Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Does meat usually cause diarrhea?

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 4:46 am
I have a 9 month old who has had a variety of vegetarian food since he was 4 months old, with no issues. 2 days ago I gave him meatballs for the first time, then shortly afterward he had a diaper of diarrhea. Yesterday no meat and normal poop. Today again I gave him meatballs and really quickly after he had diarrhea. I've been eating the exact same meatballs and have been fine.

Is he not tolerating meat? Is that normal? Or maybe just a coincidence?

amother
Fern

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 4:59 am
Meat often causes me to have an upset stomach, so it's entirely possible.

On the other hand, how dod you cook the meatballs, and what other I greediness were involved? If they were in a tomato sauce, maybe he has problems digesting tomatoes. Look into it carefully without jumping to conclusions.

Comptroller

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 5:14 am
It can cause diarrhea when it is not OK any more, and then in general it has a rather caracteristic smell, also in the stool.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 5:17 am
Comptroller wrote:
It can cause diarrhea when it is not OK any more, and then in general it has a rather caracteristic smell, also in the stool.

I've been eating it and it smells and tastes good, and didn't cause diarrhea in me

amother
Fern

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 5:19 am
amother OP wrote:
I've been eating it and it smells and tastes good, and didn't cause diarrhea in me

It can cause diarrhea for me when it is newly defrosted and freshly cooked, and no one else at the table has any problem. Some people just react badly to it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 5:23 am
amother Fern wrote:
It can cause diarrhea for me when it is newly defrosted and freshly cooked, and no one else at the table has any problem. Some people just react badly to it.

Interesting, both times I took it out of the freezer and microwaved it

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 6:33 am
He might be sensitive to the tomato sauce (assuming there was). Rewarmed ground meat is also high in histamine and he might be sensitive

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 6:44 am
In general people who gave been vegetarian and start eating meat can get upset stomachs and meat has to be introduced slowly. Is there a reason you chose to delay giving meat until this time? Delayed exposure to food is more likely to lead to food sensitivities. Beef broth might be a good way to introduce meat, as well as tinier pieces of meat on occasion. Also, try to make sure the meat is lower fat, which will be easier on the stomach.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics