Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
HELP - I have a biter!!!

cubbie

Post Sun, Aug 31 2008, 12:32 pm
dd is 17 months and has just started to bite her older sister. When she bites or attempts to bite (thankfully dd1 has usually got out of the way in time when she sees her sister approaching ready to bite) I take her hands, look her in the eye and say, "no, we don't bite" to which she automatically replies "kiss" and goes to kiss her sister, and then doesn't do it for a few hours. This evening though she tried once, then gave the kiss and then a couple of minutes later she tried again, so the second time I said "no, we don't bite, now I have to take you out of the room" and I took her out and put her in her crib and left her for a few minutes. Am I dealing with this the right way? And how long does this phase usually last?

gigi

Post Mon, Sep 01 2008, 10:10 pm
you sound like a great mom.
it sure sounds like you are doing a good job, and handling the situation very well.

I haven't had any biters, so I don't know how long the phase lasts,
but it's good to remember that children of that age have short memories, and not very good impulse control.
that's why you have to keep reminding them over and over not to do the same thing.
a frustrating stage.. to be sure..
at least they make up for it with all their cuteness. Smile (hopefully)

allgood

Post Mon, Sep 01 2008, 10:16 pm
My daughter is 22 months now. Shes started biting May time (about 19 months) and it was really serious business. I realized she always got angry b4 she bit and I was therefore able to tell when she was going to bite. At this point she seems to have finished the biting stage and I can't remember when the last time she bit (probably about 3 weeks ago.) I think the fact that she finally started talking enough to tell me s/t is what helped with this.

You seem to be handling it great- hang in there as there's hope Tongue Out
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics