Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Hosting guests for a simcha in the neighborhood

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 1:13 am
We have a guest suite we rent out, but off season (we’re in a vacation spot) we put up ppl who come for a simcha as a hachnasos orchim.

Someone called me a while ago asking if it will be avail for a specific date, told her most likely, but she should call me closer to make sure I can host then. Turns out we had a super crazy week, and didn’t even have any cleaning help this week. Wednesday the sister of the bal simcha called to confirm, my husband took the call and said that yes, our place is available, but since we were barely home this week and super busy the rest of the week, if they can take care of the linen.
I felt bad but figured, ok at least it’s not the bal simcha alone, and we already had once, the week I gave birth that someone wanted to use our guest suite so they sent a family member to change the linen as I wasn’t home and also didn’t have any cleaning help that week (and when I do have it’s for about 4 hours a week, so usually rather have her clean the bathroom and I prepare/clean the rest. But sometimes have her change the linen).

These guests arrived like 1/2 hour to shabbos and they still went to fetch linen by I guess their sister in law. I was just so embarrassed bec this is so not my type… asked my husband to explain these ppl a bit what was going on this week so to excuse ourselves we didn’t do the linen, but he didn’t feel it’s important but I’m so embarrassed…

Sorry for long rambling post, but just had to get it off my chest and if you were my guest- sorry for making you run so close to shabbos to get linen. I still needed to do 73 things and it was so close to shabbos and my husband wasn’t home, otherwise I would’ve showed you where the linen is…

amother
Maple

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 9:06 am
Totally fine imo. Super nice that you give it out. You told them well in advance

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 9:50 am
If I was the guest, I would be super appreciative to you because as someone who lends out a guest room I totally get how busy my week would be if I would had to tell someone to bring their own linen- and the fact that you still allowed me to come would be so kind. I probably would have been a little less nice and said no one could come

Honestly, it's on the baal simcha- she should have been the one to either drop off linen before for her guests to put on or to put on herself, or she should have notified the guest when she gave them your address that they should stop by to pick up the linen.

amother
Mintcream

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 10:09 am
I have been that guest a bunch of times. It was communicated to me that I would need to deal with linen and I try to incorporate time for that. (Half an hr seems fine to me). I didn't mind so much. I was appreciative that despite the craziness, the host still opened their home to me and my family.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 3:01 pm
amother Blush wrote:
If I was the guest, I would be super appreciative to you because as someone who lends out a guest room I totally get how busy my week would be if I would had to tell someone to bring their own linen- and the fact that you still allowed me to come would be so kind. I probably would have been a little less nice and said no one could come

Honestly, it's on the baal simcha- she should have been the one to either drop off linen before for her guests to put on or to put on herself, or she should have notified the guest when she gave them your address that they should stop by to pick up the linen.

Thank you all for validation! Makes me feel less embarrassed!

I thought they were going to send someone to put up the linen. She may have told them they’ll need to pick up linen though, not sure…

(Just wondering about all the hugs… am I that much of a neb?)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics