Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
22 month old not happy to go to playgroup

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 2:57 am
Its a big gan, and other than the original adjustment last zman at 18 months, he absolutely loved going.

The last three days before we left Israel for pesach, he would cry when dropped off, and stay in his carriage most of the time there.

Since we're back, he's still been crying at drop off, from the moment we leave the house.

He just started talking (but barely) and is telling me he's afraid of a person. He doesn't really know what afraid means though (I know that based on other times he's used the word).
On the other hand, he really refuses to go.

As I mentioned, it's a large place (30 children) with 3 morahs. If someone is bothering him, they would probably be savvy enough to do it when no one notices, and the morahs can't actually spend an entire day focusing on it.

Can it be separation anxiety? Should I pull him out? He's 22 months for reference.

amother
Daphne

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 6:03 am
I would want to look into it. Have you tried asking the morahs? Even if they can't spend the entire day focused on it, just looking out for him a bit extra and letting you know what they observe could be really helpful. Or they might already know! That would definitely be my first step. I have also heard of people paying an OT to visit in the playgroup to help figure out what's going on, but I would only go there after exploring other options.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 6:08 am
amother Daphne wrote:
I would want to look into it. Have you tried asking the morahs? Even if they can't spend the entire day focused on it, just looking out for him a bit extra and letting you know what they observe could be really helpful. Or they might already know! That would definitely be my first step. I have also heard of people paying an OT to visit in the playgroup to help figure out what's going on, but I would only go there after exploring other options.

Yes, I spoke to the morahs. They have no clue.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 6:15 am
Find another place.

He is being very emphatic, crying the very minute he knows that's where he's going.

I don't like the sound of the situation. Especially as you say he DID used to like it there.

Peersupport

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 7:41 am
Does he know the children’s names? Can he tell you who he is afraid of?

Regardless I would pull him out if the teachers can’t commit to keep him safe.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics