Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Hormonal Acne

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 31 2024, 5:33 pm
The other post regarding daughters acne reminded me that I wanted to post about my daughters issue. She has acne which is closely related to her cycle. Is this something that a dermatologist can address or does it need to be addressed with someone else?

TwinsMommy

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 8:20 pm
yes absolutely. I work in skin care and my own 17 year old daughter has issues requiring a derm! Can't believe my own skin care knowledge isn't enough for her! lol. At our last appointment he said that if her issues continue to be cycle related he will be switching her med to a different one. I'm pretty pleased for the most part with her on a retinoid cream, clindamycin lotion, and a twice a day pill whose name escapes me at the moment.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 9:27 pm
My problem is that, I don’t think she actually needs anything because certain weeks he face is fine and then the other weeks it’s bad. How would I know if what they gave her is helping.

Would not use hormonal meds at this point.

I think we would just want to treat the actual spots at the time.

I would need to schedule her appointment at a flare up time

amother
Wallflower

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 9:45 pm
Acne is hormonal. Mild-moderate acne can be treated with topical medications. Usually does require consistent treatment. It is normal to have flares depending on cycle. Doesn't change the treatment, which are typically daily wash/creams.

amother
Lightpink

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 9:46 pm
amother OP wrote:
My problem is that, I don’t think she actually needs anything because certain weeks he face is fine and then the other weeks it’s bad. How would I know if what they gave her is helping.

DIM, saw palmetto, vitex and white peony are really helpful with hormone imbalances, especially excess androgens. When I'm consistent with taking them my skin is really clear.

https://rkvillage.com/2017/11/27/clear-skin/

amother
Wallflower

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 9:47 pm
amother OP wrote:

A dermatologist can definitely treat this. This is pretty typical. You would know if it's helping after a while of using it when she doesn't keep flaring up, flare ups are less often, not as bad and clear faster.

amother
Birch

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 9:48 pm
amother Lightpink wrote:
DIM, saw palmetto, vitex and white peony are really helpful with hormone imbalances, especially excess androgens. When I'm consistent with taking them my skin is really clear.

Do you think this is safe while ttc?

amother
Buttercup

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 9:48 pm
amother Lightpink wrote:

Would it help facial hair?

amother
Lightpink

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 9:50 pm
amother Buttercup wrote:
Would it help facial hair?
It definitely could, but if you have pcos there are probably other pieces you'd need to address as well

amother
Lightpink

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 9:51 pm
amother Birch wrote:
Do you think this is safe while ttc?
Some of them can actually help with conception but hormones are complicated and I'm not 100% sure
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children