Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Nosh on school trips -- is this a normal amount?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 4:42 pm
So I'm a very health conscious parent with who tries very hard not to make my children feel deprived while still maintaining my values. Trips were always tricky. I did NOT want my kids ogling everyone else's stuffed bags but I also couldn't stomach just letting them take oodles of candy so we always came up with what I hoped were reasonable limits, we would go shopping together and try to find things that would satisfy us both.

My oldest just turned 12 and is having a school trip this week. I decided she needs a little more independence so I told her I'm just giving her a budget and she can get whatever she wants. She was a little wary and didnt trust that I was really allowing it but I encouraged her and said shes big enough to make her own choices and promised I wouldn't comment at all on what she chose. I waited in the car and she went in by herself. This is what she came out with:

A big bar of milk chocolate
A family size box of Mike n ikes
A family size bag of jolly ranchers
A family size containers of Pringles
A family size bag of skittles
A bottle of sprite

Needless to say I had a heart attack and my stomach twisted itself into a tight knot but I kept a straight face and asked if she's happy. She said it's to share.

Now I ask all of you because clearly I'm clueless. Is this considered normal for bringing on a 7th grade school trip?? I mean, this is diabetes in a bag if you ask me. Plus a handful of autoimmune disorders. It seems wayyyy excessive, bordering on unsafe. I feel neglectful allowing my child to carry that much sugar to school. I promised I wouldn't comment so now my hands are tied but really I'm quite flabbergasted.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 4:46 pm
amother OP wrote:
So I'm a very health conscious parent with who tries very hard not to make my children feel deprived while still maintaining my values. Trips were always tricky. I did NOT want my kids ogling everyone else's stuffed bags but I also couldn't stomach just letting them take oodles of candy so we always came up with what I hoped were reasonable limits, we would go shopping together and try to find things that would satisfy us both.

My oldest just turned 12 and is having a school trip this week. I decided she needs a little more independence so I told her I'm just giving her a budget and she can get whatever she wants. She was a little wary and didnt trust that I was really allowing it but I encouraged her and said shes big enough to make her own choices and promised I wouldn't comment at all on what she chose. I waited in the car and she went in by herself. This is what she came out with:

A bottle of sprite

Needless to say I had a heart attack and my stomach twisted itself into a tight knot but I kept a straight face and asked if she's happy. She said it's to share.

Now I ask all of you because clearly I'm clueless. Is this considered normal for bringing on a 7th grade school trip?? I mean, this is diabetes in a bag if you ask me. Plus a handful of autoimmune disorders. It seems wayyyy excessive.

I think its perfect if its really to share/communal.

For my kids I allow 2-3 nosh, 2-3 snack bags and one sugary drink. They take water also. Lunch if applicable...

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 4:47 pm
It's a lot of candy, but if she kept within budget, let her be the star that shares this time. There's a benefit to that.
I really don't think she'll eat 3 family bags of candy, do you?
Just send along a container of cut fruit and a bag of pretzels to balance it out. I think she'll be looking for that at some point, to fill her belly.

amother
Steelblue

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 4:48 pm
This is for 1 day??
If so, it’s way too much

Why does your kid need family sizes? Crying

amother
Starflower

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 4:50 pm
My kids generally take
2-3 snack bags
1 pastry
1 chocolate
2 candy
1 bottle of water
1 bottle of vitamin water or snapple

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 4:50 pm
amother Hotpink wrote:
I think its perfect if its really to share/communal.

For my kids I allow 2-3 nosh, 2-3 snack bags and one sugary drink. They take water also. Lunch if applicable...
Okay but even if it is communal, if everyone is pooling that amount of nosh they are all consuming that amount. And I don't really buy the communal bit. I mean, I'm sure she's gonna share, but I know my kids and they can eat a LOT of candy if no one's stopping them. Like a whole lot more than most kids. (And for all the haters, no it's not because I restrict them. Yes, I know for sure.)

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 4:51 pm
Way too much. Why did she need so many family bags of candy? I would have discussed basic amounts like get two small candies and 3 other type of nosh. You don’t have to go extreme and not set any rules.

amother
Chambray

amother OP wrote:

A bottle of sprite

Now I ask all of you because clearly I'm clueless. Is this considered normal for bringing on a 7th grade school trip?? I mean, this is diabetes in a bag if you ask me. Plus a handful of autoimmune disorders. It seems wayyyy excessive, bordering on unsafe. I feel neglectful allowing my child to carry that much sugar to school. I promised I wouldn't comment so now my hands are tied but really I'm quite flabbergasted.

LOL it's definitely a huge amount! Kol hakavod to you for keeping a straight face! That must have been really hard. Hopefully she will share and if she doesn't she probably will feel very nauseous and it will be a learning experience!
I love your sense of humor!
As long as she doesn't have trips too often, she should be fine!!!

Success10

Oh, yuk. School trips = too much junk. It's like that here in Israel too. I try to get them to buy more snack bags, less sweets. Doesn't always work.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 4:52 pm
amother Steelblue wrote:
This is for 1 day??
If so, it’s way too much

Why does your kid need family sizes? Crying
I have no idea, and in the past when they tried to get them I always made them go back and change it for the single serving packs. I'm just as shocked as you. I though maybe she'd get 1 thing to share, but not every single item family sized...

I'm crying too. This kid struggles with her weight and with compulsive eating and I can't seem to ever get it right...

The only thing I can think of is that I made her budget too big.

giselle

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 4:54 pm
I think it’s fine. In my experience I let my kids choose what they wanted, similar to what you did, and they never eat all of it. What you did will go far for her emotional health and your relationship. One day overdoing it a bit with junk won’t hurt her.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 4:55 pm
amother Chambray wrote:
LOL it's definitely a huge amount! Kol hakavod to you for keeping a straight face! That must have been really hard. Hopefully she will share and if she doesn't she probably will feel very nauseous and it will be a learning experience!
I love your sense of humor!
As long as she doesn't have trips too often, she should be fine!!!
I don't have a sense of humor, I'm not finding it funny at all. This kid is already not fine. She's very overweight, a compulsive eater, craves sugar and junk intensely. Has other issues too. It's just that everywhere I go, I keep getting the message that restricting will make things worse. And even making comments is considered restricting. And I know she was sneaking stuff already. I guess it's lose-lose for parents like me.

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 4:56 pm
Let her keep it this time. It's better not to reneg on your words. Your relationship with her is important.

Next time before she goes in, tell her she can buy

2 snack bags
2 candy/chocolate type items
1 fun drink

Of which she can choose one of those to be family size, so she can share.

And she can add fruit, nuts and water from home to the above.

Last edited by ra_mom on Sun, May 12 2024, 5:00 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 4:57 pm
ra_mom wrote:
It's a lot of candy, but if she kept within budget, let her be the star that shares this time. There's a benefit to that.
I really don't think she'll eat 3 family bags of candy, do you?
Just send along a container of cut fruit and a bag of pretzels to balance it out. I think she'll be looking for that at some point, to fill her belly.
I'm afraid she can pack away all that. I'm sure some will get shared in exchange for... other people's candy??

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 4:58 pm
My parents never allowed candy.

We got
Super snack
Chips
Popcorn
Pretzels
Granola bars
Gum
Water

My parents aren’t health nuts.
Obviously a one day trip we got two snacks and a drink.

ra_mom

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 4:59 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm afraid she can pack away all that. I'm sure some will get shared in exchange for... other people's candy??

This time I think you should let it go. Sigh. I understand how you feel. But it's not such a good idea to go back on your words. You'll build a lot between you and her if you let it go this time.
Next time you'll give different parameters.

giselle

amother OP wrote:

This one day won’t be what makes a difference. If this is an ongoing serious issue, it may warrant consulting with a professional about how to handle it. However be very careful with whom you consult, as some nutritionists do not deal with these things in a healthy way.

amother
OP

ra_mom wrote:
Let her keep it this time. It's better not to reneg on your words. Your relationship with her is important.

Next time before she goes in, tell her she can buy

2 snack bags
2 candy/chocolate type items
1 drink

Of which she can choose one of those to be family size, so she can share.
This is similar to what we used to do until now and honestly I thought she'd stick to similar guidelines, I just didn't want to be bickering over can she get gushers instead of a third snack and can it be the big Mike n ikes instead of the small.

I didn't expect this

imanotmommy

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 5:01 pm
I remember wanting to bring tons of nosh on school trips, but not actually eating most of it-because I was busy, plus overestimated how hungry I'd be

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 5:05 pm
imanotmommy wrote:
I remember wanting to bring tons of nosh on school trips, but not actually eating most of it-because I was busy, plus overestimated how hungry I'd be
My kids are not like that. They are large eaters in general and don't really have a stop button when it comes to candy. They never "forget" or are "too busy" or not hungry enough to eat nosh.
Page 1 of 9   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics