Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
After school routine?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 2:46 pm
What's your after school routine? Like, right when kids come through the door, not the whole evening. I find that time super difficult because everyone is coming home at once (including me). Some in a bad mood, some want to share, everyone is hungry.

I can't have food ready on the table because I'm coming from work. I usually have easy snacks available (rice cakes, fruit/veggies, cheese sticks) but it's out of sight, out of mind.

Any way to make that time easier, less intense?

amother
Junglegreen

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 2:58 pm
I think it depends on your kids. I will usually turn on some music or a story cd for the kids and they play and I start dinner.
My kids are happy with that though.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 3:00 pm
Younger kids I have an activity ready. Also healthy snack like fruits and vegetables. It is a rough time for everyone. We are all exhausted from the long day. I don’t think there are ways to fully get rid of the difficulty. I just tune out as much as I can so that I don’t get irritated.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 3:20 pm
I rely on crockpot suppers and prepared frozen meals that go in the oven on “delay start”, soups that defrost on the counter all day, etc. trying to cook when walking in with my kids always goes terribly for me (and them!)
Monday is leftovers from shabbos. Thursday we make pizza together and they love that. Leaves me just Tuesday and Wednesday to figure out.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 6:15 pm
amother OP wrote:

I can't have food ready on the table because I'm coming from work. I usually have easy snacks available (rice cakes, fruit/veggies, cheese sticks) but it's out of sight, out of mind.

Any way to make that time easier, less intense?

It's extra work, but if you could prepare a plate of cut-up vegetables and leave it in the fridge, it would take seconds to put it on the table. Put cheese sticks on the plate, and you can leave out a package of rice cakes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics