Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Wearing Carter’s
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Stoneblue

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 9:09 am
amother Rainbow wrote:
Oh ok, so words are fine as long as it’s an expensive name brand?

basically, what about Bobo choses ridiculous prints like chickens and peppers on sweatshirts but hey its in style cuz of the outrageous price tag. Sad world we live in that we created this nonsense.

amother
Hibiscus

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 9:13 am
amother Stoneblue wrote:
basically, what about Bobo choses ridiculous prints like chickens and peppers on sweatshirts but hey its in style cuz of the outrageous price tag. Sad world we live in that we created this nonsense.
I find the words more ridiculous. The prints can be seen as fun and whimsical but there is nothing pretty or cute about a solid tee with Karl Lagerfeld across the front

amother
Hawthorn

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 9:22 am
Reading this, I'm just laughing and feeling so blessed to live in a place that no one cares! I do carters all the time. I actually care a lot that my kids should look put together, clean, and neat. And I care that it shouldn't be expensive but should last well. But I couldn't care less for brand names. Carter's sale items are perfect for us.
Just for the record, my neighborhood is laid back but there are plenty of in-towners here too. And I've gotten quite a number of compliments from them on my kids clothes. I just laugh cuz if only they knew they were Carters! Sometimes I tell them, just to see their reactions.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 9:32 am
amother Rainbow wrote:
There is something a little off with the level of obsession with dressing children in a certain way. I wonder if it’s from being told having children is a women’s main tafkid so it translates to dressing them just so.

For sure spread more nasty thoughts. This is definitely what we emulate. You seem above those cults and horrible people. You believe motzei Shem ra so you are for sure doing the right thing. Good job you are bringing moshiach so much closer.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 9:46 am
amother Aubergine wrote:
I’m so embarrassed reading this.
I grew up not fashion conscious at all and then moved to Lakewood. My kids are teens now. When they were little I did dress them in carters, children’s place, Walmart, target. They probably stood out and I didn’t even realize. My oldest is 18 and I clearly remember buying him baby clothing from children’s place and then toddler clothing at Walmart.
I only started buying clothing at frum stores when I realized that I had no choice for my girls. At first I only bought shabbos clothes at the frum stores. Now they are big and aware of current fashion so they choose their clothing and fit in.
I wish someone sent me a fashion memo when they were little. Although I’m swiping my credit cards these days for certain name brands that my big kids want, I’m so embarrassed that they stood out when they were younger and I didn’t even realize.

Why embarrassed? I dressed my kids in Carter's, CP, Walmart, Target, etc...and so did many of my friends (including some who are quite well-to-do BTW....). In Lakewood. Not embarrassed in the slightest.
The people in this thread who dissent are a segment of the population and not representative of the total.
OMG who remembers when CP opened up in Shoprite Plaza and we all went to shop there? It was so convenient. I even bought my kids Shabbos skirts there. My girls wore CP outfits to my nephew's Bar Mitzvah, and I got tons of compliments, too.
Oh, BTW, BH my girls got wonderful shidduchim despite these apparent faux pas I was unaware of....

Last edited by Chayalle on Mon, Apr 15 2024, 9:49 am; edited 2 times in total

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 9:48 am
The level of obsession on a 3 year old is nuts. I said it. It is crazy and nuts.
The fact that anyone cares what they wear as long as it is clean is ridiculous!!

And those saying " it doesn't have to be expensive brands, as long it has the same look" is not helping. You are still obsessing over a materialistic hashkafa. Is that what we want our kids to follow? That you need a certain look? That to be accepted and to accept others we need to wear certain things? That clothes matter more than who a person is?

Who cares? They are toddlers. Who likely will have toilet training accidents, spill their lunch, or get paint all over them. Or do you saran wrap them so they never get the precious clothes dirty?

amother
Candycane

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 10:15 am
I live in Lakewood and dress my toddler in Carter's, Target and Old Navy. Yes there are probably people who think I'm weird but I really don't care.

Crookshanks

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 10:35 am
Someone asks a dumb question and suddenly we have 5 pages of people b****ing about Lakewood.
Grow up.
Go clean your house.

I can't believe you all are so bored that you have nothing better to do than delay the Geula.

amother
Almond

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 10:39 am
amother Hawthorn wrote:
Reading this, I'm just laughing and feeling so blessed to live in a place that no one cares! I do carters all the time. I actually care a lot that my kids should look put together, clean, and neat. And I care that it shouldn't be expensive but should last well. But I couldn't care less for brand names. Carter's sale items are perfect for us.
Just for the record, my neighborhood is laid back but there are plenty of in-towners here too. And I've gotten quite a number of compliments from them on my kids clothes. I just laugh cuz if only they knew they were Carters! Sometimes I tell them, just to see their reactions.

Why, what are their reactions?

amother
Maize

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 10:40 am
I dress my kids frum style & still find plenty of nice clothes in stores like carters, target etc. Why does it matter where you purchased the item as long as you like the style?

I wouldn't buy everything carters sells but why not buy the styles you like?

Another mom

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 11:07 am
deena19k wrote:
Im currently raising my kids in Israel and love carters!!!!! Theyve opened up stores here but theyre not cheap, so I still have people bring me from the usa....styles are so cute and affordable.

I know! Sometimes they have 2+3 sales etc. Since it's still expensive and good quality, I was sure it's still very "in" and wanted. Anyway, enjoy when you get the stuff!!

amother
Almond

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 11:17 am
Didn't realize until this site that carter's is considered cheap. I thought it was standard, and temu/shein were cheap.

bsy

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 11:25 am
amother Almond wrote:
Didn't realize until this site that carter's is considered cheap. I thought it was standard, and temu/shein were cheap.

Lol. It's not cheap for me. I only buy on sale.

stayAwake

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 11:34 am
They have a lot of nice, even frum looking outfits for kids.
My toddler's whole weekday wardrobe is from Carters/ old navy
Shabbos I'll get from the local stores

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 11:39 am
carters and target is considered cheap but passable. H&M and zara is middle of the way / standard.
jewish companies is standard. like the whole lakewood is in lil legs, tottini and kidichic.
If your more high end or if your in circles where its more standard then Bobo choses, rylee and cru, mini rodini, Kin+Kin, Fub, Misha and Puf, Nunu is what your kids are wearing and then Carters is usually socially off and only used when your not planning on seeing anyone anyway.
Many people cant afford the higher end brands so they order from Ali the copys/damaged pieces that they sell

Coffee Addict

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 11:41 am
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
They didn't stand out. Children's Place and Carter's were very popular 15-20 years ago. Brooklynites clearly remember the lines of frum women at Brooklyn's 13 Avenue Children's Place. I think what happened was: affordable Jewish brands popped up and online shopping became way more popular, making other brands more appealing. Also styles changed.

Just to add, I remember buying my then-toddler daughter the most beautiful adorable outfits at Children's Place one year that thinking back, I still think were so pretty - a nice floral print belted pants with a coordinating color tee, and also the same pants in a light pink with a matching pink butterfly tee.
Also about 10 years ago, Oshkosh had stylish navy buffalo print clothes coordinating for all my kids- button down shirts for the boys, romper for the baby, swing tops for the girls which we paired with yellow skirts- was so stylish. Was really popular with the fashionable people then. And even before that my girls had pretty coral and white tops from Carter's . This year I found matching sea blue vertical striped sets at Carter's for girls and boys that I personally thought was pretty and similar to frum styles but unfortunately now that I have teens, my dd thought it was nerdy and persuaded me not to buy it.

Lol. Agree. I was nodding along reading this post 😄. I had some precious outfits for dd from children’s place, carters, target. I remember what, just like you. That was almost 20 years ago. I always loved fashion, I buy high end too on sale, whatever is adorable and beautiful for great prices 😜

amother
Steelblue

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 11:56 am
Chayalle wrote:
Why embarrassed? I dressed my kids in Carter's, CP, Walmart, Target, etc...and so did many of my friends (including some who are quite well-to-do BTW....). In Lakewood. Not embarrassed in the slightest.
The people in this thread who dissent are a segment of the population and not representative of the total.
OMG who remembers when CP opened up in Shoprite Plaza and we all went to shop there? It was so convenient. I even bought my kids Shabbos skirts there. My girls wore CP outfits to my nephew's Bar Mitzvah, and I got tons of compliments, too.
Oh, BTW, BH my girls got wonderful shidduchim despite these apparent faux pas I was unaware of....

I think there's a major generation gap these days.

I'm in my late 30s, have teen kids, and also used to buy everything at CP. (Haven't found anything cute there in years so I've stopped looking.) But I still buy a lot at H&M, Zara, Target, Old Navy, Gap... my 5-year-old has a hand-me-down Shabbos dress that I bought my 10-year-old at Gymboree and it gets tons of compliments.

I find that most people in my age group and older care less about looking exactly like everyone else. Confidence often comes with maturity. I'm trying to instill that in my kids and so far it seems to be working bH. My most popular child (older elementary) can pull off a colorful Lands End coat when every other kid is wearing a shiny black coat and manage to make her friends want one, too.

I was recently at an indoor play place with some of my kids who were confidently wearing their comfortable clothes: my super-confident preteen in an Old Navy sweatshirt and denim skirt (which did look kind of shlumpy and I tried to talk her out of it, but she prevailed), my early elementary DD in a colorful Gap dress, my baby in (gasp!) Carter's and a (double gasp!) Snap 'n Go. They were happy, I was happy. Just as happy - or maybe happier - than the family in head-to-toe designer clothes with prominent logos and fashionably muted colors.

What got me was the time that my kindergarten DD's little friend kept talking proudly about her Tatty who learns Torah, which is great, but I found it a little jarring to see her in designer clothes every day while my DD - daughter of working father who can BH afford designer clothes easily - wore her Target dresses and light-up Skechers.

I think there's much more pressure among the younger 20-somethings, and that makes me sad (and honestly concerned about my younger kids' future classmates).

We do vacations and drive cars that work for us - not that are the latest "must do" thing. We teach our kids that we do and wear what we like, not what everyone else is doing. And no, we don't look totally weird or out there, we do look very normal, but we don't look exactly like everyone else.

Do we stand out? Yes, sometimes. Do we care? Nope.

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 11:57 am
amother Tealblue wrote:
Voice of dissent here. Speaking as a bubby with married kids in Lakewood, I think if you want to fit in you should make the effort to dress your kids frum style. If you could see me as I type this, you’d laugh, because I’m dressed shlumpy and I’m as OOT as they come and never one to care about clothes for myself or my kids. But, things have changed and not just in Lakewood. I’m a morah for a 2 year old class where I live OOT and every kid shows up wearing leggings and a Jewish style top in muted colors. Used to be toddlers showed up wearing a range of clothing styles, but now with frum brands being online, it’s easy to get the Jewish styles, so everyone does. The toddlers don’t care what their friends are wearing, and the morahs don’t either, but if you want to look like a normal young mother, dress your kids like everyone else your age is dressing their kids. It sends a message about you and what group you identify with. And I’m really sorry to say that! But it’s reality.

You can get Jewish style things at Carters and Target as well as Tottini etc., really don’t need to spend a lot. It’s just about the overall look.

ETA: The plain blue henley you posted would be fine. The graphic tee, no.

I dress my toddler how I want and I am proud of it.. temu, ali express, even hand me downs, it’s no one’s business as long as he is wearing clean clothes that are appropriate for the season.

m987

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 12:03 pm
Didn’t see if anyone mentioned but little planet by carters has adorable things in neutral colors. Not super cheap but there are sales and they have such cute stuff
Also I look for sales on pjs bc they are so nice

wiki

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 12:13 pm
Theory: Jewish communities have always placed something of a premium on conformity and conventions with regard to clothing. These have some basis in halacha and in minhag, and others are just communal norms. The further right-wing one goes, the more norms there are. Then, the Internet Revolution turned this on steroids.

With online shopping, it became possible to shop frum from all over the country/world. With social media, it became possible to make wardrobe curation (especially for one's kids) a hobby that women can pursue every single day.

People upthread mentioned that this is a bigger issue among GenZ moms than Millennials and GenXes, and I think this is why.

Of course there's no mitzvah to dress your little boys in leggings only, but since there are some Jewish fashion conventions that are mitzvah/minhag/etc., the concept of fashion trends has a particularly strong hold on our community.

Even when it conflicts with other core values of ours.
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries