Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
What did I do wrong with my brisket?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 9:45 pm
I made 1st cut brisket - cooked according to recipe (actually 15 min shorter but same temperature) - came out tough.
I made 2nd cut brisket - cooked for 2 hours instead of the 3-4 hours the recipe called for, and it came out absolutely inedible.
What am I doing wrong?????

hodeez

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 9:59 pm
You have to cook it longer, not shorter. I always go longer on the cook times and meat comes out incredibly juicy. Depending on the cut, I'll cook it on 375 or higher for an hour and then 325 or even 250 for a few hours

kenz

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 10:04 pm
Why would you cut the cooking time in half and expect it to work? Low and slow is the best method for brisket. Does your oven have a slow cook setting? Put it on that for 5-7 hours depending on the size of the roast.

justforfun87

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 10:05 pm
You answered your own question. There is barely a time where cooking meat for a short amount of time is a good idea.

justforfun87

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 10:06 pm
Second cur brisket can go for like 4-8 hours

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 10:06 pm
since the first one came out tough with the correct cooking time - I tried less cooking time - why would I keep cooking something that is already cooked? And how can something tough and impossible to chew become softer with more cooking time?
just to clarify - it was NOT raw. It looked completely brown, with tough fibers...

amother
Latte

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 10:09 pm
amother OP wrote:
since the first one came out tough with the correct cooking time - I tried less cooking time - why would I keep cooking something that is already cooked? And how can something tough and impossible to chew become softer with more cooking time?
just to clarify - it was NOT raw. It looked completely brown, with tough fibers...

How did you cook it? I boil mine in water (either in a pot on a low flame after it comes to a boil) or in a crockpot overnight and it comes out delish.

hodeez

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 10:16 pm
The longer cook breaks down those fibers and gives you tender meat. It's not about cooking the meat, that can be done in less than a half hour. It's about tenderizing the meat and making it juicy

amother
Rainbow

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 10:18 pm
amother OP wrote:

are you a novice cook? Because it’s pretty fundamental that cooking meat; or dark chicken or dark turkey) for longer it becomes softer. The longer you cook it the softer it will get

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 10:18 pm
hodeez wrote:
The longer cook breaks down those fibers and gives you tender meat. It's not about cooking the meat, that can be done in less than a half hour. It's about tenderizing the meat and making it juicy

ok that makes sense - How in the world do I know if it's done then, if a fork goes in?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 10:19 pm
amother Rainbow wrote:
are you a novice cook? Because it’s pretty fundamental that cooking meat; or dark chicken or dark turkey) for longer it becomes softer. The longer you cook it the softer it will get

What is the purpose of your question?

esther11

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 10:20 pm
amother OP wrote:

Low and slow cooking breaks down the fat and connective tissue more so it makes it softer while keeping the juices.. A first cut brisket won’t be as moist as a second cut in general. Also, you sometimes need to cook longer than the recipe states. I always try sticking a fork in the meat and pulling it, if it comes apart easily than I assume it’s done. If not I stick it back in for an hour.

ETA if you still have the meats, you can cook for longer now in liquid and see if they are salvageable! I definitely find they get softer even after cutting.

Last edited by esther11 on Sat, Apr 27 2024, 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

hodeez

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 10:20 pm
You cook it for as long as you can, depending on the cut. It's likely ready and tender after four hours.

tulip3

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 10:22 pm
The easiest is to put the meat overnight on 225 so it cooks for 12 hours in the liquid. It's buttery soft every time!

amother
Outerspace

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 10:27 pm
First cut is usually leaner and tougher than second cut, which has more fat throughout. The first cut brisket may have been cooked correctly but just the nature of the meat was tough especially imported meat ( cheaper line). Second cut brisket usually does well with low and slow cooking so cutting the cooking time was the problem there ..

groovy1224

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 10:27 pm
amother OP wrote:
ok that makes sense - How in the world do I know if it's done then, if a fork goes in?

For me I know it's done when the fork goes in with no resistance, it almost sinks in.

Brisket isn't like a steak where the longer you cook it the more well done/tougher it gets. With a brisket, the longer it cooks the softer it gets.

fmt4

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 10:29 pm
amother OP wrote:

Have you never cooked meat before? Longer cooking time = softer meat.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 10:32 pm
fmt4 wrote:
Have you never cooked meat before? Longer cooking time = softer meat.

If I already sliced the meat and froze it, can I still save this meat?

ra_mom

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 10:35 pm
amother OP wrote:
If I already sliced the meat and froze it, can I still save this meat?

Yes you can still soften it. It's actually easier/goes quicker once it's sliced.
Do you still have the liquid the meat cooked in/released while cooking?

amother
Pear

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 10:37 pm
Can we just all assume that anyone who asks a cooking question is new to cooking in general?? I keep seeing these snarky answers in almost all cooking advice threads on imamother. Anytime someone asks how long to cook something or anything food related here on this site, the undertones of the responses are mostly "where did you grow up, under a rock?!" Not everyone is born a perfect cook from day 1 of the chatuna.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics