Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Pesach out-of-town tips

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 4:58 pm
Living in a place where you can't just go to the store and buy kosher l'pesach food, what tips do you have?
I have lists of what I can buy (fresh produce, sugar, kirkland almond flour, extra virgn olive oil, non iodized salt, eggs...) and I have some food shipped including the basic spices, ground meat, chicken legs, wine, matza, tomato sauce, potato chips, potato starch.
Anyone have recipe suggestions? I know how to make soup, kugel, basic chicken, potatoes, meat balls. Yes gebrokts (but don't have matza meal), no kitnios.
Other tips or suggestions?
TIA!

Raisin

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 5:42 pm
Why don't you order matza meal now to be shipped? Plenty of time. Or if you have a food processor you can grind up matza to make matza meal.

Chabad uses almost no processed food so basically every meal is chicken/beef/lamb/fish, potatoes of some sort, (kugel, roast, mashed...), soups, and vegetables.

We eat fruit or eggs for breakfast, or my kids eat sliced bananas and milk, lots of matza and avocado.

amother
Honey

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 5:51 pm
Very oot here.
We make a menu of every meal before Rosh chodesh.
I get input from the kids and a week before pesach we go to a nearby city 4 hours away to buy all the Jewish stuff.
Years we couldn’t go, we made an order and a friend who did go brought it for us.

amother
Yarrow

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 5:52 pm
Do you live driving distance to a kosher store? My in laws plan a trip a few weeks before and one of them drives a few hours, shops, spends the night and comes home.

Also, there really is a ton of stuff you can order these days. I would look now before it runs out.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 6:00 pm
amother Yarrow wrote:
Do you live driving distance to a kosher store? My in laws plan a trip a few weeks before and one of them drives a few hours, shops, spends the night and comes home.

Also, there really is a ton of stuff you can order these days. I would look now before it runs out.

Yes, a few hours away, but not a big one-limited selection even there. I think we're probably going to be better off using basic ingredients and just finding enough recipes that work.

bakingmom

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 6:46 pm
For desserts you could make sorbet, either fruit sorbet (fruit, orange juice and sugar) or grape juice sorbet.

If you can get chocolate, chocolate mousse with eggs, sugar and chocolate.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 6:52 pm
I would start with a menu

amother
Snowflake

Post Wed, Mar 27 2024, 8:26 pm
Amazon has a whole Passover store
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics