Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
What age do you start wearing a yarmulka.
1  2  Next

What age do you put a yarmulke on your DS.
From 4-6 months b4 upshernish.  
 3%  [ 4 ]
From day of upshernish.  
 93%  [ 125 ]
Before 2.  
 3%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 133

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 12:33 pm
Not sure if this is the write forum. But I’m asking because I’m curious.
What age did your son start wearing a yarmulka?
Please also include if your Chassidish,litvish,sfardi,MO or any other group I may have forgotten. (Lubavitch is in the chassidish category)

amother
Cerulean

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 12:44 pm
Chasidish. From the day of upsherin.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 12:45 pm
amother Cerulean wrote:
Chasidish. From the day of upsherin.

This. Satmar.
My son turned 3 before lag beomer. He wore a kappal from his birthday atop his mop of blonde curls. Then he had his upshern on lag beomer

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 12:48 pm
Ty! Was wondering.
I’m Chabad and in Chabad you start where you want but usually before the upsherin.
I haven’t seen anyone that’s not Chabad wear a yarmulka before the upshernish. So I was so curious what everyone does.

Tzitzis is on the day of the upsherin. Some put on a couple of days before.

amother
Almond

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 12:50 pm
DL when they start Gan Iriya (3 yo preschool). Could be 3.5 if they were born in January, or 2.5 if they were born in Dec.

amother
Strawberry

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 12:57 pm
We don't do upsherin. Once my son gets a haircut we introduce the kippa. Some of my boys were wearing it full time before age 2, others closer to 2.5. The biggest deterrent was once they went to gan and their peers didn't wear kippas, they tended to regress in their kippa wearing, specifically in gan.

ETA, because my boys get real boys haircuts at age 1.5-2, people think they are 3 already and wouldn't think that they are under 3s wearing a kippa.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 1:07 pm
amother OP wrote:
Ty! Was wondering.
I’m Chabad and in Chabad you start where you want but usually before the upsherin.
I haven’t seen anyone that’s not Chabad wear a yarmulka before the upshernish. So I was so curious what everyone does.

Tzitzis is on the day of the upsherin. Some put on a couple of days before.

I’m Chabad and disagree with the bolded. It’s possible some kids start wearing a yarmulka before 3, especially if they’re in a class with older boys (peer pressure starts young :-)) but I don’t think that’s common. Practically, it’s also hard to keep it on with long hair.

I started my boys at their upsherin.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 1:11 pm
amother Burlywood wrote:
I’m Chabad and disagree with the bolded. It’s possible some kids start wearing a yarmulka before 3, especially if they’re in a class with older boys (peer pressure starts young :-)) but I don’t think that’s common. Practically, it’s also hard to keep it on with long hair.

I started my boys at their upsherin.

True. The ikippah had a hidden place for the clips.
I also know a specific family in Chabad that puts on a yarmulka from birth.
You probably know who I’m talking about since I didn’t see any other fam. Besides this specific fam.

coffee icecream

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 1:37 pm
What yarmulke is worn from birth?
Definitely before 3.
I would say at some point when the child is two but can vary, getting the child used to wearing a yarmulke before he officially starts wearing one.
Seen many boys with long hair and yarmulke, yes not all stay on and some do put clips but at least they are introduced to the idea earlier on.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 1:48 pm
coffee icecream wrote:
What yarmulke is worn from birth?
Definitely before 3.
I would say at some point when the child is two but can vary, getting the child used to wearing a yarmulke before he officially starts wearing one.
Seen many boys with long hair and yarmulke, yes not all stay on and some do put clips but at least they are introduced to the idea earlier on.

That family. A tiny tiny yarmulka with a stray around the chin. Once the boy gets hair it’s clipped.

amother
Tealblue

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 2:03 pm
amother OP wrote:
You probably know who I’m talking about since I didn’t see any other fam. Besides this specific fam.

I know several families, definitely more than one, who start from newborn (any sot of hat, not specifically yarmulke) its connected with Yiras Shamayim. I think it's more common among certain Israeli chabad.

We start from 3, or maybe a few weeks before.

amother
Caramel

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 2:56 pm
I'm Chabad too and I don't think those who start A bit before the Upsherenish do it because of peer pressure, it seems to be a way to get the kid used to it
And sometimes the kid is so excited and can't wait to start!

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 3:11 pm
amother Caramel wrote:
I'm Chabad too and I don't think those who start A bit before the Upsherenish do it because of peer pressure, it seems to be a way to get the kid used to it
And sometimes the kid is so excited and can't wait to start!

I didn’t mean real peer pressure, but ime they tend to be more excited for the yarmulke when the other kids in the class are already wearing it.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 4:27 pm
amother OP wrote:

I have no idea who you’re talking about…

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 4:48 pm
amother Burlywood wrote:
I have no idea who you’re talking about…

They live in the Sh’chuna.

amother
Caramel

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 7:03 pm
amother OP wrote:
They live in the Sh’chuna.

There's more than one family though

amother
Blushpink

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 7:14 pm
My dh wanted to covered my ds's head from birth. My ds didn't wanted, so we started at 2 introducing the idea of dressing the same as dad. The same with tzitzit. We basically follow the idea that we introduce mitzvot and symbols (that would help him to keep mitzvot) when he can gets what they mean at least in a very simple way.
We live in Germany, so on the street we use berets and at home, shul, cheder Kippah.

amother
Ballota

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 7:27 pm
Yeshivish, age3.

most yeshivish ppl do at 3.

One very very frum yeshivish person I know did much earlier. I assume from birth, A yiras shamayim thing.

amother
Mulberry

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 8:09 pm
JPF of Lithuanian descent. We don't let our little boys grow their hair long enough to look like girls. My boys started wearing yarmulkas at the same time they started wearing tzitzis, namely once they were reliably toilet-trained, which was right before they started preschool, at about age 3-1/2 or 4. They suffer from no lack of yiras shomayim if I may say so, and whoever's not in kollel is kovea ittim.

I know people have this idea of planting ideas in a kid's head from birth or shortly thereafter, but I never found that necessary. I didn't bring my kids to shul till they were mature enough to sit through the davening, unlike friends of mine who shlepped the kids to shul from infancy, yet by the time my kids were six or seven people were kvelling about how nicely they davened. As adults they are active in their respective shuls and frequently asked to daven by the amud. I don't believe it's because of their voices, which, while pleasant enough to a loving mother's ears, are, realistically, nothing out of the ordinary.

amother
Daisy

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 8:13 pm
Chadidish. Day of upsherin. Unless couldn't cut on day of birthday then started on bday (if is shabbos Yom tov sefira or 3 weeks).
Lumping all chadiem together doesn't make sense . There are very different minhagem (skvere/lubavitch)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics