soda, I tip more on top of that, and if the store is further away mileage wise. $3 is a cheapskate tip. If you're ordering a couple times a week, try to order less frequently but tip more perhaps. Anything less than $5 for a small order is a chilul hashem.

I disagree. Walmart+ is a subscription I pay for, which includes the ability to have my groceries delivered. As far as I know, Target and Bloomingdale's don't offer that service. And I do think there's a difference in expectations between a Walmart shopper and Bloomingdale's shopper tipping ability.

If you have the means to tip more, that's great.

amother
Jean

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 1:32 pm
amother Glitter wrote:
Just to clarify. Over $35 there is no fee for shipping, without Walmart+

For grocery delivery, or site shipping? Site shipping does have free over a certain amount, but I think grocery delivery always costs without Walmart+.

amother
Lily

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 3:11 pm
I dont tip. I’m paying for a service . I shop in Walmart because it’s cheaper than the local stores but if I tip it’s not cheaper and I can rather give the Parnassa to the local store. This is part of the service . With the tip I wouldn’t ship by them and they d lose my business and my membership fee.

Throw the tomatoes . Remember the tip is optional and I have the right to be prudent with my spending

amother
Strawberry

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 3:37 pm
I tip generously just because I have a Jewish name, and I live in a very Jewish complex and I want to create a kiddush Hashem for my usually non Jewish delivery person.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 8:16 pm
KollelMommy wrote:
I disagree. Walmart+ is a subscription I pay for, which includes the ability to have my groceries delivered. As far as I know, Target and Bloomingdale's don't offer that service. And I do think there's a difference in expectations between a Walmart shopper and Bloomingdale's shopper tipping ability.

I do agree that the expectations for tipping are different for Wal Mart as opposed to Bloomingdale.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 8:26 pm
I tip because these people are coming to my house, know where I live and don't need them pissed off at me and keying my car or something.

And because really they deserve to be paid for their work and I know the companies they work for pay them very badly. And herein lies my resentment with having to tip at all. There are so many service fees already, the company should pay these delivery people a fair wage and leave me alone with the tipping nonsense.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 8:44 pm
amother PlumPink wrote:
Walmart or not Walmart - someone's labor is someone's labor - it's worth the same as if they're delivering from Walmart, Target, or Bloomingdale's. If you're saving money buying from Walmart, all the more so, use those savings to tip your shopper or delivery person appropriately.

For grocery shopping/delivery, I always tip 20%, or $10 minimum for a smaller order. If I order heavy items like bottled water or multiple 12-packs of soda, I tip more on top of that, and if the store is further away mileage wise. $3 is a cheapskate tip. If you're ordering a couple times a week, try to order less frequently but tip more perhaps. Anything less than $5 for a small order is a chilul hashem.

Really? For a $300 order you’d tip $60?
I often get Shipt orders that are quite expensive but only a few smile items. Like once I only got AirPods. I did not tip $25 for delivery of one tiny lightweight object. (Don’t remember the amount I tipped, I always tip at least $5 though)

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 8:50 pm
amother Lily wrote:
I dont tip. I’m paying for a service . I shop in Walmart because it’s cheaper than the local stores but if I tip it’s not cheaper and I can rather give the Parnassa to the local store. This is part of the service . With the tip I wouldn’t ship by them and they d lose my business and my membership fee.

Throw the tomatoes . Remember the tip is optional and I have the right to be prudent with my spending

You’re possibly making a chillul Hashem

You could buy local instead but by using Walmart’s delivery, you’re saving yourself a trip. It is a service and also if you don’t tip it may be a chilul Hashem

amother
Wandflower

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 8:50 pm
amother Glitter wrote:
Just to clarify. Over $35 there is no fee for shipping, without Walmart+

Many many many items are not available for shipping.

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 9:00 pm
I use Instacart and I tip 20%

When you consider that someone is driving to the store - shopping for your groceries - possibly texting you to let you know something it out and do you want a replacement - waiting in line - loading the groceries - driving to your home and then delivering to your door

Instacart workers essentially make all of their income from tips when you factor in the cost of a car which they are using. Base pay could be $4 and generally isn't more than $7

I have kind of gotten used to the tipping behavior of many imamothers which feeds into unpleasant stereotypes of Jews.

FWIW, in many of the delivery services the tip is a bid and the best tips generally get the bet workers - experience - with 5 star ratings - who have been shopping for several years.

amother
Bergamot

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 9:08 pm
amother Lily wrote:

If you tip $3 it won't be cheaper than shopping locally? Of course it will. It's just rude not to tip when you do delivery, no matter how you rationalize it. And a big chillul hashem. But you do you. And don't be surprised when you get bad ratings and shoppers don't want to pick up your order.

amother
Alyssum

Post Mon, Mar 25 2024, 9:38 pm
amother Bisque wrote:
I use Instacart and I tip 20%

When you consider that someone is driving to the store - shopping for your groceries - possibly texting you to let you know something it out and do you want a replacement - waiting in line - loading the groceries - driving to your home and then delivering to your door

Instacart workers essentially make all of their income from tips when you factor in the cost of a car which they are using. Base pay could be $4 and generally isn't more than $7

I have kind of gotten used to the tipping behavior of many imamothers which feeds into unpleasant stereotypes of Jews.

FWIW, in many of the delivery services the tip is a bid and the best tips generally get the bet workers - experience - with 5 star ratings - who have been shopping for several years.

Walmart does NOT work like Instacart.

amother
PlumPink

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 11:33 pm
amother Alyssum wrote:
Right. That's why Walmart+ is not the same as Instacart. And the subscription pays for the deliveries.

Walmart drivers depend on tips to supplement what Walmart pays them to deliver orders. Your subscription does not cover that tip, it covers Walmart's fulfillment services. You don't need to tip quite as much as for a full-service shopper that is an independent contractor, but it's expected that you tip. Keep in mind that Walmart drivers don't just pull up to the store, have items put in their car, then drive to you. They often must sit for long periods of time waiting for Walmart employees to bring out your order - time you're not spending in that parking lot or shopping in the store. Depending on distance from store and heavy items in your order, tipping at minimum $5 is expected for Walmart drivers.

amother
PlumPink

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 11:39 pm
amother Arcticblue wrote:
Really? For a $300 order you’d tip $60?
I often get Shipt orders that are quite expensive but only a few smile items. Like once I only got AirPods. I did not tip $25 for delivery of one tiny lightweight object. (Don’t remember the amount I tipped, I always tip at least $5 though)

It depends - 20% on orders for 1-3 high value items (vaccuum, coffee maker, electronic item) - no. That falls under "small order." 20% on a $100 order that includes 45 misc items all over a store with good service, lots of communication, I get everything I need? yes. AirPods may be lightweight, but very few shoppers will accept orders with AirPods in them, as those are typically scam orders with stolen credit cards or plans to report an order missing for a refund fraudulently. And those AirPods are locked up - it can be a pain tracking down an employee to unlock them based on my experience shopping for myself at stores.

amother
PlumPink

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 11:42 pm
KollelMommy wrote:

Sure they do - Target uses Shipt shoppers that shop and deliver orders every day and customers pay a subscription fee. You're paying Walmart for your subscription. Tipping is still the norm and is expected. You can not tip but it reflects negatively on you and on the Jewish community.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 11:51 pm
amother PlumPink wrote:
Walmart drivers depend on tips to supplement what Walmart pays them to deliver orders. Your subscription does not cover that tip, it covers Walmart's fulfillment services. You don't need to tip quite as much as for a full-service shopper that is an independent contractor, but it's expected that you tip. Keep in mind that Walmart drivers don't just pull up to the store, have items put in their car, then drive to you. They often must sit for long periods of time waiting for Walmart employees to bring out your order - time you're not spending in that parking lot or shopping in the store. Depending on distance from store and heavy items in your order, tipping at minimum $5 is expected for Walmart drivers.

Aren’t the drivers also the shoppers?
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics