Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Kitchen layout

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 5:14 pm
Planning an extention on my house bezras Hashem w a new kitchen.

With the layout of the old house and new, I think it makes the most sense for the dinette to be on the dining room side and the kitchen on the playroom side.

The space planner and kitchen designer look at me as if I grew horns and consider placing the kitchen away from the dining room a no go. They wont even discuss it, just say it makes no sense.

Ok. Ok. In theory I trust them.
But I dont.

Can you imas explain the problem here?

I actually like it.
1. If I need to overflow people they are right near the dining room
2. Its not that far from the DR door to the island so I dont see what the problem is of "youll need to walk so far to serve!' and
If we need to I can add counter near the DR for serving too.
3. My house growing up had this set up with no problems!

There are more.

Please help me understand why this is considered so bad!

Rappel

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 5:18 pm
It's your house. You need to feel comfortable with it. I think it's really rude of them to question a customer's specific request/decision

amother
Steelblue

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 5:19 pm
I don't understand what you mean when you write dinette to be on the dining room side and the kitchen on the playroom side. How do I know where the dining room is or where the playroom is, to understand what you mean, if you don't provide a drawing or written description?

joonabug

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 5:22 pm
u need to show us some sort of plans or a pic of the layout. how are we supposed to give our opinion otherwise?

amother
Cerulean

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 7:56 pm
I understand , and it makes sense to me
BTW- I think your way is a much smarter design.
Is it possible for plumbing and gas lines to do it your way?
Insist and go for it

Contractor actually told me it’s my signature on my artwork. I answer I’m the one that needs to live with it, not you. So yes it’s true everyone will say why did so and so do it that way, but I DONT CARE. It’s my home and if it’s doable I want it MY WAY.

amother
Ruby

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 8:02 pm
You all are not getting the point. The contractor and designer are trying to tell her that in their experience it’s not a practical choice and they believe she will regret it, not that they’re trying to boss her around.

I honestly don’t know the answer to that question op.
My in laws have a similar set up as you described and serving is no big deal. My mil uses a cart to serve soup.

In my own home, the kitchen and dining room aren’t directly next to each other either, but I have a mini Shabbes kitchen off the dining room….

I don’t think it’s a big deal.

teachkids

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 8:10 pm
Personally I would love a dinette between my kitchen and dining room to use as a staging ground for food ready to go so my children and guests can "help serve" without being underfoot
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen