Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Pls help me keep Lego organized in apartment

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 9:50 am
BH I'm usually very good at organizing but all the Legos is driving me crazy and I can't figure out how to keep them contained. I've tried keeping them in different rooms and have come to the conclusion that keeping them in my boys bedroom is the most manageable. We have a big tub and about 5 building sets in boxes/containers. I've tried different types of containers, as well as taking apart the sets and storing them in the tub (big mistake). I've tried getting my boys to only take out one set at a time and clean up when they're done, but that only works if I'm in the room the whole time. By bedtime, the Legos are everywhere and completely unmanageable. I've tried to get them to only play with the Legos on big trays to stop them from spreading but that also only works when I'm in the room. I've thought about a Lego table but it's going to clutter the room and I'm not convinced that it's going to keep the Legos from spreading. Also, the papers from the building instructions for the sets end up everywhere. Ive tried rules, consequences, only taking out a couple at a time and putting the rest in our storage unit. My boys are Lego obsessed and play with them from the time they get home until bedtime. With everything else they're able to keep things tidy and clean up nicely when they're done. It's just the Legos that are constantly everywhere. I wish that I had a basement where I can set up a Lego corner with a table and nice storage but that's not an option for now.
Any advice for a desperate mommy on how to contain Lego is appreciated! (And yes, I've already invested in slippers with thick soles to protect my feet whenever I step on a piece LOL )

amother
Thistle

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 10:01 am
It sounds like you have more than us, this may not be helpful, but what works for me is in living room area, on a large open shelving unit mainly used for toys & games, the whole bottom shelf is two very wide but shallow (maybe 7 or 8 inches tall) lidded bins filled. So the majority of the time it's closed contained.

Highstrung

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 10:50 am
I got this recently and it’s a huge help in containing the mess and cleaning up . The Lego stays on the mat and you pull the string and it squeezes into the bin.
This solves keeping the mess at bay .
Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! $14.07 65% Off | Toy storage for children Quick storage bucket Toy storage basket Fabric Lego building block storage bag
https://a.aliexpress.com/_msDFCfo

You may need two of these

As far as instructions goes , I put all the instructions booklets into page protectors in a loose leaf and the boys would use as needed . We didn’t keep sets separate . We mix all the Lego pieces together . This also helps them become more imaginative and they make their own creations by using pieces from multiple sets .

My challenge is where to keep the things they built that they don’t want to break.

amother
Geranium

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 10:58 am
There are lots of storage solutions but none of them will work if your boys don’t cooperate at all. You will end up being the one doing all the clean ups and organizing.

One idea that works well for apartments- You can build or buy huge trays that slide under their bed or under the couch, but they need to cooperate in playing only on those trays.

Put all instruction manuals in a box with a lid.
You can get cheap plastic drawers for storing all loose pieces. Or ikea storage.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 11:15 am
Highstrung wrote:
I got this recently and it’s a huge help in containing the mess and cleaning up . The Lego stays on the mat and you pull the string and it squeezes into the bin.
This solves keeping the mess at bay .
Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! $14.07 65% Off | Toy storage for children Quick storage bucket Toy storage basket Fabric Lego building block storage bag
https://a.aliexpress.com/_msDFCfo

You may need two of these

As far as instructions goes , I put all the instructions booklets into page protectors in a loose leaf and the boys would use as needed . We didn’t keep sets separate . We mix all the Lego pieces together . This also helps them become more imaginative and they make their own creations by using pieces from multiple sets .

My challenge is where to keep the things they built that they don’t want to break.

These are great suggestions! Thank you! Love the page protector idea. For the Ali express item, how big is the top thing that the Lego spills into?

For the things that they build, I have nice looking floating shelves on their wall. Each boy has his own shelf. The rule is that when the shelf gets too full then something needs to be taken off/broken up.

Highstrung

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 11:24 am
amother OP wrote:
These are great suggestions! Thank you! Love the page protector idea. For the Ali express item, how big is the top thing that the Lego spills into?

For the things that they build, I have nice looking floating shelves on their wall. Each boy has his own shelf. The rule is that when the shelf gets too full then something needs to be taken off/broken up.

It spreads out really nicely . I don’t know measurements but its around 36” in diameter I think . My kids have spread it out on the dining room table or on a 39” bed , and it fit on it . We use it on the floor too.
I find we have a bit more Lego than we could squeeze into this 1 container so I recommend at least two of them. I have the solid grey one. The yellow part has Velcro to stick it to the Velcro inside the container. So you could either detach it completely from the container or keep it attached while still spread out . As long as they stick to the rule of keeping all the pieces on the mat , it takes a minute or two to pack away. I really like it. I used to dread when my Lego loving nephew would come visit because he’d make huge mess that was too overwhelming for him to clean up from. I showed him this mat, and he spread it on the table so that his baby sister couldn’t reach it and it was a pleasure for him to play and clean up.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Mar 29 2024, 11:47 am
Highstrung wrote:
It spreads out really nicely . I don’t know measurements but its around 36” in diameter I think . My kids have spread it out on the dining room table or on a 39” bed , and it fit on it . We use it on the floor too.
I find we have a bit more Lego than we could squeeze into this 1 container so I recommend at least two of them. I have the solid grey one. The yellow part has Velcro to stick it to the Velcro inside the container. So you could either detach it completely from the container or keep it attached while still spread out . As long as they stick to the rule of keeping all the pieces on the mat , it takes a minute or two to pack away. I really like it. I used to dread when my Lego loving nephew would come visit because he’d make huge mess that was too overwhelming for him to clean up from. I showed him this mat, and he spread it on the table so that his baby sister couldn’t reach it and it was a pleasure for him to play and clean up.

I'm going to try this out. Thank you! The reviews say that the container is flimsy and difficult to shlep around. Did you find that? Is it well made? Will it break if used every day? Ideally if I'm going to get this Id like it to last for several years.

amother
Narcissus

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 12:01 am
My way of organizing Lego was not having any. We got the giant ones that are the size of bricks for our toddlers, and never allowed the smaller ones in our home.

Highstrung

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 1:49 am
amother OP wrote:
I'm going to try this out. Thank you! The reviews say that the container is flimsy and difficult to shlep around. Did you find that? Is it well made? Will it break if used every day? Ideally if I'm going to get this Id like it to last for several years.

It’s made of fabric so the cover doesn’t seal well and falls off and when moving it around . I don’t find it difficult to move around. It had two rope handles and you need to use both hands.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 1:57 am
I think Amazon has some similar things.

Just for a different perspective, as annoying as it is, it’s such a good healthy creative play.

life is fun

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 4:45 am
amother OP wrote:

I got one of those years ago.

Quality wasn't amazing, handles broke very quickly etc but it's still usable and suits its purpose and a fantastic way to keep the lego.
So easy to clean up.
I keep the bag in an ottoman storage box so it's nicely put away and comes out when they want to play.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics