Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
I Need To Lose Ten Pounds!!

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 04 2024, 7:19 pm
I am not super overweight, I weigh like 150-160 lbs, but I am 5 ft tall so that is definitely over the recommended weight.... I was told by multiple doctors and others in the fertility field that in order for anything to work, I need to lose weight.

For the past few months, I have already been making changes to my diet. I used to hate fleishigs and only ate milchigs, which is usually very carby (pizza, pasta, etc). Now I seldom if ever make milchigs for dinner, I make a vegetable soup every night, and I have drastically cut down the amount of starches I eat. I make spelt sourdough and try to stay away from white flour, and from wheat in general. I make lots of schnitzel, chicken on the bone, salmon, meat, and eggs. My doctor recommended I eat more protein in the beginning of the day, so for breakfast I eat yogurt or eggs (or both). I make a salad or cut up veggies every night for dinner, which is a major improvement for me since I hate vegetables. Even after doing this for four months, my weight has not budged. My doctor prescribed metformin for me, but I saw no improvement with that either. I didnt gain any weight but did not lose either.

(As far as exercise, I walk everywhere, and most nights I go walking with my husband after supper. I am at a loss where to add in more exercise into my schedule. )

Now, after all this, we were told (not by a doctor, but by an askan in the fertility field) that any treatments we will try will not work unless I somehow shed ten pounds. He said the metformin won't do anything for me since I am not obese.

What else can I do?? I am such a picky eater and I feel so deprived whenever I think about what I am really craving. In the past I tried serious dieting, cutting things out and doing intense exercise, and saw literally no results. My body holds onto fat like we are in the middle of a famine or something. It's legit impossible for me to lose weight.

How can I shed these ten pounds? Is there any way I can do it while still eating food I like??

AlwaysCleaning

Post Sat, May 04 2024, 7:35 pm
Oy op this sounds so hard!
Some things to consider - are you eating frequently enough? (having healthy balanced snacks throughout the day will increase metabolism and ensure you don't walk into meal time too hungry) Drinking enough? Maybe try adding more fiber to your diet too?
I'm so sorry, so frustrating that you're literally doing everything right and those pounds won't budge.
Hatzlacha and hugs!

amother
Red

Post Sat, May 04 2024, 7:38 pm
Would cutting carbs and sugar be an option that often helps jumpstart the weight loss
There’s a cleanse online I use to help me lose weight

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 04 2024, 7:39 pm
amother Red wrote:
Would cutting carbs and sugar be an option that often helps jumpstart the weight loss
There’s a cleanse online I use to help me lose weight

I tried cutting carbs out. I tried so hard!! but then I was starving and if I starve then I end up falling so bad!

amother
Junglegreen

Post Sat, May 04 2024, 7:41 pm
Do you have pcos? I hate to say this, but In order to improve or reverse insulin resistance you'll need to go very, very low carb.

Did you rule out subclinical thyroid issues? Are you doing anything to address excess androgens?

There are supplements you can take that help regulate blood sugar.

amother
Junglegreen

Post Sat, May 04 2024, 7:42 pm
amother OP wrote:
I tried cutting carbs out. I tried so hard!! but then I was starving and if I starve then I end up falling so bad!
When you cut carbs, do you add in loads more fat? People focus on proteins but fat is so important for satiety.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sat, May 04 2024, 7:45 pm
1) askan isn't God

2) can you work with a nutritionist to help guide you?

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 04 2024, 8:01 pm
amother Junglegreen wrote:
Do you have pcos? I hate to say this, but In order to improve or reverse insulin resistance you'll need to go very, very low carb.

Did you rule out subclinical thyroid issues? Are you doing anything to address excess androgens?

There are supplements you can take that help regulate blood sugar.

Yes, I have PCOS.
I only eat bread on shabbos, and even then it is spelt sourdough. Potatoes and rice-barely, maybe once or twice a week. I'll put some potatoes in my soups, but they are mostly fiber-full veggies like squash, celery, onions, carrots, etc.
How low carb??

amother
Geranium

Post Sat, May 04 2024, 8:04 pm
Instead of walking, find a more intense workout, like a cycling class, or lap swimming.

amother
Leaf

Post Sat, May 04 2024, 8:11 pm
Look up dunkan diet.
I don't recommend it long term but short term it's really doable and works well enough to lose 10 lbs in a short time.
Basically you eat as much protein as you want (only protein !!)for a few days plus 2Tbsp of oat bran(it sounds like a little bit it's essential, don't start without it. It keeps you from being hungry and help your transit)
Afterward you alternate protein days and days with fruits and vegetables.

(I've done it while adding 2 slices of whole wheat bread per day and still lost weight.)
This is a very basic explanation of the plan, look it up to follow!!

ImmaBubby

Post Sat, May 04 2024, 8:16 pm
I did “sugarbusters”- you can get the book on Amazon.
I lost 13 lbs in a matter of months and felt much better.

amother
Dill

Post Sat, May 04 2024, 8:29 pm
OP, as someone with a pretty severe PCOS diagnosis myself, the only thing that worked (did not lose weight but got pregnant naturally bh, and shocked the drs!) was a combination of :
1. intermittent fasting 18/6
2. very low carb, low glycemic diet
3. walking everyday. Heavy exercise might be counter intuitive as stress on the body might affect fertility. Strength training is great for PCOS.
4. Working on my stress

I did this for 3 months and got pregnant after almost 2 years of no cycles. I also felt so much better, energized, and clear brained that I am able to upkeep 80 to 90 percent of this diet while pregnant BH!

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 04 2024, 8:31 pm
amother Dill wrote:
OP, as someone with a pretty severe PCOS diagnosis myself, the only thing that worked (did not lose weight but got pregnant naturally bh, and shocked the drs!) was a combination of :
1. intermittent fasting 18/6
2. very low carb, low glycemic diet
3. walking everyday. Heavy exercise might be counter intuitive as stress on the body might affect fertility. Strength training is great for PCOS.
4. Working on my stress

I did this for 3 months and got pregnant after almost 2 years of no cycles. I also felt so much better, energized, and clear brained that I am able to upkeep 80 to 90 percent of this diet while pregnant BH!

Thank you! Can you share what types of things you eat? what hours you ate? etc
What is strength training? Can I do it at home? I don't live near a gym...

eta what do you mean by working on your stress?

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sat, May 04 2024, 8:49 pm
Look up boro park nutrition. They take insurances and even have zoom appointments

amother
Strawberry

Post Sat, May 04 2024, 8:57 pm
amother OP wrote:

Not the same poster but strength training is fantastic!!

Pilates is a great example. If you have access to you tube there are some good instructors with great video workouts you can follow.

HIIT is another but more intense

amother
Clover

Post Sat, May 04 2024, 9:22 pm
Have you tried a PCOS specific diet?
No sugar, gluten, dairy. No white potatoes, no white rice, only olive oil, coconut oil, or avocado oil.
My sister did this diet and not only lost weight, reversed her PCOS enough to have a baby.

amother
Dill

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 8:06 am
amother OP wrote:

Oh, and most important I forgot to mention: very high animal fats, like butter, chicken and meat fat, fish oils. I take cod liver oil daily. Make sure to eat at least 2 tbsp a day.

Foods I ate:
eggs with lots of butter, cheese, ezekiel wraps with smoked salmon, cream cheese and veggies (make sure it has no sugar) was my favorite!, plain greek yogurt with nuts and seeds, salads, lots of chicken cooked in animal fats, fish, meat, cooked or steamed veggies, sweeten anything with monk fruit (stevia is not good for fertility) liver, 99 percent dark chocolate (no sugar), no fruits only berries, so I made yummy smoothies with plain yogurt, milk and berries , sometimes added nut butters (make sure it has no added sugars again) Iced coffee with monk fruit, I was allowed 2 to 3 dates a day, so I stuffed with peanut butter and dipped in dark chocolate, that was my treat with my coffee. I love jerky, again, so sugars or sauces on it, I buy the biltong, its really delicious. Drink coffee with heavy cream not milk to add animal fats.
Truth is, for 2 weeks I was miserable, in a bad mood and hungry. With time, I got used to this, I only ate from 12 to 6 as I was fasting, so it wasn't this hard.

Strength training is building muscle, you can find beginners videos online.

Working on stress, most importantly is: Good sleep at normal hours, go out in nature as often as possible. Then you have the stress that is individual: Are you working too many hours, can you journal, socialize with people that make you feel good etc.

I would be willing to speak to you if you would like, I am very passionate about what I did and how it changed my life bh. Let me know if you would want to .

BmoreBubby

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 2:24 pm
amother Saddlebrown wrote:
1) askan isn't God

2) can you work with a nutritionist to help guide you?

Don't want to nitpick - but she needs a dietitian not a nutritionist - many people equate the two but they're not the same.

BmoreBubby

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 2:27 pm
Hey, I really feel for you. Been there, done that! I really feel that better than asking random strangers for advice it would be best for you to hire - even for one session - a profession RD (registered dietitian). Bottom line: Yes, it is possible for anyone including you to lose weight and keep it off. But the only way to do it is to count your calories, period. And yes, you should eat a balanced nutritious diet while doing so! But for weight loss, it's ultimately about how many calories you eat v. burn. And the body has built-in hunger hormones that will trick you into maintaining your current weight unless you actively over-rule them, and the ONLY way to do that is by counting calories. I am not an expert and I know that people can get expert help from an RD who will basically count the calories for you and tell you exactly what to eat each day. But they can be expensive, so if you want to do it yourself you can use a book like Diet and Fitness Journal or if you want a Torah-based approach, try Body & Soul (or even with an RD you may want to get one or both of these). Good luck!

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 4:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
I am not super overweight, I weigh like 150-160 lbs, but I am 5 ft tall so that is definitely over the recommended weight.... I was told by multiple doctors and others in the fertility field that in order for anything to work, I need to lose weight.

For the past few months, I have already been making changes to my diet. I used to hate fleishigs and only ate milchigs, which is usually very carby (pizza, pasta, etc). Now I seldom if ever make milchigs for dinner, I make a vegetable soup every night, and I have drastically cut down the amount of starches I eat. I make spelt sourdough and try to stay away from white flour, and from wheat in general. I make lots of schnitzel, chicken on the bone, salmon, meat, and eggs. My doctor recommended I eat more protein in the beginning of the day, so for breakfast I eat yogurt or eggs (or both). I make a salad or cut up veggies every night for dinner, which is a major improvement for me since I hate vegetables. Even after doing this for four months, my weight has not budged. My doctor prescribed metformin for me, but I saw no improvement with that either. I didnt gain any weight but did not lose either.

(As far as exercise, I walk everywhere, and most nights I go walking with my husband after supper. I am at a loss where to add in more exercise into my schedule. )

Now, after all this, we were told (not by a doctor, but by an askan in the fertility field) that any treatments we will try will not work unless I somehow shed ten pounds. He said the metformin won't do anything for me since I am not obese.

What else can I do?? I am such a picky eater and I feel so deprived whenever I think about what I am really craving. In the past I tried serious dieting, cutting things out and doing intense exercise, and saw literally no results. My body holds onto fat like we are in the middle of a famine or something. It's legit impossible for me to lose weight.

How can I shed these ten pounds? Is there any way I can do it while still eating food I like??

That is ridiculous. You absolutely can do fertility treatments at that weight.

Reminds me of the lady who finally lost weight, and then they discovered that she had male factor infertility and that's why Clomid wasn't working. Tell these doctors to stop being so fatphobic or find one who is willing to treat you as is.

(By all means you can lose weight first, if you so desire. It may increase your chances of success. But you absolutely can do fertility treatments without losing weight first.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise