Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Can I Apply for Medicaid/SNAP While Temp Unemployed

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 9:38 pm
I am out of work two weeks so far due to medical situation. Likely will be another two weeks or so until I can go back, possibly more.
I do have an anticipated going back date yet in meantime not making income. There are no disability benefits.
Am I allowed to apply for these few weeks of making $0? We do need the money to cover the month.

If it makes a difference, if I do get paid, its for hours that will be worked after this time because they divide all the income for the year evenly so the amount ill receive is reduced to reflect these weeks not worked yet in reality, im making $0. They are not paying me for this time.

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 9:56 pm
Yes.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 10:12 pm
Medicaid doesn’t give you money it gives you insurance. Are you no longer insured through your job?

Also applying today means you won’t have coverage till 5/1. Is that still helpful ?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 26 2024, 10:14 pm
amother Goldenrod wrote:
Medicaid doesn’t give you money it gives you insurance. Are you no longer insured through your job?

Also applying today means you won’t have coverage till 5/1. Is that still helpful ?

its ok if coverage starts 5/1.
I do not have insurance through work. Im on a marketplace plan

amother
Almond

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 6:11 am
amother Goldenrod wrote:

Also, SNAP can also take time to complete the process and get approved.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 6:30 am
I suspect your applications will not be processed before you’re at work. Depends what state you’re in though.

In NJ, my Medicaid application has been pending for four months. The representative I spoke to said hopefully it will be approved next week. They didn’t even look at it until this month.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 7:25 am
While theoretically possible, it would seem logistically difficult to stop your current medical insurance for a few weeks and then start over again.

You would likely need to find new providers since Medicaid often has different networks and it is probably your current providers don't take Medicaid.

When you no longer qualify for Medicaid based on your income, you would then enroll and your deductible and out of pocket cap would start again because you would be starting it over again - not pausing it.

EBT is different since you either qualify or you don't. If you qualify. you would receive the benefits and when you don't qualify, they would stop. It may or may not be worth it depending on how much you would actually receive.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 7:30 am
So we recently lost benefits two months ago and have a pending application. We didn't upload income because we realized we won't qualify.
I already met my yearly out of pocket/deductible with the marketplace plan in under two months because of medical stuff going on. Id want Medicaid for dental or backup insurance yet probably would keep the marketplace as secondary.
SNAP would be so so so so helpful right now

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 7:46 am
Medicaid will take 3-4 months at least to process your application

Also if you are getting income currently, even if it’s for different pay periods and not for this specific time, it still counts as current income. Also they typically look at expected income for the year, so if you know your going back to work in a few weeks and will continue your regular income, you won’t qualify

amother
Strawberry

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 7:54 am
If you're in NY the application is done online and you get instant eligibility status. They will ask for estimated annual income. If you are eligible, you get Medicaid backdated to beginning of this month. And you remain on Medicaid for 12 months from when you applied, even if you update your income in the future and you are no longer eligible.

amother
Winterberry

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 8:58 am
amother OP wrote:
So we recently lost benefits two months ago and have a pending application. We didn't upload income because we realized we won't qualify.
I already met my yearly out of pocket/deductible with the marketplace plan in under two months because of medical stuff going on. Id want Medicaid for dental or backup insurance yet probably would keep the marketplace as secondary.
SNAP would be so so so so helpful right now

Medicaid is ALWAYS the payor of last resort. So if you have another plan THAT plan pays first. So you can't just use 1 card for 1 doc and medicaid for another. You show both cards at all visits.
And it is all computerized so they can check...

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 9:01 am
You should double check but I don't think you can get a premium subsidy through the state marketplace and also get Medicaid.

That would be a form of double dipping in terms of government benefits.

Also - and again double check - but my understanding is that you can't designate which plan is primary or secondary as there are rules that cover that. I believe that Medicaid is always secondary because the government's goal is to have private insurance cover as much of the cost as possible.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics