Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Baby clothes with yellow stains

Amethyst

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 12:13 pm
I've been going through my kids old clothes and there are a lot of baby clothes (both boy and girl) that have yellow (formula/spit up) stains on them. B"H we have a lot of baby clothes and I'm not planning on keeping the ones with stains. I don't know about all of the gemachim here, just one or two that I think don't want to take stained clothing. Does anyone know if there are any gemachim that would want these clothes, or anybody you know who would want them? Maybe the stains can come out if you treat them... Some of them are really nice stretchies but are stained and at this point I'm not keeping them anymore (kept some of them for several years already....).

Otherwise I'm going to get rid of them, just figured I'd check first if maybe there is someone who could still benefit from these clothes, even if they are stained.

Please don't bash why would I give someone something I wouldn't use for myself. I did keep them and use some of them, but at this point I can't keep all the clothes anymore and some things have to go. And if I needed to I would try to soak and treat them too.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 12:14 pm
Have you tried to soak them for a few days in oxyclean? Those stains might come out.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 12:16 pm
I used to spray them with St Moritz. Most of the time the yellow stains would come out. Some people do it with the ezoff brush also. Good luck

Amethyst

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 12:17 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Have you tried to soak them for a few days in oxyclean? Those stains might come out.

No, I haven't. I know I could try to do it, but I don't have room/need these clothes, and I'm already trying to keep up with necessary laundry that I don't feel this is a priority for me to try to do. And it's quite a bit of clothing, not just a few stretchies.

Last edited by Amethyst on Wed, Mar 27 2024, 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Amethyst

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 12:17 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
I used to spray them with St Moritz. Most of the time the yellow stains would come out. Some people do it with the ezoff brush also. Good luck

So maybe someone would want them?
Or are you saying I should try doing it, and if they come out, then donate to a gemach here?

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 12:18 pm
Chayalle wrote:

I was going to say the same thing.

I took my DC tomato and cherry picking. The outfit was ruined and I stuck it in a bag. I found it 2 years later with the next kid. Soaked it in oxyclean for a good few days-figured I had absolutely nothing to lose and I was in no rush so I let it sit until I had time to deal. It came out beautifully.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 12:20 pm
Amethyst wrote:
So maybe someone would want them?
Or are you saying I should try doing it, and if they come out, then donate to a gemach here?
I would only donate it if it was clean. No one really wants to take something that they will have to work hard to get clean. If you're up to it, I would try only to send beautiful clean clothing. If I wasn't able to do it, I would just trash it.

Amethyst

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 12:22 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
I would only donate it if it was clean. No one really wants to take something that they will have to work hard to get clean. If you're up to it, I would try only to send beautiful clean clothing. If I wasn't able to do it, I would just trash it.

Ok thanks.
I have bags of other clothes I'm donating for local families that are clean.
Just wasn't sure if there was a way to give these to someone instead of throwing them out.

Amethyst

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 12:24 pm
ShishKabob wrote:

Let's say I do manage to treat and get out some of the stains, and donate them. Don't these stains come back? Is it not deceptive to donate these types of clothes when they *look* clean?

Last edited by Amethyst on Wed, Mar 27 2024, 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Pansy

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 12:24 pm
Amethyst wrote:
I've been going through my kids old clothes and there are a lot of baby clothes (both boy and girl) that have yellow (formula/spit up) stains on them. B"H we have a lot of baby clothes and I'm not planning on keeping the ones with stains. I don't know about all of the gemachim here, just one or two that I think don't want to take stained clothing. Does anyone know if there are any gemachim that would want these clothes, or anybody you know who would want them? Maybe the stains can come out if you treat them... Some of them are really nice stretchies but are stained and at this point I'm not keeping them anymore (kept some of them for several years already....).

Otherwise I'm going to get rid of them, just figured I'd check first if maybe there is someone who could still benefit from these clothes, even if they are stained.

Please don't bash why would I give someone something I wouldn't use for myself. I did keep them and use some of them, but at this point I can't keep all the clothes anymore and some things have to go. And if I needed to I would try to soak and treat them too.

I had this recently as well. Took all the clothes, put them in a huge Rubbermaid bin with oxyclean powder and warm water, let it soak for 2 days. Then washed on warm in the longest cycle my machine allows, and dried it all (I usually hang dry stretchies but had no time/space etc) when they were all done, I took out the good ones (a lot of them!) and posted on free chats in my area (Jackson) all were taken pretty quickly

amother
Anemone

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 12:25 pm
I totally understand you OP.
unfortunately most ppl wouldn't take stained clothes even if it might come out great after soaking/treating and washing.

I always feel guilty throwing out clothes that would look beautiful after washing.
Most gemachim are not equipped to treat and wash the clothes and will just throw it out if they can't put it on the shelf as is!

So unless you want to do the work before passing it on, just throw them out!!

Amethyst

amother Pansy wrote:
I had this recently as well. Took all the clothes, put them in a huge Rubbermaid bin with oxyclean powder and warm water, let it soak for 2 days. Then washed on warm in the longest cycle my machine allows, and dried it all (I usually hang dry stretchies but had no time/space etc) when they were all done, I took out the good ones (a lot of them!) and posted on free chats in my area (Jackson) all were taken pretty quickly

Hmmm... maybe I could do that. I have some big empty Sterilite bins, I could probably use two of them and do that. Ok maybe I will!

Last edited by Amethyst on Wed, Mar 27 2024, 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

ShishKabob

Amethyst wrote:
Let's say I do manage to treat and get out some of the stains, and donate them. Don't these stains come back? Is it not deceptive to donate these types of clothes when they *look* clean?
Not really, if they come out, they come out, it's not lurking in the shadows...

Amethyst

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 12:27 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
Not really, if they come out, they come out, it's not lurking in the shadows...

Oh ok. I don't know, my mother always used to tell me that once something is stained from formula, even if you get it out it will come back... But maybe that was just the way she perceived it or experienced it.
I guess maybe I will try tonight in 2 big containers!

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 12:28 pm
Amethyst wrote:
Oh ok. I don't know, my mother always used to tell me that once something is stained from formula, even if you get it out it will come back... But maybe that was just the way she perceived it or experienced it.
I guess maybe I will try tonight in 2 big containers!
It comes back if the baby throws up on it again! Smile

Amethyst

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 12:34 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
It comes back if the baby throws up on it again! Smile

Smile

amother
Wandflower

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 3:04 pm
Just want to share, I did some volunteering in a Gemach. It's so frustrating going through bags and throwing things out. It's a whole lot of work for the volunteers.

amother
Lightgreen

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 3:39 pm
I give that stuff to Goodwill sometimes.
Deja new is currently accepting “usable” clothes (not good enough for Serendipity I guess) that I assume they sell by the pound.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries