Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Best way to pack things
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 30 2024, 10:35 pm
1. Spices
2. Nuts
3. Open oils - not sure if I can put away olive oil, avocado oil

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Apr 30 2024, 10:43 pm
I would not leave the open bottles of oil for next year.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Tue, Apr 30 2024, 11:00 pm
I put spices in ziplock. I would think nuts need to be in freezer. Not sure about oils. I think I put olive oil away one year. Now I just leave out any oils for year round , (unless sealed).

Last edited by BrachaVHatzlocha on Tue, Apr 30 2024, 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

zaq

Post Tue, Apr 30 2024, 11:05 pm
Main thing is to exclude air and keep cool. Pack nuts in ziplock bags, squeezing out air, then store in freezer. Decant spices and oils into smallest possible containers so you fill them to the top. I wouldn't keep oils for next year. Keep oils and spices accessible so you can transfer to your chometz cabinet as you use up your chometz stock. Spices kept cool and unopened will be usable next year but will have lost power. Certainly don't store for two years.

amother
Birch

Post Tue, Apr 30 2024, 11:07 pm
amother Dodgerblue wrote:
I would not leave the open bottles of oil for next year.

I second this. The mess it can make is not worth it.

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Apr 30 2024, 11:51 pm
Can I add to this - what about sealed bags of potato starch, open confectioners sugar, open cocoa, stated oil spray, sealed spices? Thanks!

dankbar

Post Tue, Apr 30 2024, 11:59 pm
I put away from last year to this year, closed can potato starch, closed bag sugar, closed container of hisachdus thick salt.

All were good.

Last edited by dankbar on Wed, May 01 2024, 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total

hodeez

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 12:01 am
Open stuff use throughout the year, don't save it

dankbar

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 12:02 am
Nuts can get wormy. I keep ground nuts in freezer during year, whatever is left over from pesach.

Open black pepper, black pepper balls I use for year, because sharpness would go out.

Open cinnamon I did use from last year, it was fine.

Elfrida

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 12:03 am
If it's a sealed bag, I check the expiry date. If it will still be good next Pesach I put it away as is. It's sealed, so no need for any further packaging. To save space it will normally go inside a pot or something.

If it's open, or if the expiry date is less than ten or eleven months I leave it out and use it up in the course of the year.

I save open toothpaste and dish soap for up to about five years. The dish soap goes in a plastic bag, just in case of spills, and is stored in the pesach sink.

seeker

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 12:44 am
Oils and nuts can spoil, just leave them out and use with chometz. Except maybe if you have sealed glass bottles. Would not keep plastic bottles of oil for a year.

Spices if unsealed I put in two layers of Ziploc bag, but only every other year. Meaning this year I had my spices from last year and they were fine, but now I'm keeping them out to use during the year and will start fresh next year.

Confectioners sugar, cocoa, etc I would keep - if open, transfer or put inside a Tupperware or Rubbermaid type container that seals well. I suppose a Ziploc would work too but possibly not as well.

amother
Purple

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 12:57 am
I keep spices and ground nuts in a ziplock bag in the freezer
I keep vanilla ,baking powder, baking soda, cocoa, potato starch in a box in the basement with my pesach boxes

lovecouches

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 9:43 am
Does anyone know about matza meal that I made from leftover matza? Is there a way to save it? I don't use it enough during the year.

dankbar

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 9:45 am
Matzas also can become wormy

Comptroller

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 9:51 am
amother OP wrote:
1. Spices
2. Nuts
3. Open oils - not sure if I can put away olive oil, avocado oil

Nuts are a risk - moths love them, so I keep them always in the fridge and would advise against keeping them until next pessach. They also spoil.

Open oils - use them up, they also spoil over a year.

Spices: close them well, clean the container well, pack them in plastic bags.
I also keep them, but they might loose their taste. Also: some spices could be contaminated with insects... I keep salt, pepper, cinnamon, paprika and had no problems with them. Paprika and cinnamon tend to lose fragrance...

lovecouches

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 9:51 am
dankbar wrote:
Matzas also can become wormy

Would it keep in the freezer to keep it from getting wormy?

Comptroller

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 9:53 am
lovecouches wrote:
Does anyone know about matza meal that I made from leftover matza? Is there a way to save it? I don't use it enough during the year.

I had insects in a few matza meal packages, I use them up over the year, but it takes time hem. It seems to be a matter of luck, from the original product, but moths also seem to like it. This year, I did not buy any, because I found insects right on pessach in fresh matzo meal last year and that discouraged me. So no matzo ball soup at home this year...

Edited for spelling.

Last edited by Comptroller on Wed, May 01 2024, 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total

Comptroller

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 9:54 am
lovecouches wrote:
Would it keep in the freezer to keep it from getting wormy?

I suppose they lose their crunch if you freeze them.

lovecouches

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 9:58 am
Comptroller wrote:
I suppose they lose their crunch if you freeze them.

It's matza that I ground up in my food processor. It'd just expensive and I dont use it during the year that much. I still have leftover from last pesach that I had made chametz

zaq

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 2:14 pm
amother Birch wrote:
I second this. The mess it can make is not worth it.
mess, shmess, oils go rancid fast.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics