Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Favorite pesach kitchen hack according to your minhag
1  2  Next

doodlesmom

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 11:50 am
This thread is to post your favorite pesach kitchen hack with the foods you’re allowed to eat….

I’ll start…we only eat boiled meat by the Seder (not roasted, fried or baked). I’ve started making a delicious onion Flanken soup in the crockpot and I serve that by the Seder. The soup is delicious and th3 meat is soft with a delicious flavor! ( before that I added beef to my chicken soup but it got too heavy and wasn’t enjoyed…and the beef wasn’t too tasty).

keym

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 11:56 am
To many this may seem obvious.
I was raised that Seder chicken can be cooked in any liquid or sauce. Yet for some reason, my mother, aunts, grandparents insisted on serving chicken cooked in a pan with spices and the pan half filled with water.
The chicken was never appetizing.

I started making duck sauce chicken. Chicken cooked in a whole jar of duck sauce and it changed my outlook that Seder chicken can be yummy. It doesn't have to be just tasteless chicken.

BH Yom Yom

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 11:57 am
Would love these recipes and cooking times! They both sound amazing!

doodlesmom

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 12:00 pm
BH Yom Yom wrote:
Would love these recipes and cooking times! They both sound amazing!

So I basically sauté 8 lg onions or so in the crockpot with oil for 6-8 hours on low or until very nicely browned.
Add a cup of wine, salt (use more spices if it’s your minhag) bone in Flanken and chicken stock to fill the crockpot and let cook another 6-8 hours until done.

keym

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 12:08 pm
I put 8 leg quarters in a deep 9x13 pan. Skinned. My favorite trick for really juicy Chicken is to put the quarters in meat down, bones up.
Then I pour an entire jar of duck sauce over the chicken and bake covered on 350 for 2-3 hours. But I also end up warming it up at 275 for another 2 hours.
The times are not exact.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 12:21 pm
One of the magazines had a whole chicken w zucchini stuffing. Did anyone save that?

BH Yom Yom

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 12:21 pm
Thank you both!

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 12:27 pm
We started making our own paprika a couple if years ago. Though if I had to peel the peppers I likely wouldn't bother.

Just prepare a couple of trays of thinly sliced red peppers. Put on lowest oven & check every 20-30 minutes. They should be thoroughly dry. If some pieces are thinner & getting brown, best to remove those.

Grind a little at a time in food processor til you have fine powder.

I need to order those little condiment containers so I can give some to my kids. Though probably half of them will just buy. (It's not really my husband's minhag to avoid almost everything processed, just one of those chumros he liked.... )

Edited for typos...

doodlesmom

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 12:34 pm
Which reminds me learning that firm tomatoes like beef are as easy to peel with a regular peeler as an apple really enhanced my yom tov in many ways…
Salad, letcho, ketchup…

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 1:57 pm
Not food, but I have a French door fridge with bottom drawer freezer. I used a mop to clean the inside this year. I’ve realized I’m not a contortionist. Done in under two minutes!

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 3:50 pm
amother Coffee wrote:
We started making our own paprika a couple if years ago. Though if I had to peel the peppers I likely wouldn't bother.

Just prepare a couple of trays of thinly sliced red peppers. Put on lowest oven & check every 20-30 minutes. They should be thoroughly dry. If some pieces are thinner & getting brown, best to remove those.

Grind a little at a time in food processor til you have fine powder.

I need to order those little condiment containers so I can give some to my kids. Though probably half of them will just buy. (It's not really my husband's minhag to avoid almost everything processed, just one of those chumros he liked.... )

Edited for typos...

This is interesting! For how long do you have them in the oven more or less?
DH's niece got married about a year ago and her husband doesn't eat any store bought spices on Pesach except salt and pepper so this is indeed for her Smile

amother
Quince

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 3:56 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
Not food, but I have a French door fridge with bottom drawer freezer. I used a mop to clean the inside this year. I’ve realized I’m not a contortionist. Done in under two minutes!

This is sheer brilliance!!! Tx so much !

BH Yom Yom

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 5:03 pm
mummiedearest wrote:

This is such a great idea!! Thank you!!

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 7:43 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
This is interesting! For how long do you have them in the oven more or less?
DH's niece got married about a year ago and her husband doesn't eat any store bought spices on Pesach except salt and pepper so this is indeed for her Smile

I really have no idea. Until they are done. Definitely allow a nice couple of hours though. Also depends on how thinly you slice them : )

I also puree fresh ginger with a little water and then squeeze through a cheesecloth. I was doing this for Covid but l'ma'aseh it's great in foods and drinks, and very healthy.

Buy greenhouse dill and parsley. Process the parsley first (bec you don't mind a little in your dill) and then freeze. I thought I would do in ice cube trays. Turns out you can just put a container in the freezer and scrape out with a spoon whenever you need. Then process the dill. I do it during the year too in order to avoid additives in the processed kind.

amother
Vanilla

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 8:19 pm
re the person who mentioned paprika. do onions also. and then grind into onion powder. if you own one, do in dehydrator is easier .

Oysters

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 8:49 pm
mummiedearest wrote:

Brilliant! I am definitely trying this with a swiffer. Thanks!

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Apr 19 2024, 3:03 am
Re paprika. It's 5 hrs & they're almost done. I switch between 170 & 22t depending if I think I may go to sleep. OTqOH wd be ridiculous to tie up the oven all day!

I think I shd have done 1/2 hr on 350 to start...

Maybe next yr I'll get a dehydrator!

chili-n-cholent

Post Fri, Apr 19 2024, 9:14 am
amother Coffee wrote:
Re paprika. It's 5 hrs & they're almost done. I switch between 170 & 22t depending if I think I may go to sleep. OTqOH wd be ridiculous to tie up the oven all day!

I think I shd have done 1/2 hr on 350 to start...

Maybe next yr I'll get a dehydrator!

a dehydrator is so cheap and we do tons with it for pesach. It's really worth it IMHO if you don't use a lot of products
spices like paprika, onion powder etc
jerky
apple chips
potato flour

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Apr 19 2024, 12:37 pm
amother Vanilla wrote:
re the person who mentioned paprika. do onions also. and then grind into onion powder. if you own one, do in dehydrator is easier .
my son did this w onions and w garlic (yes, we use garlic) but I cant spare my oven for so many hours and I'm afraid to leave overnight. Though it seems I really could have ...

amother
NeonGreen

Post Fri, Apr 19 2024, 12:49 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
This thread is to post your favorite pesach kitchen hack with the foods you’re allowed to eat….

I’ll start…we only eat boiled meat by the Seder (not roasted, fried or baked). I’ve started making a delicious onion Flanken soup in the crockpot and I serve that by the Seder. The soup is delicious and th3 meat is soft with a delicious flavor! ( before that I added beef to my chicken soup but it got too heavy and wasn’t enjoyed…and the beef wasn’t too tasty).

Roasting I understand, as thats the halacha, but why no frying or baking?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics