Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
The name Rut
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 4:47 am
Want to use this name, currently living in Israel and trying to figure out how it would be purnounced by americans. Rus? Rut (like the root of a tree)? Ruth? Some other nickname?

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 4:55 am
Rut in Israel isn't root it's much softer but I don't know how to explain it in English

Success10

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 4:56 am
In Israel, it's almost always "Ruti" the first few years of life.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 4:57 am
amother Brunette wrote:
Rut in Israel isn't root it's much softer but I don't know how to explain it in English

Exactly, With the Israeli accent it has a nice ring but I am torn because my family is bi-cultural.

salt

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 4:58 am
amother Brunette wrote:

Rhyming with 'foot'.

amother
Viola

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 5:15 am
amother OP wrote:
Exactly, With the Israeli accent it has a nice ring but I am torn because my family is bi-cultural.

I have similar dilemmas with almost every baby. The reish is the worst in terms of liking a name with Hebrew and English pronunciation. But I don't get your question completely- if you say the name is Rut with Hebrew pronunciation, most will probably try to imitate that with an English "r". Why would they call her Rus or Ruth without you saying that's her name? Actually, I have an aunt that would say that's hard for her to remember, can she call her Ruth instead since it's more familiar. But most would probably just do their best to say Rut with an English r. So similar to Root I guess. (I haven't noticed the "u" being so soft as to rhyme with "foot" and I have encountered Ruts that go by Rut and not Ruti even as babies.)

amother
Mayflower

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 6:17 am
amother Viola wrote:
I have similar dilemmas with almost every baby. The reish is the worst in terms of liking a name with Hebrew and English pronunciation. But I don't get your question completely- if you say the name is Rut with Hebrew pronunciation, most will probably try to imitate that with an English "r". Why would they call her Rus or Ruth without you saying that's her name? Actually, I have an aunt that would say that's hard for her to remember, can she call her Ruth instead since it's more familiar. But most would probably just do their best to say Rut with an English r. So similar to Root I guess. (I haven't noticed the "u" being so soft as to rhyme with "foot" and I have encountered Ruts that go by Rut and not Ruti even as babies.)

People often default to a familiar, similar sounding name.
My cousin Ilan is known as Alan by most of the family outside Israel. Those that make an effort tend to pronounce it EE-lAn.
I know a Rut who has been fighting a twenty year battle not to be Ruti - Israelis often default to that. Again, part of the family just call her Ruth.
Noa tends to become Noah.
Yehoshua somehow became Josh, once people realised what his name meant.

Especially when it comes to grandparents, you can't be correcting them all the time.

Raisin

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 6:30 am
really depends if your american family are frum are not. No one I know would call Ilan Alan or Yehoshua Josh.

amother
Outerspace

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 7:03 am
Success10 wrote:
In Israel, it's almost always "Ruti" the first few years of life.

I have a neice in America called this way. The mothers mother is an Israeli so they are used to this pronunciation.
Shes the cutest kid with the cutest personality

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 8:46 am
Ruti and russy and rus are all relatively common names in my American yeshivish circles
And no one would change around someone’s name. That’s prob if the relatives are not frum. Not if they’re American

Isramom8

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 8:53 am
salt wrote:
Rhyming with 'foot'.

Not like foot. More like root but with a hard reish and a hard tav.

Our granddaughter is Rut and she is adorable! Rut was always our daughter's favorite girls name; don't ask me to account for Israeli taste. Laugh

And her sister is Yiska Yees-KA, which was always our son-in-law's favorite girl's name (and why does a guy even have a favorite girl's name).

They don't want Rut called Ruti but they allow Ruth for chutznikim.

We told them that Yiska is Jessica.

jerusalem90

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 9:04 am
Isramom8 wrote:
Not like foot. More like root but with a hard reish and a hard tav.

Our granddaughter is Rut and she is adorable! Rut was always our daughter's favorite girls name; don't ask me to account for Israeli taste. Laugh

And her sister is Yiska Yees-KA, which was always our son-in-law's favorite girl's name (and why does a guy even have a favorite girl's name).

They don't want Rut called Ruti but they allow Ruth for chutznikim.

We told them that Yiska is Jessica.

100% agree. I don't understand saying it rhymes with "foot" at all! Much more liken "root", but with a different "r".

A guy is allowed to have a favorite girl's name, since I had a favorite boy's name (which I named my son)

amother
Magnolia

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 5:26 pm
Not the same but wondering what Americans think of (nick) naming Ruthie. Would that be considered a really strange/old fashioned name in mainstream “yeshivish” communities?

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 5:44 pm
Americans will pronounce it the same way as cut.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 5:45 pm
amother Brunette wrote:

More like foot.

sruth1

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 5:50 pm
I go by Rusi and my niece goes by Ruti. Both of us live in America.

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 5:56 pm
I like the name but usually see it spelled Rus or Ruth. When I first saw thread title I though you were in a rut about naming

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 5:56 pm
amother Mustard wrote:
I like the name but usually see it spelled Rus or Ruth. When I first saw thread title I though you were in a rut about naming

Same.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 6:20 pm
It's similar to the name Yehudis/Yehudit. There is no pronunciation that both Americans and Israelis will use.

Americans will say: Ruthy (roo-thee), Ruth (rhymes with tooth), Rus or Rut (rhymes with foot or foot with an s at the end).
Israelis will say: Rut (rhymes with root but with the Israeli resh) or Ruti (root-tee with an Israeli resh).

I live in Israel and some of my kids have names with two pronunciations. If you ask them in English, what's your name? They answer with the American pronunciation. If you ask them in Hebrew, they answer with the Israeli pronunciation!

amother
DarkOrange

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 6:31 pm
amother Magnolia wrote:
Not the same but wondering what Americans think of (nick) naming Ruthie. Would that be considered a really strange/old fashioned name in mainstream “yeshivish” communities?

In America or E”Y? We have a Ruthie, she is one of the only 2 in the school, but it’s totally accepted not seen as strange at all.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names