Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
The name Rut
Previous  1  2

amother
Magnolia

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 6:40 pm
amother DarkOrange wrote:
In America or E”Y? We have a Ruthie, she is one of the only 2 in the school, but it’s totally accepted not seen as strange at all.

In America. Oh cute! Glad to hear

Isramom8

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 6:45 pm
When our granddaughter Rut's parents allowed Rut's great-grandmother to call her Ruth, our son the baby's uncle said that Israelis would find Ruth to sound strange. As in, "He keek deh ball high and it land on deh ruth."

amother
DarkOrange

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 8:49 pm
amother Magnolia wrote:
In America. Oh cute! Glad to hear

She’s a very social popular kid no one bats an eyelash at her name it’s perfectly accepted. The school (typical B”Y) doesn’t bat an eyelash that it’s an “English” name.

amother
Dill

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 9:10 pm
amother Brunette wrote:
Rut in Israel isn't root it's much softer but I don't know how to explain it in English

Rhymes with foot. Or put.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 10:03 pm
I live in America and I have a Rus. The vowel is similar to the vowel sound in "foot."

My husband and I didn't love how the version of the name with a tav sounds in an American accent, "Root." It's much softer in an Israeli accent. "Ruti" is usually pronounced with the vowel sounding like "foot."

amother
Magnolia

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 9:36 am
amother DarkOrange wrote:
She’s a very social popular kid no one bats an eyelash at her name it’s perfectly accepted. The school (typical B”Y) doesn’t bat an eyelash that it’s an “English” name.

Oh ok that’s great to hear!

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 4:15 pm
I actually know a Ruti, not sure how she spells it though. Somehow spelled in English Ruti seems to look better than Rut

amother
Crimson

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 4:22 pm
American yeshivish here- I have a little girl- “Rus”, but by non frum family she’s Ruthie. I have Israeli friends I let call her Ruti. She’ll answer to any but calls herself Rusi.

Isramom8

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 5:20 am
amother Crimson wrote:
American yeshivish here- I have a little girl- “Rus”, but by non frum family she’s Ruthie. I have Israeli friends I let call her Ruti. She’ll answer to any but calls herself Rusi.

That's so cute and adaptable.

Our granddaughter Rut started saying that her name was Ruti but her parents didn't allow it. She's 2 😆

amother
DarkGray

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 6:17 am
I know one. Her parents are Israeli and her name is pronounced something like “ray-oot”. Growing up the only girls with that name I knew were pronounced “rus” so I always feel self conscious and unsure when I’m saying her name because I don’t know if I’m pronouncing it right.

rivkie123

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 6:29 am
amother DarkGray wrote:
I know one. Her parents are Israeli and her name is pronounced something like “ray-oot”. Growing up the only girls with that name I knew were pronounced “rus” so I always feel self conscious and unsure when I’m saying her name because I don’t know if I’m pronouncing it right.

If it's pronounced like that it's probably the name רעות and not רות

Elfrida

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 7:12 am
amother DarkGray wrote:

Re'ut is a different name, with a different pronunciation and meaning.

רעות not רות

amother
DarkGray

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 1:44 am
Elfrida wrote:
Re'ut is a different name, with a different pronunciation and meaning.

רעות not רות

Oooh interesting. Never knew it was a totally different name.

Haha I’m pregnant now and my husband just mentioned that name for a possible name for the baby and I was like I can’t even pronounce it 😝.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 5:46 pm
My friend just had a Ruth, she was named today. They are American MO.

Antelope

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 2:03 am
Ruti. Btw, Ruth means kindness. Which is why when someone is “ruthless,” they show no kindness. Smile

amother
Heather

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 2:07 am
I find these threads bizarre
Everyone will pronounce every name to the best of their abilities, usually depending on their mother tongue and what their speech organs are used to. So what if the name won’t sound Israeli? It is still correct pronunciation. And yes it will sound like „root“. Or not. Everyone will still know what name it is. ANY Hebrew name pronounced by an American with an American accent will sound different from an Israeli.

amother
Magnolia

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 9:35 am
amother Denim wrote:
My friend just had a Ruth, she was named today. They are American MO.

Do you know if they plan to call her Ruth?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names