Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Child & Baby Products
Are cribs/bassinets with bars unsafe?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 2:13 am
I’m looking into ordering a crib for my baby and it comes with the option to add a mesh on the inside of the crib to protect the baby from the bars. What’s the safety risk of the bars that I should consider getting a mesh? Do I need a mesh?

Rappel

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 3:03 am
I don't know, but I just use a pack n play. Comfy for the kid, and easy to bring with us when we go out

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 5:52 am
It’s my first baby so I kind of want to go all out on the pretty baby equipment. Found a gorgeous crib but I’m really not sure if I should be getting the mesh or not

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 6:06 am
I'm hoping the cribs meet basic safety standards. Kids could theoretically stick their limbs between the bars and get stuck in an uncomfortable position. The bars on cribs should be spaced properly so that it's not dangerous at least.

WhatFor

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 6:20 am
Sometimes those baby bumpers (those materials around the inner bars) and extra materials inside the cribs create their own hazards. I haven't heard that bars are dangerous. I definitely heard about not using baby bumpers, blankets, or any extra materials with a newborn though.

Brit in Israel

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 6:23 am
The mesh isn't necessary but will keep pacifiers from falling out and the off chance of a leg/ arm getting stuck. (Maybe has happened 3 times with my 3 kids).
I would think it's another easy thing for dust to get on unless easily removed and washable which is worse than having a limb stuck.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 7:23 am
Thank you all for the replies! I guess I’ll skip the mesh if it isn’t that necessary

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 7:24 am
A crib should be manufactured with the bars set correctly apart that it should be safe. It shouldn't need an additional mesh. I've never used a mesh and I can't remember any of my kids getting their limbs stuck between the bars. They have dropped their pacifier through the gap, which is annoying, but I wouldn't buy the mesh for that.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 8:11 am
Bars are not a safety issue. I did have one kid who insisted on sleeping with forehead pressed to the bars each night, woke up with bar shaped prints. We got a bumper to soften the sides. It’s really just a matter of preference. Some kids manage to rip mesh, so there are pros and cons to everything.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 8:21 am
Any type of crib bumper is not recommended bc they introduce suffocation and strangulation risk. It's an uncommon issue, but has happened.

It's not an issue with a pack and play bc the mesh is not able to get loose. In a crib with bars, it is possible for baby to get a leg stuck, but that's more annoying than dangerous.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 2:22 pm
It’s not for safety. Without the mesh the pacifiers fall out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics