Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Time sensitive!! Can I cook gefilte fish right after chicken
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 7:11 pm
Chicken came out not to long ago. Can I make fish now?

amother
Wandflower

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 7:12 pm
Sure

chanee

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 7:30 pm
Why not. I understand eating them together is an issue but cooking in separate pots or same pot but cleaned between is no issue. Puleese

amother
Fern

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 7:38 pm
chanee wrote:
Why not. I understand eating them together is an issue but cooking in separate pots or same pot but cleaned between is no issue. Puleese

Better not to.

amother
RosePink

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 7:38 pm
chanee wrote:

Cooking fish and meat in the same pot is an issue, not a Puleese. Most people use a separate pot to cook fish. Especially if you just finished using the pot for chicken, best ask your lor if you’re allowed to cook fish in it now.

amother
Fern

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 7:39 pm
amother RosePink wrote:
Cooking fish and meat in the same pot is an issue, not a Puleese. Most people use a separate pot to cook fish. Especially if you just finished using the pot for chicken, best ask your lor if you’re allowed to cook fish in it now.

Eggzacly (exactly) same for eggs you need a separate pot.

amother
White

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 7:40 pm
amother Fern wrote:
Better not to.

They can even be baked in the same oven at the same time as long as one is covered well

amother
Fern

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 7:40 pm
amother White wrote:
They can even be baked in the same oven at the same time as long as one is covered well

From what I’ve heard they both need to have a double cover if cooking at the same time.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 7:46 pm
There are different opinions on all this. AYLOR what you hold because you will get contradictory answers here.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 7:55 pm
amother White wrote:

This is what I do, but some are stricter.

I will also use the same pot for chicken and fish (and even eggs) if it was washed in between. (On Pesach I have a separate egg pot in case the shells are coated with something.)

chanee

My rav told me it's about eating together. Otherwise even same utensils pots are fine. Even if they are not 100% cleaned is ok. But aylor. On the other hand, some people don't separate between fish and cheese and we do indefinitely which cheese or fish.

amother
Sienna

amother Fern wrote:
Eggzacly (exactly) same for eggs you need a separate pot.

You do know that you can put eggs in your meatloaf and in your gefilta fish.

The idea behind an egg pot is out of concern that you will find a blood egg in your hardboiled eggs and either not know which pot you used or have cooked other things between cooking the egg and discovering the spot.

amother
Crocus

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 7:57 pm
Cooking fish and meat together us a very serious matter. I understand it's not together but please ask your LOR. We have a special fish pot and never put it in meat pot

amother
Crocus

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 7:59 pm
amother Sienna wrote:
You do know that you can put eggs in your meatloaf and in your gefilta fish.

The idea behind an egg pot is out of concern that you will find a blood egg in your hardboiled eggs and either not know which pot you used or have cooked other things between cooking the egg and discovering the spot.

You do not halachikally need a separate egg pot. Just cook an odd number. And if cooked in milk or meat pot keep in mind so know what to eat with . Easiest use parve pot

amother
Stone

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 8:07 pm
amother Crocus wrote:
Cooking fish and meat together us a very serious matter. I understand it's not together but please ask your LOR. We have a special fish pot and never put it in meat pot

It is not a very serious matter. There are many opinions that say there is no sakana anymore. Still, it is a practice that we maintain. The halacha is that if a cooking utensil is clean, is can be used for either fish or meat. There is no waiting period. And as long as ONE is covered while cooking, they can be cooked together. This is the basic halacha. Anything else is chumra. Let's not confuse the two.

amother
Crocus

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 8:19 pm
amother Stone wrote:
It is not a very serious matter. There are many opinions that say there is no sakana anymore. Still, it is a practice that we maintain. The halacha is that if a cooking utensil is clean, is can be used for either fish or meat. There is no waiting period. And as long as ONE is covered while cooking, they can be cooked together. This is the basic halacha. Anything else is chumra. Let's not confuse the two.

Im Not confused. Let's agree to disagree

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 8:36 pm
Thanks. Ended up getting busy and not cooking it tonight in the end

patzer

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 8:41 pm
amother Stone wrote:

Hmm. Confused I was told that according to basic Halacha, there's no problem with using the same pots for both fish and meat (not together, obviously); however, if your parents were careful about not using the same pot, you should be careful as well.

chanee

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 1:52 am
The fish pot thing is for not using it for other foods. Not for eggs too. Fish leaves a smell. They are fish after all. it's like the small fish pot theory.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 1:58 am
BTW, you can boil eggs in a dairy pot then eat them with meat. They would still be 100% pareve.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen