Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
What did I do wrong with my brisket?
Previous  1  2

little neshamala

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 7:39 pm
OP the answer is that brisket specifically, is a cut that has lots of collagen. I researched this once to understand from a scientific perspective, after I destroyed a brisket by cooking it according to a certain amount of minutes per pound (that had always worked before) but this time I had a very very smal brisket that only required 2 hours of cooking, per this method. It was inedible. So tough, it was harder than raw meat, absolutely impossible to cut, like leather.
So I had to understand, and apparently its quite easy.
The collagen etc that is so present in brisket, cooks by first getting tougher and tougher, amd them getting softer and softer.
So you begin with raw brisket, it will get harder, harder, harder, than soften a bit, a bit more, and end up soft like butter. So if you only cook it for 2 hours, then it will have hardened and hardened and never hit the softening stage.
That is why my recipe notes now state, that if im cooking a very small brisket, I should STILL cook it for at least 3.5 hours. No matter how small my brisket, I cook at least 3.5-4 hours, and the larger ones can go even longer.

Other cuts of meat do not need this method of long cooking because they donnot have all the collagen to break down

amother
Anemone

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 7:43 pm
I would still put it back in the oven in liquid & fully covered (add chicken soup if you discarded the cooking liquid) & bake on a low number (325? 300? Maybe others here can help) for at least several hours- maybe even overnight.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 7:48 pm
Thanks so much, I still have the cooking liquid, or at least some of it. Any instructions for cooking this sliced frozen meat would be appreciated.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 7:50 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks so much, I still have the cooking liquid, or at least some of it. Any instructions for cooking this sliced frozen meat would be appreciated.

Just put it up to warm 2 hours before the meal. It will be soft by that time. I've done this in a double boiler on the plata or in a 200 oven.

amother
Lotus

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 8:45 pm
tulip3 wrote:
The easiest is to put the meat overnight on 225 so it cooks for 12 hours in the liquid. It's buttery soft every time!

Do you cover that?

amother
Papayawhip

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 10:34 pm
amother Lotus wrote:
Do you cover that?

Yes, very well. Cover with parchment paper & then with foil.

amother
Bone

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 10:48 pm
I thought the longer you cook meat, the more it shrinks?!?!?!?

familyfirst

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 11:04 pm
Op-
Your meat can still taste delicious!
The cutting actually will help it marinate in its own juices- many recipes call for it to be sliced midway and then put back in its juices so you’re right on schedule!

Out the meat and juices back in the oven, fevered for a few hours on 250 degrees. Similar thing happened with us- I ended up putting it in the crockpot on low for a few hours and it was delicious!!

Use lots of onions

amother
Yellow

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 11:14 pm
amother Bone wrote:
I thought the longer you cook meat, the more it shrinks?!?!?!?

Meat does shrink a lot when it cooks. To a point though. The difference between cooking 3.5 hours and cooking 5 hours is not going to affect the size of the piece. Either way, meat needs to be cooked long so you need to make sure the cut is going to be big enough even after shrinking.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 1:34 am
amother OP wrote:
I made 1st cut brisket - cooked according to recipe (actually 15 min shorter but same temperature) - came out tough.
I made 2nd cut brisket - cooked for 2 hours instead of the 3-4 hours the recipe called for, and it came out absolutely inedible.
What am I doing wrong?????

I cooked my 2nd cut brisket on 300 for 5.5-6 hrs with lots of sautéed onions and some chicken soup and it came out buttery soft.
Ftr I’m terrible in the kitchen and my meats never come out good so I was pleasantly surprised at the results.

Rappel

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 2:05 am
Reheat it in liquid, low and slow, and covered so well that it's hermetically sealed. Covering is the trick I didn't know for years

amother
Lotus

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 6:15 am
amother Papayawhip wrote:
Yes, very well. Cover with parchment paper & then with foil.

Can I do with a standing rib? Overnight on 225 covered?

hodeez

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 6:43 am
amother Lotus wrote:
Can I do with a standing rib? Overnight on 225 covered?

I wouldn't do that with such an expensive cut. Standing rib roast you can roast on 450 until it's brown and then 350 for a couple hours depending on size. Low and slow is excellent for less expensive cuts

amother
Vanilla

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 7:08 am
Brisket needs to cook for at least 3-4 hours to get soft but rib roasts need a different method. If cooked too long might get dried out. Look up a recipe specifically for rib roasts. It’s more like a steak meat.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics