Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Summer trip to California with children
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 11:15 am
Considering doing a family trip to California with my children ages 7-12 in August. Thinking of starting out in la and maybe traveling a bit. Suggestions on where to stay and what to do appreciated. We love nature, beaches, hiking etc. And would visit Disney or universal but we don't like rides, more like interesting attractions like Epcot in Orlando or universal studios where they show how movies are produced. Is there a similar park there? Does LA have a very city type feel? We don't really enjoy cities but I know there's tons of food there and we're looking for ready kosher food. Please help us plan this trip.

tichellady

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 11:21 am
You might like universal studios
You could go to the Santa Monica/malibu area for hiking and beaches ( not a lot of kosher there but you could bring)
The Channel Islands in Ventura are supposed to be amazing and there is a fancy restaurant in Oxnard and a pizza place in agoura
La is a big city but it’s not hard to get to nature from there

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 11:57 am
Thank you! Any more info appreciated

amother
Orange

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 12:00 pm
Are you ok driving?
Would consider going to Zion National park and Joshua tree.
Longer drive would be the other direction up the PCH (you can also do Yosemite and sequoia )

Zion is one of favorite parks it’s gorgeous!!
Tons of beaches in LA and tons of kosher food
We love Lenny’s casita (Mexican delish food), la gondola is yummy but high end/expensive steak house
Jeff’s is iconic, hot dogs burgers etc.
Venice canals is really cool to walk around.
The science museum is really good and free
If you do universal it might be worth getting VIP passes the lines are super long!

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 12:08 pm
amother Orange wrote:
Are you ok driving?
Would consider going to Zion National park and Joshua tree.
Longer drive would be the other direction up the PCH (you can also do Yosemite and sequoia )

Zion is one of favorite parks it’s gorgeous!!
Tons of beaches in LA and tons of kosher food
We love Lenny’s casita (Mexican delish food), la gondola is yummy but high end/expensive steak house
Jeff’s is iconic, hot dogs burgers etc.
Venice canals is really cool to walk around.
The science museum is really good and free
If you do universal it might be worth getting VIP passes the lines are super long!

Thank you. My kids don't enjoy long drives so I'd rather stay in mostly one area, or a few days in one and then the rest in another. Where is the best place to stay in LA? Are the hotels on the beach a far drive from the kosher area? Also what park in Orlando does universal compare to?

amother
Hibiscus

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 12:25 pm
I live in LA. Most of the kosher restaurants are in Pico and that’s where majority of frum tourists will stay. We’re about 20 minutes from the beach. Santa Monica Pier, Malibu bluffs, point dume and there’s a lot of beaches in between. What kind of activities are you looking for? I’d definitely recommend Disney over universal. The rides are calm so it’s more about what you see when you’re on them and the atmosphere. Stay in Anaheim for the night and go to Disney in the morning. There’s a Warner brothers studio tour if you’re into that.

You can also drive down to San Diego for a few days and do SeaWorld and/or LEGOLAND. There’s kosher food in the La Jolla Ralph’s and during the summer months there’s a kosher dinner place at the Beth Jacob shul.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 12:32 pm
Warning: The Orlando parks are much better than the LA parks. Better and bigger. If you've done them already, I wouldn't waste your time doing them again. They are crazy expensive.

Amarante

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 1:00 pm
Disneyland and Universal are both really geared to rides. Universal has a hokey tram ride through the backlot which can be fun

There are some serious tours - notably NBC Burbank - this page includes some others. Evidently there is a tour of Warners Studio with an upgraded version as well.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/At......html

Ellie7

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 1:12 pm
amother Hibiscus wrote:

You can also drive down to San Diego for a few days and do SeaWorld and/or LEGOLAND. There’s kosher food in the La Jolla Ralph’s and during the summer months there’s a kosher dinner place at the Beth Jacob shul.

It sounds like San Diego could be a good fit for a few days. We actually have more kosher than ever before: the supermarket in La Jolla (Ralph’s) has sushi, deli sandwiches, and some other takeout; we have a great French bakery; a pizza place; and two Israeli food places. It’s not LA but it’s not nothing. Though, full disclosure: most of these places are not super-close to each other.

For activities, Seaworld and Legoland are less ride-focused, you could hike in a bunch of places including Torrey Pines, we’ve got beaches and water activities like stand-up paddle boarding, the zoo…

tichellady

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 1:51 pm
You don’t need to go to San Diego and la together, it’s a lot of driving, and each place has plenty to do on its own

amother
Stoneblue

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 2:01 pm
I’m not hearing why you want to go to california. if you want nature and kosher just go to denver. LA is all about urban sprawl rather than nature

amother
Beige

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 3:37 pm
Ellie7 wrote:
It sounds like San Diego could be a good fit for a few days. We actually have more kosher than ever before: the supermarket in La Jolla (Ralph’s) has sushi, deli sandwiches, and some other takeout; we have a great French bakery; a pizza place; and two Israeli food places. It’s not LA but it’s not nothing. Though, full disclosure: most of these places are not super-close to each other.

For activities, Seaworld and Legoland are less ride-focused, you could hike in a bunch of places including Torrey Pines, we’ve got beaches and water activities like stand-up paddle boarding, the zoo…

Not OP but we’re being in San Diego end of June. What’s the name of the French bakery and what do they sell?

What attractions do you recommend for a couple and toddler

Ellie7

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 8:53 pm
The bakery is called Parisien Gourmandises. It’s mostly pastries but they do have limited sandwiches and salads. And everything they make is delicious. Not sure if this if applicable but they are not CY.

For attractions, the zoo, Seaworld, La Jolla Shores/Cove, and Torrey Pines are probably your best bets.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 8:58 pm
Ellie7 wrote:
The bakery is called Parisien Gourmandises. It’s mostly pastries but they do have limited sandwiches and salads. And everything they make is delicious. Not sure if this if applicable but they are not CY.

For attractions, the zoo, Seaworld, La Jolla Shores/Cove, and Torrey Pines are probably your best bets.

Thanks yes it is applicable, we only eat CY, so I guess it’s a no for us

amother
Stoneblue

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 9:52 pm
amother Beige wrote:
Not OP but we’re being in San Diego end of June. What’s the name of the French bakery and what do they sell?

What attractions do you recommend for a couple and toddler

If you like zoos check out San Diego zoo.

I personally love San Diego and have been many times but I wouldn’t choose it with a young child. I think the flight is long and jet lag is rough. Much better for older kids IMO

tichellady

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 9:52 pm
amother Stoneblue wrote:
I’m not hearing why you want to go to california. if you want nature and kosher just go to denver. LA is all about urban sprawl rather than nature

Colorado has beautiful mountains. California has beautiful mountains and ocean. If op wants to bring food there’s also amazing national parks and some of the most scenic drives in the world

amother
Beige

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 9:57 pm
amother Stoneblue wrote:
If you like zoos check out San Diego zoo.

I personally love San Diego and have been many times but I wouldn’t choose it with a young child. I think the flight is long and jet lag is rough. Much better for older kids IMO

Thanks but we are coming to a business conference. Any upscale kosher restaurants up to an hour away?

doctorima

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 12:02 am
amother Beige wrote:
Thanks but we are coming to a business conference. Any upscale kosher restaurants up to an hour away?

Unfortunately not

amother
Stoneblue

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 1:20 pm
amother Beige wrote:

No. you’d have to be in LA for upscale kosher restaurant

amother
NeonPurple

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 2:19 pm
Pico has a hotel. Cameo Beverly hill on beverwill drive by pico Blvd in Los Angeles
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics