Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Has anyone kashered only half of their kitchen
Previous  1  2

amother
Yolk

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 2:25 pm
If your closing it off before your kids come home, I dont see that it should be a problem.
Cover it by taping something onto the top cabinets, going all the way down to the bottom cabinets so that no one can put anything down accidentally.
Same for the sink, cover it from above, all the way down to the cabinets

takeiteasy

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 2:27 pm
I kasher the milchig side of the kitchen 2 days before pesach. It is too much pressure if your hand are or arent chometzdig. The kitchen stays a strict no chometz room

amother
Nemesia

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 2:28 pm
Do what's easier for you and too bad on your kids. The chometz in the dining room sounds like a great option even if it's a bit inconvenient for them. Unless they are offering to majorly help you with cooking, if you are having a large crown and need the time to cook, do what you need to do.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 2:29 pm
I do this every year but one "section" of my kitchen is quite separate from the others, so I leave that part chametz until a day or two before Pesach. It only gets tricky when someone needs something from the fridge (which is in the Pesachdik part) but I am very vigilant and my kids are old enough to be responsible.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 2:30 pm
I think another thing that is nerve wracking is the fridge once you start cooking for pesach. I obviously have chometz in my fridge 10 days before pesach but I will also have let’s say eggs that I need for baking. A teen decides he wants scrambled eggs and with takes out the eggs but he might have crumbs on his fingers from slicing his bagel. These types of things get me so nervous. The hard part is the in between when we still need chometz but already started pesach cooking.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 2:31 pm
amother Mintgreen wrote:
I do this every year but one "section" of my kitchen is quite separate from the others, so I leave that part chametz until a day or two before Pesach. It only gets tricky when someone needs something from the fridge (which is in the Pesachdik part) but I am very vigilant and my kids are old enough to be responsible.

Yes, the fridge. I just posted about that problem.

tichellady

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 2:37 pm
It’s fine and halachically I believe that the drop of chometz not being bitul doesn’t apply to food cooked before pesach

amother
Grape

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 2:37 pm
I once went away for the entire Pesach. I wanted to bring along cookies and muffins.

I koshered 1 oven. Used a folding table for prep. It worked out great.

I did fully clean the kitchen, no food was on the counters.

amother
Steel

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 2:41 pm
amother OP wrote:
I think another thing that is nerve wracking is the fridge once you start cooking for pesach. I obviously have chometz in my fridge 10 days before pesach but I will also have let’s say eggs that I need for baking. A teen decides he wants scrambled eggs and with takes out the eggs but he might have crumbs on his fingers from slicing his bagel. These types of things get me so nervous. The hard part is the in between when we still need chometz but already started pesach cooking.

I keep all pesach refrigerator things in garbage bags.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 2:53 pm
amother OP wrote:
No, I don’t have an attic. My basement is rented out. Last year I decided to make my dining room into a “chometz kitchen “. I had a folding table on the side with the urn, toaster, Betty Crocker and even an electric burner. Okay, the chometz was in boxes under the table but they really had everything the needed. They still complained. Probably because they had to wash in the bathroom or maybe it’s because everything was different and not what they are used to. Motzei shabbos hagadol I did my dining room. It worked out last year. This year I’m not sure if I want to wait until motzei shabbos to do the dining room because it’s erev pesach right after. But we do need a place to eat on shabbos… not sure what we’ll do.

So what if your kids complain about the set-up? Don't pay attention to it,you are preparing for Pesach and they will survive.
If you have space to install a Pesach kitchen then go for it Smile

imasinger

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 3:03 pm
amother OP wrote:
I did that and it really did work out but I think it’s hard for my family if it’s for a few weeks instead of for a few days.

IME, it's actually easier when it's a couple of weeks. Everyone gets used to it.

asmileaday

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 3:03 pm
I've been doing this for years and it's not a big deal (for me). But I also don't stress about real or imaginary crumbs that may be on their fingers when they take stuff out of the fridge.

My milchig side is near my kitchen table so it works out very well.

It's much calmer for me to have a chometz side/sink, while being able to start Pesach cooking early. I only do it a week in advance though, not more.

Bleemee

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 3:23 pm
ra_mom wrote:
A close family member always did it. She'd do it for one day only and concentrate on cooking all.day.long. Made sure it was a day that no kids were around (took off from work while kids in school).
She would kasher one side, line it with corrugated plastic (without tacking it down) and work, work, work. She accomplished a lot. Then she'd put everything back to chometz. So there was no confusion of one side chometz one side KLP. It was just kosher for pesach for one day and nobody ate any chometz in the house that day.

I know someone who does this, too, with her entire kitchen thought, so she can cook early and then she kashers again for actual YT the day before.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 3:47 pm
asmileaday wrote:
I've been doing this for years and it's not a big deal (for me). But I also don't stress about real or imaginary crumbs that may be on their fingers when they take stuff out of the fridge.

My milchig side is near my kitchen table so it works out very well.

It's much calmer for me to have a chometz side/sink, while being able to start Pesach cooking early. I only do it a week in advance though, not more.

I don’t really 2 different sides. It’s sort of like an L shape but the second sink is on a small island in the middle of the kitchen.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 3:49 pm
Bleemee wrote:
I know someone who does this, too, with her entire kitchen thought, so she can cook early and then she kashers again for actual YT the day before.

Well, I am definitely not kashering and covering two times!

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 3:58 pm
amother OP wrote:
I don’t really 2 different sides. It’s sort of like an L shape but the second sink is on a small island in the middle of the kitchen.

Mine is sort of similar. I always kasher my island last. But, I also have two separate ranges away from each other so no cooking is happening anywhere near pesach stuff.

For the fridge, I bag everything that is pesachdik so that it stays separate and covered. I also try to separate a shelf for pesachdik stuff if I can.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics