Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Long shabbos

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 9:03 pm
Looking for ideas of what to do on long shabbosim to pass the day. We try to make the meal later and go on a walk (to the park if it’s nice weather), play some games, sometimes nap.. and the day is still so long!! It’s just my husband and me and a toddler.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 9:15 pm
Does he nap? If so nap when he does!

613mitzvahgirl

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 9:25 pm
Do you have friends or family or relatives near by that can come over? Do you have books or magazines that like? Or maybe you can get books during the week and save them just for Shobbos?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 12:09 pm
Even with napping with my toddler, he wakes up at 2 and then we still have 6 and a half hours to go…
Some weeks we have nearby friends or family that stayed home for shabbos sometimes not. I love reading I just feel bad leaving my husband hanging…

Cookin4days

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 12:30 pm
It’s not your job to entertain your husband. If he doesn’t want to read that shouldn’t stop you from reading

Cheiny

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 12:41 pm
613mitzvahgirl wrote:
Do you have friends or family or relatives near by that can come over? Do you have books or magazines that like? Or maybe you can get books during the week and save them just for Shobbos?

I struggle with the same. The men have their Shabbos day more broken up, with all the Shul-going. Even with taking a walk, having a nap, playing a game, reading, the day is still very long…

amother
Calendula

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 1:36 pm
It's a good time to go meet your neighbors!
I also bought a few games that my husband is willing to play.

Racko: https://amzn.to/3xknwRS
Uno: https://amzn.to/4adRlSB
Jenga: https://amzn.to/3xibYOX

amother
Calendula

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 2:58 pm
Also if I'm not niddah, we spend a lot of time Shabbos afternoon on our bedroom....

Buy items that are sensory but not mukzah that you can try out (feather, massage roller)

mha3484

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 3:03 pm
Does your shul have family programming? Mine has babysitting/kids groups so I would go, then come home for lunch, nap, go to the park then it was bed time. Now with more kids and a full time job I am a lot lazier shabbos morning but I should really start going back to shul again. But when I just had one toddler that was our basic shabbos day schedule. I also made so many friends from the park and from shul who are still my friends many years later.

amother
Calendula

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 3:18 pm
amother OP wrote:
Even with napping with my toddler, he wakes up at 2 and then we still have 6 and a half hours to go…
Some weeks we have nearby friends or family that stayed home for shabbos sometimes not. I love reading I just feel bad leaving my husband hanging…

Maybe he can watch the toddler and you can nap or go to a neighbor to shmooze.

Also, as a couple you can learn a sefer together.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note