Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Good career with a large family?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Carnation

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 10:33 pm
A highschool teacher is a great paying very flexible job and you get the school schedule and tuition breaks too.

I do the books for a popular ny BY highschool and there are a fair amount of teachers earning over 70k a year part time. This is 4/5 days a week and tops 4 hours a day.

70k is by no means the primary breadwinner but it’s a great second income and a great work life balance.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 10:38 pm
amother Brown wrote:
It means working in a hospital or nursing facility. More case management then therapy

Thanks.

amother
Jasmine

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 11:18 pm
amother Stonewash wrote:
Same
BH

Is this a programmer?

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 11:26 pm
amother Gold wrote:
To the people that are software engineers, how did you transition from low level to higher level?
My dd is into the second year of her job as a developer but can't seem to get out of the entry level. As soon as she gets higher level work it's too much for her and can't do it.
Any ideas?

Thanks!
Hope I didn't hijack the thread...

Most stay in entry level for a few years. And many of the higher level require a certain amount of years of working to get the raise anyway. She probably needs 4-5 years before moving up.

amother
DarkYellow

Post Mon, Apr 15 2024, 11:34 pm
I have a couple of children who studied programming. It's very challenging to get your first job as nobody wants a programmer without experience. One did a course which was supposed to end with a 3 month internship but then they couldn't find placements. One was offered an internship but they wanted a 2 year commitment. It's a great field but not everyone makes it.

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 12:22 am
Same here.

amother Sand wrote:
Funny I am a lawyer and I feel like it was a terrible choice

amother
Lily

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 12:53 am
amother Brass wrote:
Wouldn’t that be nice? I think many mothers would choose SAHM if they had the choice unfortunately this isn’t realistic nowadays

To spell it out, not every career or even most careers are compatible with having a very large family close together.

nicole81

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 1:25 am
amother Wandflower wrote:
You’re not in education anymore?

Hi anonymous another 😂 no, I left the field. I do keep my toes in the water and teach AP Computer Science at a Bais Yaakov once a week. Not for the money lol.

Monyka02

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 2:18 am
amother Lily wrote:
To spell it out, not every career or even most careers are compatible with having a very large family close together.

I am with you on this, but I think in certain scenarios you could make it work, I mean if both parents are involved and you have some children which are older and could take on some of the chores, you might have the posibility to have a good career while maintaining a large-ish family, it all depends on a whole lot of factors

Monyka02

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 2:20 am
amother DarkYellow wrote:
I have a couple of children who studied programming. It's very challenging to get your first job as nobody wants a programmer without experience. One did a course which was supposed to end with a 3 month internship but then they couldn't find placements. One was offered an internship but they wanted a 2 year commitment. It's a great field but not everyone makes it.

Every programmer I know told me that they worked their asses off for their portfolio with projects, basically a programmers CV is their portfolio

amother
Molasses

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 8:02 am
smss wrote:
According to the current Mishpacha diary serial, ER doctor! Flexible hours and working just 30 hours a week brings in a very nice salary.

https://mishpacha.com/on-call-.....atch/

How is someone already with a large family supposed to get through med school with the cost, studying, hours, intern/residency, etc. You need to work up to this position. You're not a well-paid ER doc the day after you graduate med school

bruriyah

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 10:28 am
smss wrote:
According to the current Mishpacha diary serial, ER doctor! Flexible hours and working just 30 hours a week brings in a very nice salary.

https://mishpacha.com/on-call-.....atch/

Medical training (11 years starting at college at the minimum) is difficult to do with any size family.

But once you are done, some fields allow for decent hours with good pay.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 10:35 am
amother Seafoam wrote:
Same here.

But are you with a firm or solo?

Maybe it also depends on your area of law to an extent.

mha3484

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 10:44 am
A girl who was single at the same time as me was in medical school and she wanted to be an ER Dr. She said it was the most family friendly specialty because you work shifts and when you finish your done. You can work as many shifts a week as you want. Its also not as long as a residency as other specialities.

amother
Snowflake

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 10:54 am
amother Bronze wrote:
But are you with a firm or solo?

Maybe it also depends on your area of law to an extent.

Hugely. Different practice areas can be very different in terms of skill sets and demands. Also, who you work for makes a huge difference. Even in the same large firm, one partner may treat his or her associates wonderfully, and another may be a toxic jerk. Same with clients. Some are a pleasure to work with, and some are ridiculous.

bruriyah

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 11:00 am
mha3484 wrote:
A girl who was single at the same time as me was in medical school and she wanted to be an ER Dr. She said it was the most family friendly specialty because you work shifts and when you finish your done. You can work as many shifts a week as you want. Its also not as long as a residency as other specialities.

I wouldn’t say it’s the *most* family friendly, since ED shift work requires switching between night and day often. But it is, among other specialties, very doable with a family, once training is complete.

But medicine in general is demanding and requires a robust support system to help with family. I’m happy to answer specific questions.

The PA and NP route is much less demanding and family-friendly; salaries are good. But it isn’t the same as being a physician, so it depends what you want.

mha3484

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 11:15 am
bruriyah wrote:
I wouldn’t say it’s the *most* family friendly, since ED shift work requires switching between night and day often. But it is, among other specialties, very doable with a family, once training is complete.

But medicine in general is demanding and requires a robust support system to help with family. I’m happy to answer specific questions.

The PA and NP route is much less demanding and family-friendly; salaries are good. But it isn’t the same as being a physician, so it depends what you want.
]

I think she meant because its shift work and well paid that it gives you more flexibility to choose how much you want to work once your training is over. Also your patients either get discharged or admitted to a different department so your not building relationships with them and you can leave your work at work.

Every career has good and bad parts. I just thought she had an interesting perspective.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 11:39 am
amother Carnation wrote:
A highschool teacher is a great paying very flexible job and you get the school schedule and tuition breaks too.

I do the books for a popular ny BY highschool and there are a fair amount of teachers earning over 70k a year part time. This is 4/5 days a week and tops 4 hours a day.

70k is by no means the primary breadwinner but it’s a great second income and a great work life balance.

A lot of parents are both making 70k.

amother
Sage

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 11:45 am
amother Carnation wrote:

Omg my jaw dropped.
I'm a speech therapist, I work 5 hours a day 5 days a week and I don't make even close to 70k a year.
What a waste of years of school and 60k in student loans.

mha3484

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 11:48 am
amother Sage wrote:
Omg my jaw dropped.
I'm a speech therapist, I work 5 hours a day 5 days a week and I don't make even close to 70k a year.
What a waste of years of school and 60k in student loans.

But an experienced SLP can specialize and charge private practice rates that a HS teacher cant. So you didn't waste anything.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics