Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
If you don't do gentle parenting, has your toddler
Previous  1  2

amother
Fern

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 9:25 pm
Nope OP. Toddler never sat on baby for more than a second. safety first. And if they tried doing it again they were told off not to do it again and removed from the situation

amother
Nemesia

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 10:32 pm
amother Blonde wrote:
Take away the fork....

And then what? They eat with their hands? (I mean, this child would, but we've actually been working on getting them to use utensils so I don't really want to encourage them to go back to hands.)

effess

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 10:35 pm
Spoon?

amother
Nemesia

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 10:35 pm
amother Aquamarine wrote:
So what did you do? The child just kept poking the other child?

I told the child very sternly that if they poke their sibling even one more time, they're going into time out. I then asked the child to tell me what will happen if they poke, they said they'll get put in time out. I asked if they want to go to time out, they said no, I then asked if they're going to poke again, they said no, and they did not poke again.

That worked this time. But A, there have been many such occurrences where the child would immediately have poked again anyway, I'm not even sure why- to assert their ability to do so? I don't know, and B, as far as I can tell gentle parents are against time outs and consequences that are imposed as opposed to naturally occuring. So that's why I'm curious what a gentle parent's next step would be.

amother
Nemesia

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 10:36 pm
effess wrote:
Spoon?

A spoon is an effective poking mechanism too Smile

amother
Steelblue

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 11:27 pm
I would try saying "forks are for eating food" while gently bringing their hand to their food.
or give them an option to sit in another room to calm down. (Best if you can sit with them but if not give them a book). And later when it's not mealtime discuss the no poking, we use forks for eating "rule."
Also depends on age.

amother
Lily

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 11:51 pm
amother Moonstone wrote:
It may have taken a few minutes because I was in the bathroom or in the next room, not because I was actively not doing anything to save my baby.

Just a thought, a lot of toddlers can't be trusted alone around babies for the length of time it takes some parents to go to the bathroom. I know not everyone has a setup like this, but if you need to go, best to put toddler in a playpen or child safe room with baby gate and put the baby outside in a rocker (or with you in the bathroom). That way there's less chance of your toddler doing totally normal toddler things that aren't safe for a baby.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics