Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Agent at check-in asked 'Are you pregnant'?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 6:03 pm
Why on earth would she have a reason to ask me that????

We were checking in for a flight yesterday and after giving back the passports she said to me 'excuse me ma'am, are you pregnant?'

I'm not pregnant. Yes I'm overweight, but not to an extreme. Why did she need to ask me that?

theoneandonly

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 6:06 pm
Airlines have rules that you can't fly past a certain week so maybe it had to do with that.
Or maybe she was going to tell you that when you go through security you can tell them to skip the full body scan.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 6:08 pm
theoneandonly wrote:
Airlines have rules that you can't fly past a certain week so maybe it had to do with that.
Or maybe she was going to tell you that when you go through security you can tell them to skip the full body scan.

I get that, but why would she think I'm close to end of a pregnancy? I really don't think I look that bad. Or at least, I hope I don't Twisted Evil

amother
Starflower

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 6:08 pm
I’d assume it has to do with the scan

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 6:10 pm
amother Starflower wrote:
I’d assume it has to do with the scan

I was travelling from the UK. Maybe it's different in the US, but there you just walk through a detector (unless it beeps and then they do an additional scan) and I don't think they do anything differently if you're pregnant.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 6:10 pm
They once asked me when I took my kid to the dentist. She wanted to tell me to go very far from the xray. She said I’m sorry if this is insensitive but are you pregnant. I was so it was fine. But they usually ask around scans. So that’s likely it.

amother
Cinnamon

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 6:11 pm
amother OP wrote:
I was travelling from the UK. Maybe it's different in the US, but there you just walk through a detector (unless it beeps and then they do an additional scan) and I don't think they do anything differently if you're pregnant.

That’s a scan

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 6:12 pm
amother Cinnamon wrote:
That’s a scan

I know, but what would they do differently if I was pregnant? I've travelled when pregnant many times and still had to go through the detector.

Also, they would have no way to know at security even if she asked me at the check-in desk.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 6:13 pm
amother Cinnamon wrote:
They once asked me why I took my kid to the dentist. She wanted to tell me to go very far from the xray. She said I’m sorry if this is insensitive but are you pregnant. I was so it was fine. But they usually ask around scans. So that’s likely it.

It was at check-in, not by security.

I guess I'm wondering if I'm blinded to how overweight I am. I didn't think anyone thought I was pregnant Surprised

readreread

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 6:13 pm
I agree, that's rude. I am straight-size and I have never been asked if I am pregnant (except when I actually am), even around the airport scanner. She sounds like an unkind person.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 6:14 pm
readreread wrote:
I agree, that's rude. I am straight-size and I have never been asked if I am pregnant (except when I actually am), even around the airport scanner. She sounds like an unkind person.

She seemed nice though.

Maybe it's a wake-up call that I really need to start eating healthier and lose some weight.

Just wondering what reason she had to ask me. It wasn't by security. The only reason is if she thought I was past week 35 though I really don't think I look that bad. Maybe I'm wrong.

amother
Starflower

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 6:15 pm
amother OP wrote:
It was at check-in, not by security.

I guess I'm wondering if I'm blinded to how overweight I am. I didn't think anyone thought I was pregnant Surprised
No being overweight doesn’t mean looking pregnant. It’s the shape that matters. I’d assume that she’s socially off and not take it to heart. If you really looked pregnant you’d see people glancing at your stomach.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 6:17 pm
amother Starflower wrote:
No being overweight doesn’t mean looking pregnant. It’s the shape that matters. I’d assume that she’s socially off and not take it to heart. If you really looked pregnant you’d see people glancing at your stomach.

I am out of shape and my stomach does stick out a little. So I guess I'm worried that others have been thinking I'm pregnant also.

amother
Electricblue

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 6:17 pm
amother Cinnamon wrote:
They once asked me why I took my kid to the dentist. She wanted to tell me to go very far from the xray. She said I’m sorry if this is insensitive but are you pregnant. I was so it was fine. But they usually ask around scans. So that’s likely it.

The first person to know when I'm pregnant is the dentist lol. My teeth act up so much in pregnancy.

Wolfsbane

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 6:22 pm
The most recent time I went on a flight, the check-in agent told me all about how she's happy every day even though she's a sinner because we're all sinners but we can still be saved.
In conclusion, just because someone is serving in an official capacity doesn't mean everything they say is professional and appropriate. Asking if you're pregnant is her faux pas, not yours.

amother
Pearl

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 6:46 pm
When I went to the wine store with my husband on Erev Pesach, he was well dressed while I was really bedraggled in a snood and no makeup. The wine store lady asked if I’m his mother. Ouch. These things happen.

amother
Starflower

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 7:00 pm
amother OP wrote:
I am out of shape and my stomach does stick out a little. So I guess I'm worried that others have been thinking I'm pregnant also.
Ask someone you trust. My grandmother asked my mother if I’m pregnant 🤷 she thought the shirt I was wearing looked maternity ish. Maybe it was something you’re wearing.

tichellady

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 7:24 pm
People are inappropriate. People ask me if I’m pregnant all the time. I’m pretty thin but have a poochy stomach but when I’m bloated I definitely don’t look more than a few months pregnant- so I think it’s very odd

amother
NeonYellow

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 8:02 pm
So rude. A while back, at a work event, a man that I didn’t know came over to me to say that he just noticed that I’m pregnant and wanted to wish me congratulations. I was not pregnant at the time.

I’m pretty average sized, so I have no idea where it came from. Some people are just obnoxious in a clueless way.

amother
Garnet

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 8:13 pm
amother OP wrote:
I know, but what would they do differently if I was pregnant? I've travelled when pregnant many times and still had to go through the detector.

Also, they would have no way to know at security even if she asked me at the check-in desk.

When pregnant I didn’t go through the regular scan, that’s probably why she asked.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics