Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Gardening
Blackberries
Previous  1  2

nicole81

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 10:31 am
Rappel wrote:
Thank you! I'm looking into it

From personal experience, I think the aphids in Israel are a bit bigger than the ones in NY/NJ -- definitely visible to the naked eye, for better or for worse. Some are black and some green, and the ants seem to herd them like cows, which is funny to watch.

So from what I've seen in my garden, I think my plan might work, but I won't know until I try, I guess. I wish I could see your set up!

What would you use to confirm that a batch of berries seems kosher?

Would you only grow raspberries hydroponically? How would you keep the bugs out?

I follow the star k guidance for checking and would only grow "not recommended" species hydroponically. That's funny about the ants. I've never seen that!

I feel like "netting" that is as close weave as the thrip cloth the star k sells could work, but I haven't been able to find like fabric yet.

nicole81

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 4:25 am
nicole81 wrote:

Orlah does apply to blackberries but if you don't know the age of the plant exactly there's leniency to eat from it if it can possibly be of age.

Just realized I didn't know it was in E"Y when I wrote this. The leniency only applies outside of Israel. Wanted to clarify.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 6:36 am
nicole81 wrote:
I follow the star k guidance for checking and would only grow "not recommended" species hydroponically. That's funny about the ants. I've never seen that!

I feel like "netting" that is as close weave as the thrip cloth the star k sells could work, but I haven't been able to find like fabric yet.

Ants enjoy the sticky secretions aphids produce. Ants actually have an interesting relationship with aphids- they protect them from predators in order to maintain a supply of sticky stuff (I forget the name of it atm). A
Serious aphid infestation often leads to an ant problem as well. They build on each other. In that case, you have to get rid of the ants to deal with the aphids properly.

Also, I am not familiar with thrip cloth- would stockings do the trick?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Gardening