Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Where to do birkas ilanos in Flatbush?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 3:15 pm
Has anyone done birkas ilanos in Flatbush this year? I'm looking for a fruit tree (even better if there's more than one) in bloom where I can drive up and make the beracha sometime this week. Any leads?

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 7:01 pm
Following

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 7:03 pm
amother OP wrote:
Has anyone done birkas ilanos in Flatbush this year? I'm looking for a fruit tree (even better if there's more than one) in bloom where I can drive up and make the beracha sometime this week. Any leads?

I did it on M and 21

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 7:19 pm
amother Lime wrote:
I did it on M and 21

Do you know for sure M & 21 is an actual fruit tree? Most of the Brooklyn trees that flower and look pretty are ornamental and don’t bear fruit. It has to grow fruit that can be eaten for the bracha.

amother
Latte

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 7:28 pm
https://www.misaskim.org/bracha.php?page=7

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 7:35 pm
amother Khaki wrote:
Do you know for sure M & 21 is an actual fruit tree? Most of the Brooklyn trees that flower and look pretty are ornamental and don’t bear fruit. It has to grow fruit that can be eaten for the bracha.

Yes

amother
IndianRed

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 7:35 pm
Thank you for posting this list

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 9:39 pm
east 9th Street between R&S has several trees and they have the brochos hanging from them

STovah

Post Tue, Apr 16 2024, 9:52 pm
Haven’t been there yet this year but I usually go to the corner of Ave R and East 15, they have a bunch of trees in the yard with signs.

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 7:28 pm
Can anyone confirm that the trees are budding but not yet showing fruit? I think they have to be at a certain stage in order to make a bracha, not nothing but not fruit.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 7:34 pm
amother Ruby wrote:
Can anyone confirm that the trees are budding but not yet showing fruit? I think they have to be at a certain stage in order to make a bracha, not nothing but not fruit.

You need to see flowers to make the bracha. If the flowers are tightly closed buds it’s too early to make the bracha. After the flowers fall off it’s too late. The fruit starts to show as a tiny apple, pear, peach etc after the flowers fall off.
The correct time is Nisan. If you live in a part of the world where trees don’t blossom in Nisan, either in the northern part of the northern hemisphere where they bloom later, or in the southern hemisphere where spring comes in Tishrei, you need to ask your lor. There’s a lot of discussion on the topic among poskim. I’m lucky to live where trees bloom in Nisan.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 10:16 pm
STovah wrote:
Haven’t been there yet this year but I usually go to the corner of Ave R and East 15, they have a bunch of trees in the yard with signs.

Thanks, I went to this one and it was perfect!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries