Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Bedtime takes 2 hrs for co sleeping baby

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 04 2024, 9:12 pm
I have a 7 month old and I co sleep with her, Iv nursed her to sleep or rocked her for every nap and bedtime. Iv done contact naps in the beginning till about 2 months ago where I nurse her laying down and then roll away while she stays asleep. This works for us and we’re both happy. The issue is bedtime. I have a nighttime routine and I nurse her to sleep and she falls asleep but when I get up to leave she wakes up minutes later so I try again and again asleep in minutes but when I get up to leave she’s up. It take about 2 hrs of this dance till she’s finally in a deep enough sleep that I can leave and she’ll stay asleep. Asking all co sleeping/nursing to sleep mommies is this normal? Is there something else I should be doing? Any advice? Or am I just going to have to accept this 2 hr dance

And please don’t say sleep train because I’m not gunnu do it.it’s not for us. Just looking to see if anyone can relate.

amother
Bronze

Post Sat, May 04 2024, 9:15 pm
You’re a great mama. I do the same. It’s not easy but it’s normal for a baby who co sleeps and nurses to sleep.

hodeez

Post Sat, May 04 2024, 9:17 pm
If you're not gonna sleep train then yes this is your life for the next little while. Not easy

amother
Tealblue

Post Sat, May 04 2024, 9:21 pm
Takes between 1 to 2 hours to settle my nursing to sleep 7 month old baby for the night. I don't try putting her down before an hour. After that it's sometimes a couple of tries.

amother
Peony

Post Sat, May 04 2024, 9:34 pm
Yup.
Thats why we have phones and imamother , I use that time to catch up..

But it def gets easier..and quicker. Baby is now over a yr and I do nurse to sleep still, takes 10, min. She then wakes up 2, hours later, nurse again.. but thats besides the point.. still sleeps in my bed..

amother
Celeste

Post Sat, May 04 2024, 9:38 pm
My baby is 9 months old and has been nursed to sleep since birth. I also havnt sleep trained but this doesn’t happen where it takes 2 hours. That said,

Is she sleeping too much during the day and is there a at least 4 hours of wake time from last nap until bedtime?

When she wakes up after a few minutes do you wait 2 minutes to see if she’s just crying in her sleep? My baby sometimes does this but he’s really sleeping and when I wait 2 minutes he’s back to sleep.

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 04 2024, 10:02 pm
It’s so nice to read that I’m not the only one doing the 2 hr dance.
Also to answer amother Celeste, I follow my baby’s sleepy cues and I don’t put her to bed till she’s showing she’s tired. Usually her max awake before bed is 3 hrs. But I doubt I could push it to 4 hrs.
And yes I have a video monitor and usually wait till I see she is visually awake and crying.

amother
Celeste

Post Sat, May 04 2024, 10:09 pm
I just find that if my baby is super tired then he goes to sleep better and gets into that deeper sleep faster. I’m not talking about super overtired but very tired. It’s a fine balance. Otherwise he wakes up the way you describe (this has nothing to do with co sleeping btw)
How many hours a day does your baby nap?

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 04 2024, 10:57 pm
amother Celeste wrote:
I just find that if my baby is super tired then he goes to sleep better and gets into that deeper sleep faster. I’m not talking about super overtired but very tired. It’s a fine balance. Otherwise he wakes up the way you describe (this has nothing to do with co sleeping btw)
How many hours a day does your baby nap?

Interesting. Do you do any sort of activities with him to tire him out?
She takes 2 2hr naps a day. Sometimes 3 naps but then only the first nap will be 2 hrs the other 2 1 hr each. So a total of 4 hrs of day time sleep.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 1:40 pm
I find if my baby is too tired she doesn't finish nursing and then wakes up hungry soon. But if she's not tired enough she nurses quickly and then pops off... it's a challenge.

amother
PlumPink

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 4:05 pm
Wow. I can literally cry from relief that I'm not the only one doing this. My baby just turned one and I am not going to sleep train either. I have no advice other than been there done that with one of my other kids and am doing it again now. It won't last forever and we'll miss it when they grow up.

amother
Pansy

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 10:44 pm
I found it can help to replace you with a pacifier? Would that work? Likr when they fell asleep on you to quickly unlatch and replace with paci
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics