Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Caramalized Onions in the crock pot

watergirl

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 10:57 am
I googled how to do this but I am seeing a lot of variations. Can anyone please give me their tried and true fail-safe techniques without KLP margarine and without balsamic vinegar (I just don't like the taste of those two things and am getting a lot of these on google)?

I have a pesach instant pot and I know it's possible to do in there also, but google is not happy with me today.

Thanks all!

watergirl

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 12:02 pm
Thanks! I saw the between carpool link before but never looked closely, as the picture is fried onions, not caramelized. Embedded in there is a link to how to caramelize and I never noticed it before. Thanks!

Amarante

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 12:19 pm
I just posted a simple recipe

Use olive oil and some salt. No need for other flavorings although there are a few variants that do use a very small amount of sugar. Caramelized onions without sugar are plenty sweet for me.

FWIW, added to sour cream and it makes the absolute best onion dip

tichellady

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 12:44 pm
I found them subpar in the crockpot. Fine for making soup etc but not great on their own

watergirl

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 1:22 pm
tichellady wrote:
I found them subpar in the crockpot. Fine for making soup etc but not great on their own

Thanks. In what way? Flavor? Texture? I'd want it for recipes that call for it, not to just put on stuff.

mha3484

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 1:29 pm
I learned in the crockpot to put a piece of paper towel or I use a clean dish towel under the lid and it absorbs the moisture that accumulates. This improved the texture of so many different foods I have made since I learned this hack. It probably will help the texture of the onions.

tichellady

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 3:54 pm
watergirl wrote:
Thanks. In what way? Flavor? Texture? I'd want it for recipes that call for it, not to just put on stuff.

Flavor and texture. More like steamed than Carmelized, didn’t get as brown as I would have wanted
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics