Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
How many years do wigs last?
Previous  1  2

How often do you buy a new wig?
1 year  
 2%  [ 3 ]
2 years  
 17%  [ 20 ]
3 years  
 28%  [ 32 ]
4 years  
 18%  [ 21 ]
5 years  
 22%  [ 25 ]
6+ years  
 9%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 112

amother
Mocha

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 11:40 pm
My last couple wigs I bought second hand at about $600. They usually go for $1000. I think lasting two years is decent for that price. Unfortunately. Lol. (Which means 3-4 yrs total for this wig)

srbmom

Post Mon, Apr 01 2024, 11:55 pm
I got married with a Shevy - wore it for 12 years. New it was $1500, that was 19 years ago
My 7 yr old one is also a Shevy - bought it used for $1000

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 12:22 am
Thanks for all the responses! So far majority was 5+ years. But I’m curious for those who responded 5+ years if that was with your first ever wig from when you first got married.

essie14

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 12:39 am
I bought a very expensive wig when I got married. Just one. But I didn't wear it daily.
Covid hit when I was married 4 years so there was a long stretch when I didn't wear it. By the time I was married 6 years we had a family wedding so I bought a new , much less expensive, wig and my original wig is a backup wig that I still wear once in a while.

amother
Teal

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 6:07 am
I got two when I got married, they both died around the same time after 7 years
So I got 2 new ones - one lasted 8 years until recently (daily use, all day) and then it was ceremoniously dumped into the kids' dress up box Very Happy

I got a new one for shabbos, and and my 8 year old shabbos one got downgraded to being my weekday one, and I see it's deteriorating fast

amother
Mulberry

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 6:50 am
the problem with my older sheitels is that they're in good shape but look very dated

amother
Dandelion

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 6:55 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks for all the responses! So far majority was 5+ years. But I’m curious for those who responded 5+ years if that was with your first ever wig from when you first got married.

It's hard to know what will make you happy long term when you're buying your first sheitels. In terms of longevity, sheitels cak last 5+ years. But many women replace the sheitels they got when they were first married, and that doesn't mean they continue replacing so frequently after.

amother
Crocus

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 7:29 am
I wear mine for about 3-4 years. Fall, weekday and Shabbos.
But I buy a new one every 1.5 years, alternating which style. So right now I’m replacing my weekday wig that’s 3.5 years old. I got a new fall last year and a new Shabbos 2.5 years before that….

lamplighter

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 9:18 am
Like everything, the older shaitels lasted much longer.
My first shaitels were great for 3 years. At 4 years they started needing repairs and work but I could get another 2-3 years out of it.
I'm not finding that now.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 9:29 am
My last 2 lasted 8 and 10 years. Both died the same time. One I bought on sale super duper cheap. One I bought at full price 10 years ago. I paid 1,250. It was a lemon from day one. It never held a stlye. I had it recut 3x to help. Nothing helped. I rarely wore it. If have it washed and styled a day or 2 before a wedding and by the end of the wedding it was a mop. So I used it strictly for that and paid a fortune setting it. Also it wasn't fit properly to my head (yeah I've moved on from the original sheitel macher) the one I got on sale j used and used and used and loved it. Until it was beyond dead.

I bought a new one less than a year ago. I have only one now, I just style it differently according to what the occasion is. But it's stressful having to style it every time. And washing it more often.
Gonna get another one now iyh. Hopefully this week.
I wear mine a few times a week.

amother
Burntblack

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 9:56 am
amother Lightgray wrote:
Those who have their wigs longer than 6 years 1)you use then daily just sometimes
2)what was the price range?

Wondering if more expensive wigs last much longer

The price range doesn’t matter.
There was a price jump just recently.
Our wigs that are 6y+ are considered cheap now even though they were considered average then.

I use a 6 year old wig almost daily. The cap is worn and I can replace it and keep wearing.
I have an 8 y o wig that was worn for 2 years, it’s in excellent shape still. The hair is amazing, just an older style which I don’t care about.

amother
Carnation

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 11:13 am
I'm not sure how to answer the poll. I buy new wigs when I want a fresh/updated look, not necessarily to replace one that died. So I end up buying a new wig probably about every 1-2 years, but that doesn't mean my old wigs are garbage. It more ended up that I have a bigger collection, which means the older ones last longer because I don't wearing them as much. Today I probably have 7/8 wigs (married 12 years), of which 2 need to be dyed and will give me another couple good years of use, 1 I'm looking to give away/sell, another thats probably garbage, a fall, a short, a long, an everyday, one that probably needs a recut.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 11:18 am
lamplighter wrote:
Like everything, the older shaitels lasted much longer.
My first shaitels were great for 3 years. At 4 years they started needing repairs and work but I could get another 2-3 years out of it.
I'm not finding that now.

This.

The wigs I bough lasted a good 7 years.
Any wig I bought in the last 6-8years hasn’t lasted more than 3 years - sometimes longer if they were worn just for special occasions.

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 11:20 am
My shabbos shaitel is still in good condition and I bought it 8 years ago.

I just replace my weekday shaitel that I bought 9.5 years ago. It probably should have been replaced a few years ago, but I've been working from home the last 4 years and barely wear it, so I couldn't justify replacing it until now.

amother
Sunflower

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 4:39 pm
amother Lightgray wrote:
That's amazing which company wig?

Kiki. They have really beautiful hair.

amother
Opal

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 5:57 pm
Couldn't vote: Once in two-three months

I buy the cheap synthetics on Amazon and don't bother washing. Chuck the old and get a new. I am not a disposable-type person in general so I had to get past the damage I'm doing to the environment... Still the cheapest, most convenient option.

amother
Chicory

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 6:50 pm
I buy curly ones..they do not last long..I also wear my weekday one 6 days a week and they oxidize very quickly and the frizz is sometimes unmanageable. My last Fall lasted 4-5 years..thats my longest wig I ever owned

amother
Nasturtium

Post Tue, Apr 02 2024, 6:52 pm
amother Opal wrote:
Couldn't vote: Once in two-three months

I buy the cheap synthetics on Amazon and don't bother washing. Chuck the old and get a new. I am not a disposable-type person in general so I had to get past the damage I'm doing to the environment... Still the cheapest, most convenient option.
pls can you link?

amother
Gardenia

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 11:26 am
I keep my old ones and buy new for a major simcha or occasion. My first set that I got married with lasted 3-4 years and now every year or 2 I buy another mid range one so I have something new style and my old ones either get repurchased like for under a hat/band or given away. One new one was a lemon so that was upsetting.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels