Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Converts and minhagim

michimochi

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 1:47 pm
I was told by my converting Rabbi that a ger accepts the minhag of his/her converting Rabbi. Later, I heard from other sources that this is not halacha.

Is there a source that says a ger must adopt their converting Rabbi's customs?

(Please leave aside R Ovadiah Yosef's ruling re: geirut in the land of Israel; I'm talking about geirut outside of Israel.)

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 1:59 pm
michimochi wrote:
I was told by my converting Rabbi that a ger accepts the minhag of his/her converting Rabbi. Later, I heard from other sources that this is not halacha.

(Please leave aside R Ovadiah Yosef's ruling re: geirut in the land of Israel; I'm talking about geirut outside of Israel.)

Definitely not.

Highstrung

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 2:08 pm
michimochi wrote:

I’ve never heard of this. Both my father and father in law converted and had nothing to do with their converting rabbis . They both adopted SOME of the minhagim of the families they lived at for a while. But that wasn’t required either.

lovingmommy3417

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 2:51 pm
Definitely not. Im a geyores and have never heard this.

sweetpotato

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 3:13 pm
I’m a convert and when I went to the beis din (many many years ago) the av beis din specifically stated that I was not obligating myself to take on the minhagim of the members of the beis din.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Apr 17 2024, 4:01 pm
sweetpotato wrote:
I’m a convert and when I went to the beis din (many many years ago) the av beis din specifically stated that I was not obligating myself to take on the minhagim of the members of the beis din.

The fact that he said this makes me wonder if there is some inyan to take on the minhagim of the Beit Din. Its probably a grey area, but it sounds like he wanted to clarify that you werent obligated. He wouldn't have said that if there was nothing behind it.

OP, maybe you can check with the Beit Din (not just the Rabbi) involved. The fa t that you're asking at this time of year makes me wonder if you're talking about some Pesach chumras. At the worst, it would be a case of doing hatarat nedarim. It shouldn't be difficult.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Apr 18 2024, 11:22 am
Zera Israel are sometimes encouraged to take their family's especially now BH with internet you can find

If they don't have roots they can take the local community's, if there's a consensus, or the majority's, or their rav's, or I suppose any they like though maybe it's difficult being the ONLY ONE
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics