Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
What magazines or newspapers do you subscribe to?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 9:27 am
Just curious what other imamothers subscribe to.

Ours are:
Atlantic magazine
Our city's daily newspaper
Tradition
Hakirah

amother
Begonia

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 9:29 am
amother OP wrote:
Just curious what other imamothers subscribe to.

Ours are:
Atlantic magazine
Our city's daily newspaper
Tradition magazine
Hakirah

Never heard of any of these. What is their content? Am always looking for interesting stuff to read...

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 9:30 am
amother Begonia wrote:
Never heard of any of these.

OK, so what do you like and subscribe to?

amother
Bluebell

Not subscribed to anything but buy the Ami every week. Is that what you meant?

amother
Begonia

amother OP wrote:
OK, so what do you like and subscribe to?

Mishpacha, Ami...

theotherone1

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 9:35 am
Mishpacha, Circle

ray family

Nothing

amother
OP

amother Begonia wrote:
Never heard of any of these. What is their content? Am always looking for more stuff to read...

Atlantic is contemporary events, essays, and some arts/literature reviews. They do interesting longer articles on random things that I enjoy. www.theatlantic.com.

Tradition and Hakirah are Jewish, aimed at MO, maybe some would say RWMO. They write on halachic topics, contemporary issues in the frum community, do book reviews, sometimes obituaries, profiles.
https://traditiononline.org/
https://hakirah.org/

Local city paper would be similar to, say Philadelphia Inquirer or Boston Globe, except that I am in a different city and don't want to say which.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 9:38 am
amother Bluebell wrote:
Not subscribed to anything but buy the Ami every week. Is that what you meant?

Sure, that works too. That's effectively a subscription, just maybe slightly more expensive.

amother
Lightpink

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 9:40 am
Only subscribed to The Circle and Forbes. I buy the Ami, Mishpacha, Bina only for Yom Tov.

amother
Begonia

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 9:43 am
amother OP wrote:
Atlantic is contemporary events, essays, and some arts/literature reviews. They do interesting longer articles on random things that I enjoy. www.theatlantic.com.

Tradition and Hakirah are Jewish, aimed at MO, maybe some would say RWMO. They write on halachic topics, contemporary issues in the frum community, do book reviews, sometimes obituaries, profiles.
https://traditiononline.org/
https://hakirah.org/

Local city paper would be similar to, say Philadelphia Inquirer or Boston Globe, except that I am in a different city and don't want to say which.

Thanks! Tradition looks like something I'd enjoy. I live in Europe though, it's not sold on news-stands here, wonder if I could get it on subscription....

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 9:52 am
We get the weekend addition to the jerusalrm.post.
And when Mizrachi magazine comes out every few weeks, we take one from our shul.

amother
Valerian

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 9:59 am
theotherone1 wrote:
Mishpacha, Circle

Same.

mha3484

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 10:12 am
Mishpacha, hamodia and circle.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 10:15 am
History-hand me down magazines from friends when they are done reading them

patzer

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 10:22 am
I have a subscription to Yated and Mishpacha. I often borrow Ami or Bina from the Finklestein Library.🗞

amother
Brass

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 10:24 am
I’ve been tempted to sign up for the Atlantic but never did. They have really fascinating in depth articles that I’ve enjoyed reading over the years. You can read a few before the paywall kicks in.

I’m subscribed to the Free Press’s email newsletters and I like reading their articles that aren’t behind a paywall. I plan to sign up for their subscription someday when I have extra funds. Love Bari Weiss!

amother
Zinnia

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 10:33 am
Leatherneck magazine. And we get ami every week

cupcake123

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 11:08 am
Mishpacha

amother
Lightcyan

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 11:20 am
amother Brass wrote:
I’ve been tempted to sign up for the Atlantic but never did. They have really fascinating in depth articles that I’ve enjoyed reading over the years. You can read a few before the paywall kicks in.

I’m subscribed to the Free Press’s email newsletters and I like reading their articles that aren’t behind a paywall. I plan to sign up for their subscription someday when I have extra funds. Love Bari Weiss!

I've been subscribed to The Free Press since it started. I find it well worth the cost. Between the TGIF newsletter, the podcasts, and other interesting articles and interviews, you reallt get a lot of value for the price. It could be they have raised the cost, but from what I recall (because I let it automatically renew), it's around $50 per year, which is quite a bit cheaper than most subscriptions. Some of the best journalists out there submit pieces to get published there in addition to the regular columnists. I love the pieces by Douglas Murray and Matti Friedman, just to name two. (Suzy Weiss, Bari's sister also has great articles, I wish she'd write more. She is very talented, she previously wrote for the New York Post where she published one of the most hilarious articles ever skewering woke progressives. I've read it a few times and it always makes me laugh.)

I also buy Mishpacha each week.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics