Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
What's the latest you would go away for Shabbos if invited
Previous  1  2

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 11:29 pm
Friday morning.
I have one kid and Shabbos can get boring. Sometimes I'll invite myself to my inlaws or they will invite us.

One week I decided to make Shabbos Thursday night, I baked cookies, made the chicken, dips, etc. My FiL asked if we wanted to come for Shabbos I responded I already cooked chicken. He told me to bring it along - so I did!

It was nice! They live locally but we don't have an Eiruv so it's a change of scenery. We show up right before Shabbos too and it's easy to pack a change of clothes for everyone and a few extras. We go ready for Shabbos so it's easier

amother
Blushpink

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 11:33 pm
amother Cantaloupe wrote:
Friday morning.
I have one kid and Shabbos can get boring. Sometimes I'll invite myself to my inlaws or they will invite us.

One week I decided to make Shabbos Thursday night, I baked cookies, made the chicken, dips, etc. My FiL asked if we wanted to come for Shabbos I responded I already cooked chicken. He told me to bring it along - so I did!

It was nice! They live locally but we don't have an Eiruv so it's a change of scenery. We show up right before Shabbos too and it's easy to pack a change of clothes for everyone and a few extras. We go ready for Shabbos so it's easier

Same!

I think I'm gonna do that this week actually.
Gonna make some food tomorrow and bring it along.

amother
Blushpink

Post Thu, Mar 28 2024, 11:33 pm
amother OP wrote:
Definitely the former reaction rather than the latter. I can put most food into freezer but not fish which is too expensive to serve for a weekday supper.

Definitely don't go OP! You have no obligation on such short notice.

m-u-a-mama

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 12:24 am
I once booked tickets Wednesday night to fly Thurs to in laws for shabb (5+ hr flight!)

tichellady

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 12:55 am
This is so far from my life experience. But I guess Thursday.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 7:20 am
I'm sorry you're not being thought of earlier. Hug

Golde

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 7:53 am
The question is hypothetical to me as I don't recall ever being invited to stay with anyone for the whole of Shabbos.
I guess up until a point on Friday where I still had the time to pack our stuff. In the summer that would be fairly late on Friday. I'm often exhausted on Fridays and if I felt I couldn't face company that eve, I'd decline. Otherwise I'd accept. It's not so much about what preps I would have done. I've often been invited out for meals after having prepared the food myself already. Generally I'm really happy then as I can freeze the food and don't have to cook next week.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 8:00 am
ra_mom wrote:
I'm sorry you're not being thought of earlier. Hug

Thanks for reading between the lines Smile We're hardly ever invited out so when we are, I want it to be a full break for me, not cook plus pack plus deal with kids in a different environment. Lemme have a cooking break at least. Once some of it is done, it's no thankyouI'llratherstayhome.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 8:02 am
amother Yellow wrote:
Until I put my cholent up Friday morning. Everything else I make can go in the freezer.

Dunno why I missed this post yesterday. I would freeze cholent, but I can't freeze fish which I prep before my cholent.

amother
Blushpink

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 8:45 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks for reading between the lines Smile We're hardly ever invited out so when we are, I want it to be a full break for me, not cook plus pack plus deal with kids in a different environment. Lemme have a cooking break at least. Once some of it is done, it's no thankyouI'llratherstayhome.

OP would it be okay to ask the people who invited you this week if you could come next week instead?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note