Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
How long self clean oven? should not work for 24 hours b4?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 03 2022, 4:34 pm
How long do you self clean your oven for Pesach? Do you have to wait 24 hours after using it before you run the self clean cycle?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 03 2022, 4:38 pm
If you have a non self clean oven and are cleaning it yourself, then you need to clean first, then can't use it for 24 hours before kashering on broil/libbun kal.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Apr 03 2022, 6:22 pm
Self clean should tell you how long it is.
And yes, it needs to be unused 24 hours before kashering, which is what self cleaning is

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 03 2022, 7:43 pm
ra_mom wrote:
If you have a non self clean oven and are cleaning it yourself, then you need to clean first, then can't use it for 24 hours before kashering on broil/libbun kal.
I'm using a self clean oven, do I still have to wait 24 hours?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 03 2022, 7:44 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Self clean should tell you how long it is.
And yes, it needs to be unused 24 hours before kashering, which is what self cleaning is
The oven lets you choose how long. What does the second line you wrote mean?

teachkids

Post Sun, Apr 03 2022, 8:04 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Yes. You can not kasher in any form, even blow torch, if it hasn't been cold for 24 hours.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 03 2022, 8:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

We wait 24 hours, but I don't know if it's halacha as I haven't seen it written.
https://oukosher.org/passover/.....over/

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 03 2022, 8:37 pm
ra_mom wrote:
We wait 24 hours, but I don't know if it's halacha as I haven't seen it written.
https://oukosher.org/passover/.....over/
thanks, so it looks like if you don't do the cleaning cycle, then you can't use the oven for 24 hours, but if you do the self cleaning cycle, then you don't have to wait 24 hours?

RBPetra

Post Sun, Apr 03 2022, 8:44 pm
I just checked The Kosher Kitchen by Rav Forst (published by Artscroll), It does not mention needing to wait 24 hours to kasher for Pesach. It does mention it for kashering from meat to dairy or vice versa

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 03 2022, 8:51 pm
RBPetra wrote:
I just checked The Kosher Kitchen by Rav Forst (published by Artscroll), It does not mention needing to wait 24 hours to kasher for Pesach. It does mention it for kashering from meat to dairy or vice versa
thank you

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Apr 04 2022, 8:09 pm
a self cleaning oven does not have to sit idle for 24 hours first. it's a different kind of kashring than a sink or dishwasher.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Apr 04 2022, 9:26 pm
I asked a Rav and he said you have to wait a total of 24 hours between baking chometz and baking Pesach food. He gave this example: if I used my oven 10 hours ago for baking chometz and now I put on the self clean program in my oven, then in 14 hours, I can bake Pesach food. I can't bake for Pesach right after the self cleaning is over because 24 hours have not elapsed between chometz and Pesach.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 10:45 pm
My oven’s self clean option ranges from 2 hours to 4.5 hours. How long should I do it for??

tichellady

Post Sun, Apr 21 2024, 10:55 pm
You do not need to wait before kashering an oven- only things that you pour boiling water over, like a sink or dishwasher
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics